Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Yugen: Death By Water

New Yugen: Death By Water

http://altrockproductions.bandcamp.c...death-by-water

This sounds pretty intriguing! I have everything this unique band has released and enjoy it a lot. Of course, I have to be in the mood for it because this music demands your attention. One of the more original ensembles out there in prog-land...

Auto buy !

+1 on that

Banned
    Ditto - their complex arrangements and musicianship as a group IMO is astounding. Fantastic band!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It sounds bloody awesome!
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

September 2017 for the cd??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lucetjosee69 View Post
    September 2017 for the cd??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, somehow I think that is an error.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

OMG this is the best thing I've heard in a while

I received it this morning. My wife was in terror. This is a good sign.

But I need to give this a better listen when she is not around.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    My wife was in terror. This is a good sign.
    This has always been my approach as well, but somehow that logic tends to turn out to my unfortunate disadvantage. Excuse the apparent pleonasm.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

After one full listening session: A very impressive array of sounds, textures, moods and voices. In the past Fransesco Zago had different projects for his more ambient things ( Kurai, Empty days) and kept Yugen strictly Avant/chamber prog.
    ON the new Yugen he seems to have integrated all his different styles. Certainly the most diverse Yugen album to date.

Impossible to say yet how this will hold up on the long run but very impressed so far!

After one full listening session: A very impressive array of sounds, textures, moods and voices. In the past Fransesco Zago had different projects for his more ambient things ( Kurai, Empty days) and kept Yugen strictly Avant/chamber prog.
    ON the new Yugen he seems to have integrated all his different styles. Certainly the most diverse Yugen album to date.

Impossible to say yet how this will hold up on the long run but very impressed so far!
    I'm on a third listen now... its so lush... tons of layers... and when you isolate that guitar from Francesco... oh boy oh boy. Its KILLER. The quieter sections are just beautiful. The track order is awesome too. It all flows so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    I'm on a third listen now... its so lush... tons of layers... and when you isolate that guitar from Francesco... oh boy oh boy. Its KILLER. The quieter sections are just beautiful. The track order is awesome too. It all flows so great.
    After 4 plays: absolutely outstanding. Best they did so far.

I agree about the flow. One point though: the first track is probably the most 'difficult' track on the album. This might scare away some people who hear Yugen for the first time.

So for potential first timers: hang in there! It will be worthwhile!

After 4 plays: absolutely outstanding. Best they did so far.

I agree about the flow. One point though: the first track is probably the most 'difficult' track on the album. This might scare away some people who hear Yugen for the first time.

So for potential first timers: hang in there! It will be worthwhile!
    Good point on the first track... it had the opposite effect on me... since I'm familiar with the music - it got me extremely frothy on the first 5 seconds. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Good point on the first track... it had the opposite effect on me... since I'm familiar with the music - it got me extremely frothy on the first 5 seconds. lol
    It's a great track to scare away unwanted guests or -in my case- the wife

Your wife is an unwanted guest? Sheesh

I'm always surprised to hear so many people say their wives don't like this sort of stuff. It's really not true that women, in general, can't appreciate this music. After all, there are quite a number of women who make it. My being into this sort of thing is practically what got me my wife

Surely some of you have wives that like this music, eh? Just curious... anyways...

This does sound excellent. He's always very good. I like that he's mixing his styles more on this. Very cool.

Thanks for the heads up
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Bought and listening... oh yes!
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

My wife likes it in small doses, she needs to be prepared and concentrate - or its irritating.
    I can relate to that.

My wife hates all this stuff, she refuses to let me play it in the house while she's awake, fortunately she's usually in bed by 9
    Only stuff I can play when she is around is straight Blues, Jazz, Rock & Metal.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    My wife hates all this stuff, she refuses to let me play it in the house while she's awake, fortunately she's usually in bed by 9
    Only stuff I can play when she is around is straight Blues, Jazz, Rock & Metal.
    My wife finds portions of all my music that she does like... she is pretty open to lots of it - but the stuff like Doctor Nerve and Happy Family - not so much. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Your wife is an unwanted guest? Sheesh [emoji38]

I'm always surprised to hear so many people say their wives don't like this sort of stuff. It's really not true that women, in general, can't appreciate this music. After all, there are quite a number of women who make it. My being into this sort of thing is practically what got me my wife

Surely some of you have wives that like this music, eh? Just curious... anyways...

This does sound excellent. He's always very good. I like that he's mixing his styles more on this. Very cool.

Thanks for the heads up
    My wife actually likes some of my music; Aranis and five storey ensemble for instance. Even the latest Panzerpappa was tolerated. But yeah, that first track of the new Yugen drives her up the walls .

I am very lucky to have a girlfriend who really digs pretty much everything that I play her. She loves TP's A History of Madness, for example, and is very open to adventurous music, in general.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I am very lucky to have a girlfriend who really digs pretty much everything that I play her. She loves TP's A History of Madness, for example, and is very open to adventurous music, in general.

neil
    Plus she's a sweetheart
    Ian

Anything more adventurous than Dan Fogelberg, my wife gives me the "turn it down" look.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My wife likes it in small doses, she needs to be prepared and concentrate - or its irritating.
    I can relate to that.
    I can add that I took my wife to a Magma concert in october 2015, and she liked it a lot !
    We have seen Kraan several times, Hiromi, Jean Paul Bourelly and a lot of jazz together.