Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 8 of the Best Progressive Rock Albums of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    (btw, I'm just a fan who never played guitar).
    It's obvious you never played guitar, nor do you have any concept of how blues songs are composed. However, I've played blues for decades. You had two different posters explain it to you with specific compositional knowledge, breaking down all the blues elements in the song.

You have nothing worthwhile to add. Quit embarrassing yourself.

P.S. It's obvious that it's only a matter of time before you get banned from here as you did on ProgArchives. Better start making your sock puppets so you have someone that will agree with you.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

HAHAH.. Given all the inputs read here, no need to go for any other prog list , sort of that.

Quote Originally Posted by proggosaurus View Post
    you da man!....meanwhile, I'll retreat to the shadows and continue playing with my dick. it's the most progressive thing I own. well, it was in the 70's
    Hahahahahah
    Still alive and well...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    (...) I've played blues for decades. (...)
    That's great, but please put one of your gig at Youtube, otherwise I can not believe you because you and your lawyer insist that this song is blues:

Blues, Elffy? On balalaika, with just a bit of orient, eh?

Is this guy your bassist, Elffy?

You had two different posters explain it to you with specific compositional knowledge, breaking down all the blues elements in the song.
    He's halfway admitted that he doesn't understand music on a technical level. Otherwise, he would have tried to refute my contention in the same language, instead of just throwing brickbats. I mean, the meaning of "I-IV-V" or "turnaround" and how that translates into sound is covered in Music 101, and most rock musicians pick it up by ear in conversation with other band members - but if you don't know or understand that vocabulary, it might as well be Ancient Sumerian for all that it makes any sense to you. He's going by how "Fat Man" sounds, not how it's put together. And since it doesn't sound like blues, it isn't blues to him.

Just wait until I tell him that King Crimson's "Red" is also built off the blues form. That ought to be fun. Lotsa argumentativation!

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    He's halfway admitted that he doesn't understand music on a technical level. Otherwise, he would have tried to refute my contention in the same language, instead of just throwing brickbats. I mean, the meaning of "I-IV-V" or "turnaround" and how that translates into sound is covered in Music 101, and most rock musicians pick it up by ear in conversation with other band members - but if you don't know or understand that vocabulary, it might as well be Ancient Sumerian for all that it makes any sense to you. He's going by how "Fat Man" sounds, not how it's put together. And since it doesn't sound like blues, it isn't blues to him.

Just wait until I tell him that King Crimson's "Red" is also built off the blues form. That ought to be fun. Lotsa argumentativation!
    He doesn't know what he's talking about, nor does he add anything of worth to the conversation. I had to tell him that Ian was playing a balalaika and not a mandolin on the studio release of that song (check earlier posts for his sudden correction). Nor does he understand that the use of a foreign instrument, like the balalaika, in a blues-based song and adding elements of world music to change the sound are a couple of the basic tenets in the formation of "progressive rock", i.e., innovative methods of instrumentation and integration of other musical genres into the original blues-based rock idiom.

But this is Svetty's trollish modus operandi. Nogbad, who has also seen Svetty's troll behavior at the other prog forum (before he was finally and rightfully banned), remarked on his juvenile nature earlier in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    He always knows what he's talking about, anyone who disagrees is revisionist, clueless or a lackey of someone else who is wrong. No reasoned argument just put downs & emoji's. He's a patronizing troll.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    He uses that "are you ###'s lawyer?" all the time, whenever anyone agrees with the person he's arguing with. I can only assume he's had many legal issues in the past
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

1) The Rotters Club
    2) The Skull Mailbox
    3) Sing to God
    4) Joe's Garage
    5) Songs for Ships and Irons
    6) Western Culture
    7) A Little Man and a House...
    8) On Land and in the Sea

Top lid.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

He uses that "are you ###'s lawyer?" all the time, whenever anyone agrees with the person he's arguing with. I can only assume he's had many legal issues in the past
    Maybe it's a standard insult where he comes from. I could just imagine a whole cafe full of guys like him - all smoking horrible unfiltered cigarettes like chimneys, guzzling dreadful burnt boiling-hot black coffee, each furiously arguing a separate and distinct point, and whenever any two of them accidentally happen to agree, the immediate unanswerable, totally-clinching riposte is, "SO, TELL ME, SKDVKVSKY? ARE YOU DRGNKVRVCH'S LAWYER!?!?!?!!!!!" (puff-puff-puff-puff, slurrrrrpppp, puff-puff).

