Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Top 5 Krautrock Albums?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Really loving AD II "Tanz Der Lemminge"....such an original sound and so all over the map. I wonder why this album isn't more popular, but then again I think the music itself just answered my own question. If anybody out there is bored with the latest 90+ minute Bike Fortnoix greatest epic ever written, put on your big boy suit and give this one a test drive, then go worship at The Marilyn Monroe-Memorial-Church.
    I bought Tanz der Lemmings around 1973 for $1.95 at a used record shop because of the cover and the wild song names, I was about 14 and loved it (and still do)...! When I listen to it, its unique sound structures still blow me away...

Interesting Klaus Dinger dedicated Radio Show with an interview and different tracks from his career.
    http://www.nts.live/shows/guests/epi...-december-2016

Envoyé de mon GT-I9195 en utilisant Tapatalk
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Thanks for all the recommendations... I'm guessing nobody here buys digital dowloads so you cannot advise me where I can pick up the first 2 Ash Ra Tempel releases...

My next purchases are looking like:

Gila- Free Electric Sound ( not sure where I can get a dowload for this one either)

I'm discovering a lot of really good shit and have been listening to nothing but krautrock for days now...
    Not sure if you have ruled out physical releases, but this Gila album has been reissued on CD: http://lasercd.com/cd/free-electric-sound

Jail-House-Frog....how great is this tune?!

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Jail-House-Frog....how great is this tune?!
    I'm pretty sure it provides its own contact high.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Really enjoyed Latin Mass by OS MUNDI last week, spun it all week along with a couple of others. More Krautrock than the more jazzy and popular followup 43 Minuten. I do prefer the second one myself but the debut from 1971 hits the spot.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Revisiting Can, AD II, and Faust albums. Pretty much all great. I've gotten more mileage out of Yeti this time than ever before. The three last tracks - the "Yeti" improvisations and "Sandoz in the Rain" are amazing.

Just received KRAUTWERK with Harald Grosskopf and Eberhard Kranemann, the former drummer and the latter a founding member of Kraftwerk. EXCELLENT album!

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Dunno if this has already been posted, but there are several excellent compilations of TV appearances etc. of krautrock groups of all possible denominations. This one presents footage of some bands that I hardly ever though I'd get to see:

Of particular note are the clips with Ton Steine Scherben, in which their vital 'live rock' presence is particularly highlighted.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

the "Yeti" improvisations and "Sandoz in the Rain" are amazing.

Sandoz in the Rain
    is one the best acid folk numbers ever put on vinyl.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Sandoz in the Rain
    I believe we mentioned that song already?

But Yeah, what basically makes it stand out is the fact that it was essentially just an impulsive, all-improvised recording of a nonsensical text and acoustic guitar chord structure plus flute, perfectly capturing the mood of a spontaneous jam at a particularly successful hippy-party night. I don't think they ever really outdid that tune.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post

Sandoz in the Rain
    is one the best acid folk numbers ever put on vinyl.
    Yes but Syntelman's March of the Roaring Seventies is even better.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My fave is Snow Your Thirst and Sun Your Open Mouth from Paradieswarts Duul.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post

But Yeah, what basically makes it stand out is the fact that it was essentially just an impulsive, all-improvised recording of a nonsensical text and acoustic guitar chord structure plus flute, perfectly capturing the mood of a spontaneous jam at a particularly successful hippy-party night. I don't think they ever really outdid that tune.
    It has a vibe not unlike Comus

Indeed, or the Pass the Distance album by Simon Finn (check if you haven't already heard it).

Still I agree that "Syntelman's March" has something very, very special going. The structure itself is so weird that it completely neutralizes the errors of weak vox/pronounciation. In a sense they lost something after Tanz, I think, when (apparently) they more or less quit the communal drug-culture thing and went headfirst into politics and schnapps.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    My fave is Snow Your Thirst and Sun Your Open Mouth from Paradieswarts Duul.
    that's an amazing album... and the only thing worthwhile from the "other AD"

I'll have to spin Yeti to hear that Comus vibe,n cos I have not heard it so far.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

We did mention it. But it is so brellant that it wipes out the past that we mention it again and again...in an eternal loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I'll have to spin Yeti to hear that Comus vibe,n cos I have not heard it so far.
    Just in "Sandoz..." imo, not the entire album.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Yes but Syntelman's March of the Roaring Seventies is even better.
    To me they are quite different, but both great. "Syntelman's" is a trippy krautprog epic, while "Sandoz" is acid folk, like Spyros said.

Indeed, or the Pass the Distance album by Simon Finn (check if you haven't already heard it).

Still I agree that "Syntelman's March" has something very, very special going. The structure itself is so weird that it completely neutralizes the errors of weak vox/pronounciation. In a sense they lost something after Tanz, I think, when (apparently) they more or less quit the communal drug-culture thing and went headfirst into politics and schnapps.
    Don't know the Finn tune but will investigate. Danke.

I don't know Carnival and Wolf as well as I should, but the first three all indeed share something special.

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn

Vor uns liegt ein weites Tal
    Die Sonne scheint mit Glitzerstrahl

Die Fahrbahn ist ein graues Band
    Weisse Streifen, gruener Rand

Jetzt schalten wir ja das Radio an
    Aus dem Lautsprecher klingt es dann:
    Wir fah'rn auf der Autobahn...
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Giving Guru Guru Kanguru a few spins past two days. Holy smokes - I am now totally connecting with this album and its great. Good vintage sound, very interesting jams with excellent and interesting textures/colors, etc. The whole album is really a treat for the ear canals. I like (a lot).

(The RW Krautrock Doc sent me into this direction)
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Kanguru is my favorite along with the amazing Radio Bremen broadcast from September 21, 1971

"Like your favorite Cream album with its brains destroyed by LSD", said a very wise man once.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

OK will check out....danke.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Kanguru is my favorite along with the amazing Radio Bremen broadcast from September 21, 1971

"Like your favorite Cream album with its brains destroyed by LSD", said a very wise man once.
    This site says September 12

https://midheaven.com/item/live-in-b...guru-guru-lpcd

wasn't aware of its existance, though.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.