Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meatloaf Again?!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Like a Bat out of hell, he been aging well!
    Still alive and well...

Never heard of him.

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I believe Tom Brislin is playing keyboards for him on the current tour.

^ Wow, Tom has got a decent career going it seems - good for him! Well deserved.

Mr. Loaf looks like Lee Majors in that photo.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Mr. Loaf looks like Lee Majors in that photo.
    The Six Million Dollar Entree?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

I saw a documentary on TV a few years ago which showed behind the scenes footage from a Meatloaf tour. Say what you will about Meatloaf or his music, but that man gave every ounce of his being every show to the point of utter physical exhaustion. I definitely gained a lot of respect for the man after seeing that.

I saw Meat in a club back in the 90’s. It was after his star had fallen, but before “Bat II” had put him back on top. It was just him and his band in a large club and he just fucking slayed it. I was blown away by how good he was. He literally commanded the stage and his band were all top notch. He did an almost 3 hour show with no intermission, and by the end he appeared to be exhausted, but it was an amazing performance. I gained a ton of respect for the guy that night. I saw him again when he was headlining big arenas with the big production, lights and effects. That show was good too, but not at the same level. Meat does not get a lot of respect, but in his prime he was one hell of a performer. I have not seen him lately though.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw Meat in a club back in the 90’s. It was after his star had fallen, but before “Bat II” had put him back on top. It was just him and his band in a large club and he just fucking slayed it. I was blown away by how good he was. He literally commanded the stage and his band were all top notch. He did an almost 3 hour show with no intermission, and by the end he appeared to be exhausted, but it was an amazing performance. I gained a ton of respect for the guy that night. I saw him again when he was headlining big arenas with the big production, lights and effects. That show was good too, but not at the same level. Meat does not get a lot of respect, but in his prime he was one hell of a performer. I have not seen him lately though.
    I wonder if the lack of respect for Meatloaf had something to do with his moniker? image.jpg. I seem to remember a band called "String Cheese" having the same problem.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    I wonder if the lack of respect for Meatloaf had something to do with his moniker? image.jpg. I seem to remember a band called "String Cheese" having the same problem.
    I can't remember how he got the name. Someone called him that when he was young (he was always overweight) and it stuck. I read his autobiography a while back and it was a pretty interesting read. He has led an up and down life. As for String Cheese there is a jam band called The String Cheese Incident, but not heard of just String Cheese.

As for String Cheese there is a jam band called The String Cheese Incident, but not heard of just String Cheese.
    There was an early '70s psych/folk band called String Cheese that was comparable to It's a Beautiful Day, with violin and mixed male/female vocals.

Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I can't remember how he got the name. Someone called him that when he was young (he was always overweight) and it stuck.
    I remember he was on some awards show with Fats Domino or Chubby Checker, I forget which, but this was back in the 80's, I think. Anyway, whoever the other guy, Fats or Chubby, says "So, why do they call you Meat Loaf?" and he replies "Because Chubby (or Fats) was already taken!"

And for Breakfast?
    Still alive and well...

He should have called himself Cheese Log. Seriously though, I like his music, and aside from his politics (nuff said) I have nothing against him.

He's great in The Rocky Horror Picture Show....Meat aside, I am so thankful to PE and it's members posting links to stuff like the String Cheese band and all the other great obscure stuff I would never have been exposed to !!! A very BIG heartfelt , THANK YOU!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Seriously though, I like his music, and aside from his politics (nuff said) I have nothing against him.
    Nope, you said too much already ... Is he a Nuge-like character??

Actually, I only ever lived BooH (and the Steinman-sung follow-up a tiny bit). BooH played an enormous part in my life back in 77/78

It's not like I detest whatever he & Jim did afterwards, but what's the point of repeating yourseld endlessly?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Nope, you said too much already ... Is he a Nuge-like character??
    I don't think he goes to the extremes Nugent goes to. I shouldn't have mentioned it, it just sometimes surprises me that someone who did something like Rocky Horror is a conservative.

He was also great in his Fight Club role, prosthetic man-boobs 'n all...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

I wonder if the lack of respect for Meatloaf had something to do with his moniker? image.jpg.
    That first album cover will haunt your nightmares:

Whatever became of Stoney, anyway? She was a pretty good singer!

I seem to remember a band called "String Cheese" having the same problem.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

the Steinman-sung follow-up a tiny bit
    The Steinman record was actually meant to be the second Meatloaf album, but Meat had a nervous breakdown, which kept him from being able to sing for like a year after the Bat Out Of Hell tour ended. Apparently, they went into the studio to record, and he literally couldn't hit the notes he used to be able to hit. And trying to resolve the situation took so long, that Steinman just put the record out with himself singing all the songs.

With regard to Rocky Horror, supposedly he was the first person to play the role of Eddie to sing the song the way Richard O'Brien wrote it. Supposedly, everyone who had played Eddie onstage, at least up to that point anyway, had trouble singing all the words O'Brien had written.

Cool doc I have in the dvr at the moment, Meat Loaf:In and Out of Hell

Never knew he was in Hair. Heck, I have no clue what Hair is about as I've never heard it. The Steinman album, that kinda sucked for Meat and I felt bad for him.

Took so long for him to get back up there and then it was so short lived. I do think the BooH2 gave him some credence as he'd been kinda slagged for years and at least gave him a career. Maybe not on the level he would have liked, or even deserved, but it isn't all up to him. It's also Steinman, for better or worse, and thems the way things roll.

Good job he did in House and that other show I forget where he was a Sangria priest - the X-Files, maybe?

I never knew BooH was sort of a concept album either. Thanks for the thread. I just watched the doc a month or so ago but really wanted to watch it again and take notes then start a thread(gotta do the research, you know) but I had been slacking. That's all I have for now, I'll watch it again and see what pops up I thought was interesting.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Hmmm... Re-discovering meatloaf. Who'da thunk it?
    Still alive and well...

Hmmm... Re-discovering meatloaf. Who'da thunk it?
    When I was a kid I rediscovered meatloaf in my lunchbox whenever we'd had it for dinner the night before.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    When I was a kid I rediscovered meatloaf in my lunchbox whenever we'd had it for dinner the night before.
    Don't let yer meat loaf. HUH HUH HUH.