^
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^He's very fond of that exact emoticon too.

Maybe it's a standard insult where he comes from. I could just imagine a whole cafe full of guys like him - all smoking horrible unfiltered cigarettes like chimneys, guzzling dreadful burnt boiling-hot black coffee, each furiously arguing a separate and distinct point, and whenever any two of them accidentally happen to agree, the immediate unanswerable, totally-clinching riposte is, "SO, TELL ME, SKDVKVSKY? ARE YOU DRGNKVRVCH'S LAWYER!?!?!?!!!!!" (puff-puff-puff-puff, slurrrrrpppp, puff-puff).
    With or without toy poodles?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    With or without toy poodles?
    And does he drive to the cafe in a rusted Yugo with a magnetized, plastic Marshal Tito figurine on the dashboard?

And then post 3 youtube videos of the argument!

ROTFL
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Naked.

It's obvious you never played guitar, nor do you have any concept of how blues songs are composed. However, I've played blues for decades. You had two different posters explain it to you with specific compositional knowledge, breaking down all the blues elements in the song.

You have nothing worthwhile to add. Quit embarrassing yourself.

P.S. It's obvious that it's only a matter of time before you get banned from here as you did on ProgArchives. Better start making your sock puppets so you have someone that will agree with you.
    You can't get banned from progarchives.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    You can't get banned from progarchives.
    Oh, there's a long list of asinine posters who can no longer login over there. So perhaps not banned, but suspended, eliminated, culled from the herd, cropped, deleted, dropped, taken out back and shot, exsanguinated, on permanent vacation, exiled, etc.

Oh, there's a long list of asinine posters who can no longer login over there. So perhaps not banned, but suspended, eliminated, culled from the herd, cropped, deleted, dropped, taken out back and shot, exsanguinated, on permanent vacation, exiled, etc.
    'E's passed on! This Svet is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-SVET!!
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

^

Really? Well, I asked them to ban me but they wouldn't do it so I had to create a password and deliberately forget it so I could not log in again. There is one really big jerk on there who I can believe is still there and has not been banned. It's really unbelievable to me. The only thing I can think is that he is in cahoots with some of the administrators. It seems to me though that they only will be ban you if they can take satisfaction in banning you themselves. If you ask to be banned they won't do it because that's not satisfying for them because it was your idea. I guess it's kind of like asking someone with a gun to shoot you and he won't shoot you because there's no pleasure in that for him. Kind of sick and twisted the way they think over there if you ask me. That said, I do still occasionally look at the boards and the main page.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

'E's passed on! This Svet is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-SVET!!
    Is that by any chance from Monty Python?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Really? Well, I asked them to ban me but they wouldn't do it so I had to create a password and deliberately forget it so I could not log in again. There is one really big jerk on there who I can believe is still there and has not been banned. It's really unbelievable to me. The only thing I can think is that he is in cahoots with some of the administrators. It seems to me though that they only will be ban you if they can take satisfaction in banning you themselves. If you ask to be banned they won't do it because that's not satisfying for them because it was your idea. I guess it's kind of like asking someone with a gun to shoot you and he won't shoot you because there's no pleasure in that for him. Kind of sick and twisted the way they think over there if you ask me. That said, I do still occasionally look at the boards and the main page.
    Ummm...why would you ask an admin to ban you when you could simply leave and never come back? Isn't that a bit melodramatic? And who are you referring to that should be banned? It's been relatively quiet for some time. Even Moshkito rarely acts like a complete git these days.

Even Moshkito rarely acts like a complete git these days.
    And this is the acid test.

I'm assuming that Digital Man actually wanted his profile deleted rather than be banned but yeah why not just not log in? There must be loads of places on the internet where I'm supposedly a user but haven't been on for years.
    Ian