Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Appearances by rock bands on episodic TV shows

Oh and I forgot Thank God It's Friday. Yeah, technically it's a music related film, and technically she wasn't yet the lead singer of Berlin, but Terri Nunn does have a non-singing role in it. I also remember on one of those "crime drama" shows. IMDB says she was on a Barnaby Jones, a Vega$, and a T.J. Hooker (amongst other jobs), so it must have been one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Recalling Mickey Dolenz on a Mike Hammer episode..and I'm sure on a bunch of other shows..
    I think I might have seen that Mike Hammer episode too.
    According to Wikipedia, both he and Nesmith auditioned to play Fonzi on Happy Days.

And yeah, he's done lots of other TV shows, including lots of cartoon voices.

Wasn't Rick James also in an episode of The A-Team?

Gene Simmons has been in Angie Tribeca, Scorpion, CSI, Castle, Ugly Betty, Miami Vice and Third Watch among others. He has also voiced characters on SpongeBob SquarePants and other Family Guy characters over the years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005430/?..._al_nm_1#actor
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    What about real bands appearing and performing in movies, either with their own name or with a name just for the film, and where the movie is not about the band or even about music. I can't think of any to be honest.

Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-03-2016 at 02:07 PM.

I think I remember Bill Gibbons (ZZTop) as himself on a recent crime show (forgot which one)

Mick Fleetwood played a fishy Alien on Star Trek.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    I think I remember Bill Gibbons (ZZTop) as himself on a recent crime show (forgot which one)
    Dusty Hill voiced himself on an episode of King of the Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Recalling Mickey Dolenz on a Mike Hammer episode..and I'm sure on a bunch of other shows..
    Also the voice of Arthur on The Tick.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

And what about all those guest performances in the TV series Treme, like Elvis Costello, one of the Marsalis-brothers, Dr. John etc.

Eddie Money- King of Queens

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but not too long ago RUSH(well Geddy and Alex anyway)had a cameo on the show "Chicago Fire." I can't really think of any other examples. I have seen Jon Anderson and YES on late night tv but that was a long time ago.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Steven Tyler's Super Bowl Skittles commercial-

Just ran a few minutes ago in fact.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Ringo's ad-

Here are two I don't think have been mentioned yet:

In the early 80s there was a show called Square Pegs about two nerdy HS girls. I think I'm the only one who remembers it. On one episode they were forming a band and one of them said "hey I know the drummer from the Doors. Maybe he could play with us" Sure enough, Densmore showed up and played with their band.

Also, on the Flintstones, they would watch the "Beau Brummelstones" on TV which were cartoon versions of the real Beau Brummels. I forget what song(s) they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Dusty Hill voiced himself on an episode of King of the Hill.

All of ZZ Top were in that. As I recall, it turned out Dusty was Hank's cousin, and ZZ Top were doing a reality show. But once the producer met Hank, he decided Hank should be the "star" of the show, so they were deliberately doing shit to piss Hank off. They eventually took Cotton's Cadillac (which Cotton had given to Dusty, even though it was a known fact that Hank coveted it) and ran in a demolition derby, with Dusty behind the wheel. The car ends up crashing, with a leaking gas tank, but Dusty's beard gets caught in the driver harness, so he was trapped, and they had to cut his beard off to get him out before the car blew up.

Billy Gibbons was on Bones. He had a recurring role as a sort of fictionalized version of himself, with one of the regular lady characters apparently being his daughter. He tells the guy who wants to marry her, "You know I like cars, guitars, and guns. You treat her right, and you'll have to see the cars and guitars. You feel me?!".

And though none of the performers actually do their own voices, on The Venture Brothers, Iggy Pop, Klaus Nomi, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Buddy Holly, and JP Richardson all got drawn into the action. Yes, I know four of those people are apparently dead, but at the time, but Bowie was still alive when it appeared that he was The Sovereign (which was later retconned with the Sovereign merely being a shapeshifter who was pretending to be David Bowie). The most recent series had an episode with a NYC based villain who was clearly patterned on Andy Warhol.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Magma - not TV-series but movie

'Jean Yanne Moi Y En A Vouloir Des Sous' 1972773

Tristan et Iseult (by Yves LaGrange) 1974
    How could I have frotten about that Magma appearance... A cult JY movie in my book ... but not because of Magma

Something similar to the T & Y thing as well

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    The soundtrack album released by Sundazed is a nice "lost" album from the original group.
    Yeah, though a lot of it was released in the bonus tracks of the remastered first four album (especially in Cleart's bonus tracks)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Can't find it on YouTube, but I remember Reggie Workman was on one of the Cosby sitcoms playing something like a local musician at a church hall.

Karl Denson of Karl Denson's Tiny Universe was in the band Sexual Chocolate in the movie "Coming to America."

"I believe that children are our future..."
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    In the early 80s there was a show called Square Pegs about two nerdy HS girls. I think I'm the only one who remembers it. On one episode they were forming a band and one of them said "hey I know the drummer from the Doors. Maybe he could play with us" Sure enough, Densmore showed up and played with their band.
    Excellent show! I cite this series as a ground-zero for the mid-late 80s teen movies. Jamie Gertz and Sarah Jessica Parker were the stars here.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Mick Fleetwood played a fishy Alien on Star Trek.
    Mick was also in the movie The Running Man, alongside Dweezil Zappa.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure has Jane Weidlin, Clarence Clemons, Fee Waybil, and Martha Davis.

Fantasy Island and Love Boat had a lot of musical artists. Many didn't perform and were simply there acting. Sonny Bono performed as Deacon Dark; a KISS-like character.

And Donny Most, although not a musician, was on CHiPs as a similar character named Moloch

The KISS-themed trend lead off season 3, episode 1 of The Incredible Hulk. Mackenzie Phillips was the lead singer here:

Besides Leif Garrett on CHiPs, that show also had Laura Branigan acting and performing

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Can't find it on YouTube, but I remember Reggie Workman was on one of the Cosby sitcoms playing something like a local musician at a church hall.
    Cosby had lots of jazz & blues musicians on. Claire's father (I believe?) was played by singer Joe Williams. Others included Dizzy Gillespie, Stevie Wonder, BB King, Lena Horne, many others.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Cosby had lots of jazz & blues musicians on. Claire's father (I believe?) was played by singer Joe Williams. Others included Dizzy Gillespie, Stevie Wonder, BB King, Lena Horne, many others.
    I remember Lena guesting on Sanford and Son as well...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

David Bowie on "Extras"

Michael Jackson was on "The Dating Game"
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    In the early 80s there was a show called Square Pegs about two nerdy HS girls.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Michael Jackson was on "The Dating Game"
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-