Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northern Exposure (Alaska) Crowdfunding by "Ed"!

Northern Exposure (Alaska) Crowdfunding by "Ed"!

Hi everyone,

do you remeber the fanstastic TV series "Northern Exposure" from the 1990s?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure

Actor Darren Burrows ("Ed Chigliak") tries to finance at least one final episode of Northern Exposure: "Home Again".

Please pick your perk (you can be part of Cicerly !) over there - but hurry - the campaign ends 17th April 2016!

http://morenoexnow.org/

Oh, I thought that the BAND Alaska were reforming and their new album was going to be called: Northern Exposure and they were crowd-funding the recording bill.

One of the finest TV-series I ever saw. It had everything - and I mean everything. You wanted to live in there, even as a grownup.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

It was a gem. One of the few shows I looked forward to seeing a new episode.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I remember the show. My dad and ex step mother used to watch it. I remember it being a very good drama series. Wasn't the actor who played Ed in the Big fat Greek wedding movies?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

A coworker of mine had a good friend that worked on that show. She said almost everyone was a gem to work with though Rob Morrow could be a little full of himself once the show got popular. Janine Turner was just a bitch from day one.

My two favorite episodes were Adam's wedding and of course, the catapult in the meadow.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

One of my favorite series of all time, but doing a final show this many years later? No.

John Cullum is 86! Barry Corbin's 76!
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

and some cast members have passed away...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I didn't watch that show much, but I can see how people who did see it as a good memory. It seemed pretty good, I've just always been hesitant to get involved in series' because I just don't like that "roped in" feeling. Although it's happened recently with Walking Dead and Game of Thrones. Though I've slacked off on Walking Dead recently.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    John Cullum is 86!
    The guy already looked half dead on appearing in No Country for Old Men some eight or nine years back. WAIT! That was Corbett.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 04-05-2016 at 05:14 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    and some cast members have passed away...
    "only" Peg Phillips (Ruth-Anne) so far... but time flies

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Rob Morrow
    Didn't he leave that show to become a big movie star? Cue the crickets. A la Topher Grace from That 70s Show and Mischa Barton from The O.C.

I liked that show a lot until Rob Morrow left. He took the magic with him.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    True. I can still remember the expression in my first wife's face when Fleischman during one of those pseudo-surrealist semi-fourth-wall sequences leaves the woods outside of Cicely and enters a riverboat to cross the Hudson (or whatever); she looked at me in anguish, hesitantly waiting before uttering "Is...is this for real? Joel Fleischman's gone from the series? Just like that?" And then she actually started crying. I'll never forget it. We had enjoyed some 90 episodes of that show in the spur of about two years or so, typically late Saturday evenings after we'd finally succeeded at getting our kid to sleep. I think this is 15-16 years back.

Thank you for your memories about this series.
    I used to watch it back then in the early 90s during my studies. In German TV the series was always broadcast late night. So, not many people know it (nowadays) over here.

Thanks to the excellent re-elease of the whole series we can enjoy the whole series once again in unequalled picture quality and with the original music (for the first time on DVD?) + bonus. It is limited to 3000 pcs and only available through Amazon Germany: http://www.amazon.de/Ausgerechnet-Al...rechnet+alaska
    Donīt be afraid: Itīs German AND English but no subtitles

By now Cynthia Geary (Shelly) must be a MILF?!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

By now Cynthia Geary (Shelly) must be a MILF?!
    By today's naughty standards, she was pretty much (more or less) a MILF already at the end of the series. Apparently a woman is a MILF at the turn of 25 now, and a cougar by 30.

Christ. I obviously mostly deal in old hags these days.

Enjoyed the show very much, back when I watched episodic TV. I seem to have moved on from watching series, for better or worse. I am totally out of it WRT to any of the popular shows. Not sure it's a bad thing, though.

Janine Turner was just a bitch from day one.
    I used to like her a lot until she opened her mouth after the show went off the air.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Sicily Alaska was actually a little town called Roslyn up in the Cascades in Washington state. I used to stop by there when I went skiing. The big sign on the side of the Roslyn Cafe, they changed to read Roslyn's Cafe.

I liked the earlier seasons, but they lost me in the last couple seasons. It just got too weird. Fleichman just got too "Alaskan" (nuts), playing golf using branches and rocks. It was his reluctance to embrace Sicily that made it interesting.

Ed was the kid/Shaman in the show, not the full time Radio host. He only occasionally took over that job. The "Chris" guy who was the regular radio host was the one in My great big fat Greek Wedding. "Ed" also was a bass player in a band in the Seattle Area, that never really went anywhere. I think they were part of the pre-grunge movement that totally destroyed the Seattle music scene in the 90's.

It will be interesting to see if he can crowdfund even one episode. I would watch it, if for no other reason - nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Enjoyed the show very much, back when I watched episodic TV. I seem to have moved on from watching series, for better or worse. I am totally out of it WRT to any of the popular shows. Not sure it's a bad thing, though.

I used to like her a lot until she opened her mouth after the show went off the air.
    Yup, Susan Sarandon Lite she was in Cliffhanger with Sly Stallone, and did some TV commercials. Rob Morrow had some success with the TV series Numbers - that lasted for more than a few seasons, IIRC dinnit? And didn't the Native American actress (the receptionist) pass away?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Sicily Alaska was actually a little town called Roslyn up in the Cascades in Washington state. I used to stop by there when I went skiing. The big sign on the side of the Roslyn Cafe, they changed to read Roslyn's Cafe.
    Yep.

Most of the interior shots were filmed in a warehouse in Redmond, WA (suburb of Seattle). When the show ended, the company I work for rented the space to use as additional manufacturing footprint. We named the plant "Moosewerks" as a tribute to a couple of Moose. I worked in this location from late '95 until early '02.

There were remnants of the film crew left behind when we moved in (little stickers in a closet with episode names, a phone number for Industrial Light & Magic written in pencil on a wall).

We have since let the building go, and the Wiki entry is wrong in stating that we moved our HQ there.

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Yup, Susan Sarandon Lite
    Complete opposite end of the spectrum, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Complete opposite end of the spectrum, though.
    Yeah, I should've clarified that Blue State/Red State deal between the two of 'em...

very good show, a town full of very diverse personalities that had great chemistry together.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Didn't he leave that show to become a big movie star? Cue the crickets. A la Topher Grace from That 70s Show and Mischa Barton from The O.C.

Morrow actually has a pretty successful career going. Not 'movie star' level, but he's worked very steadily.

His latest is playing Barry Scheck in the bad OJ Trial mini-series.

Janine Turner turned into a complete wacko. A birther, and the rest of ridiculous worldview that goes along with that.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell