Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk

I guess it would be beneficial to start a new thread on this group (instead of just burying it in the middle of Yves Top 5 Krautrock thread for cataloging future searches here).

So, I guess I'll start by asking if there are any fans of the first four (4) Kraftwerk albums? (Tone Float, Kraftwerk I, Kraftwerk 2, Ralf and Florian)

I had forgotten how much I really dig the s/t 1970 album! More organic than the later stuff and gets pretty psychy. A great driving album IMO, you just toss it on and GO. I like. I think I had heard "2" possibly once but I have no recollection. I'm fairly sure I have never heard "Tone Float" or "Ralf and Florian". If anybody has some insight into these earlier albums, I would appreciate it - danke

I've never heard Tone Float and didn't think it was considered a Kraftwerk album. Ralf & Florian is my favorite Kraftwerk--it's the transitional album between the avant-garde early stuff (which I also dig, but I've never listened to it very much) and the electropop that grew out of Autobahn (which is my second favorite).

The only one I really like from start to finish is Autobahn. They got a little too kitschy with the robotic posturing for my tastes after that. I really like “Ruckzuck” off of their debut, but the rest of it just sounds like random machine noises to me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Tone Float I believe goes under the moniker The Organization. Out of the four, I like the self-titled the most. A lot of people still don't know they did anything before Autobahn...helped in part by the group refusing to reissue that stuff. Here's them performing live in 1970:

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So, I guess I'll start by asking if there are any fans of the first four (4) Kraftwerk albums? (Tone Float, Kraftwerk I, Kraftwerk 2, Ralf and Florian)
    Tone Float is not Kraftwerk for me. Organisation might be a predecessor but they were a different band at heart. More psychedelic.

I'm among those that consider the first 3 Kraftwerk LPs the best they ever did. I've been slightly deceived with Autobahn's more accessible/radio friendly approach and everything post Mensch-Maschine left me completely indifferent.

PS. For the record. The cover of Organisation's Tone FLoat was designed by no other than Mr. Roger Wootton of Comus (who also did the cover for the Horse album and First Utterance as well).
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Tone Float I believe goes under the moniker The Organization. Out of the four, I like the self-titled the most. A lot of people still don't know they did anything before Autobahn...helped in part by the group refusing to reissue that stuff. Here's them performing live in 1970:

Wow...I'd never seen this footage before. Very interesting! Thanks

I have 'Ralf & Florian' on vinyl but none of the other early albums...I do like it although admittedly I'm a bigger fan of the stuff that followed.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only one I really like from start to finish is Autobahn.
    Funny, I'm the opposite. Autobahn's second half has always felt sort of filler-ish, possibly because the first is so good it's nearly impossible to follow. I still listen to it all the way through more than half the time, but it doesn't seem to have the start-to-finish consistency of Man-Machine or even Electric Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Wow...I'd never seen this footage before. Very interesting! Thanks

I have 'Ralf & Florian' on vinyl but none of the other early albums...I do like it although admittedly I'm a bigger fan of the stuff that followed.
    That Kraftwerk concert clip is unbelievable, including the mere fact that it exists at all! What an important and historical musical treasure that is. The expressions and interaction of the audience is so fascinating, although I'm surprised nobody beat the creamcheese out of that guy with the whistle - oye. THANKS for posting Z-man

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Tone Float is not Kraftwerk for me. Organisation might be a predecessor but they were a different band at heart. More psychedelic.

I'm among those that consider the first 3 Kraftwerk LPs the best they ever did.
    Nice - glad to hear that. BTW, I just assumed it was a KW album as the cover of the album says both Kraftwerk/Tone Float - was that added later on?

as the cover of the album says both Kraftwerk/Tone Float - was that added later on?
    Yes. I think it had been added on the second CD reissue.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Funny, I'm the opposite. Autobahn's second half has always felt sort of filler-ish, possibly because the first is so good it's nearly impossible to follow.
    I have a soft spot for the “electronic folk” sound they were attempting on Side 2. It’s absolutely different from anything they’ve done before or since. Of course, Side 1 is an unimpeachable classic.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Waiting for Scrotum to pop in here, might be busy snipping his balls again?

I guess it would be beneficial to start a new thread on this group (instead of just burying it in the middle of Yves Top 5 Krautrock thread for cataloging future searches here).

I had forgotten how much I really dig the s/t 1970 album! More organic than the later stuff and gets pretty psychy. A great driving album IMO, you just toss it on and GO. I like. I think I had heard "2" possibly once but I have no recollection. I'm fairly sure I have never heard "Tone Float" or "Ralf and Florian". If anybody has some insight into these earlier albums, I would appreciate it - danke
    I'm a fan ONLY of the 1st four!

Tome Float is not a KW album and I'm not including it, although it's more than ok.

They all have their moments, but #1 for me fer sure is Ralf Und Florian.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Really! I always thought I was the only one.

Never heard Tone Float (but I plan to someday), and personally, I've never heard called a Kraftwerk album.

I'm among those that consider the first 3 Kraftwerk LPs the best they ever did. I've been slightly deceived with Autobahn's more accessible/radio friendly approach and everything post Mensch-Maschine left me completely indifferent.
    Absofuckinglutely!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm a fan ONLY of the 1st four!

Tome Float is not a KW album and I'm not including it, although it's more than ok.

If TF is not a KW (which I gree), than your first four include Autobahn, then??

Personally I prefer Radio-Aktivitat to Autobahn.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I never liked any of their music then, have tried a couple of times to re-check, but it didnt change anything.

I'm trying to get a sense of how big these guys were at their height (it seems these latest shows were a fairly big production). Is there another band we know that is sort-of comparable?

Stylewise: Yellow Magic Orchestra (especially the album Technodelic)

I like them more.

Certainly. Organisation were very much a purveyor of that early underground "free sound" so prevalent in West Germany in 1968-70. Tone Float definitely has some historical importance in that respect, but is not indicative of Kraftwerk as conceptual project.

I love the first three Krafts and think they were great up until Radio Aktivität (which is actually one of my fave records by them).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I love the first three Krafts and think they were great up until Radio Aktivität (which is actually one of my fave records by them).
    Heard of this, then?

https://matthewbourne.bandcamp.com/a...vity-revisited

^ ^ ^

Matthew Bourne is good. Going to listen to this now. Thanks for the post.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Waiting for Scrotum to pop in here, might be busy snipping his balls again?
    Frankie, I didn't snip today - I snapped. Turned out badly for that one bald ball called Teddy.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Frankie, I didn't snip today - I snapped. Turned out badly for that one bald ball called Teddy.
    Teddy and Freddy

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I like
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com