Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAJ Review: King Crimson, Live in Toronto, Queen Elizabeth Theatre November 20, 2015

Have the booklet right in front of me:

Recorded at The Spectrum, Montreal on Wednesday July 11th, 1984

PS - IMO "Waiting Man" from that live album might be the best thing on there. Just amazing.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 03-24-2016 at 01:07 PM.

Well, then, that settles that

I still think there's something sonically about Absent Lovers that smacks of more work on the production end, whereas Live in Toronto feels much rawer. But they're both terrific documents of two very different incarnations of Crimson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Where does this info come from?
    Ah, I must not have RCed completely. I definitely remembered the mention of four shows... it looks like two on each date.

kc.jpg

Oh boy, some weirdo just got a package in the mail.

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Disc one devoured. Me likey. No, I actually ATE the disc.

Dude....three drummers on your digestive system? Your poor colon is going to be a "slip n' slide" by the time they're done with ya...
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    kc.jpg

Mastelatio

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Dude....three drummers on your digestive system? Your poor colon is going to be a "slip n' slide" by the time they're done with ya...
    Larks' Tongues in ASSpic.

Sorry about that.

In all seriousness, I really enjoyed disc one. Gonna hit disc two today. It has balls.

Quote Originally Posted by per anporth View Post
    So, I was trying to make a connection between the two albums on this basis, whilst acknowledging that, for any number of reasons, Live in Toronto may not quite match up to the incredible standard of Absent Lovers.

(ps - I've sent you a pm about something else - hope this is ok)
    Makes perfect sense...and, of course, it's ok!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    kc.jpg

Mastelatio
    Mastelingus?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Picked this up on Friday at Newbury Comics for $20. Spent much of the weekend digesting both discs. The recording sounds great and what a great show!

Anybody get a shipping notice from DGM yet?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Yep. Was told mine shipped on Friday.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Got my copy from DGM today; listening right now. Got a kick out of Collins playing "Swingin' Shepherd Blues"--don't remember that from the show I saw.

Hmmm. I'll give 'em a couple more days, but it took them about a month after the release date to ship my Thrak box.

They did give me a free t-shirt, though.

Shipped on Friday, arrived today. Nice.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Got mine today, but I guess it was free because I only purchased the flac download... Nice to have the CD, its a nice package.
    Still alive and well...

Got a shipping notice from DGM Friday and got it in the mail today. A pretty quick turnaround for DGM.

Listened to disc 1 last night and already find it much more powerful and energetic (Larks>Pictures works quite well) than the Orpheum release (which I found meh at best, maybe even flat). The new tracks give me hope for the future and the only disappointment was, much to my surprise, Epitaph. Maybe I was getting tired or something (it was almost 1 am at this point), but Epitaph never really seemed to take off. Anyway, looking forward to spinning disc 2 tonight.

Man, the folks at DGM really don't like me. Still no shipping notice ...

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Kudos to you John: as someone who isn't as excited about the current incarnation of King Crimson, your review really makes me want to give them another shot
    Yes, as usual, John, most excellent writing

Damn it. Now i have to go get that. I still haven't really heard any of the new Crimson beyond the initial things. Great to see these things released
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Also cool was that when I went to Newbury Comics last Friday to pick this up, the manager (Therrien--we're on a first name basis) also pulled out for me a brand spankin' new copy of KC CC#4 ('82), which I have yet to hear but looking forward to. Fortunate to have at least two great brick & mortar record stores here in town, and they know me too well.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Also cool was that when I went to Newbury Comics last Friday to pick this up, the manager (Therrien--we're on a first name basis) also pulled out for me a brand spankin' new copy of KC CC#4 ('82), which I have yet to hear but looking forward to. Fortunate to have at least two great brick & mortar record stores here in town, and they know me too well.
    I live near the largest Newbury Comics, but it's not uncommon for me to go in there and not only be unable to find something specific, but also be unable to find anything I want at all--and it's really the only record store around anymore except for a few little storefront places that sell old vinyl to hipsters.

Thanks for the review, John.
    ...The cds sound marvelous. Great setlist. I was never big on 'Easy Money,' but this rendering absolutely floats my boat.

I have listened to it quite a few times now.... Pretty dang good. Mel adds so much to it all. A+ although the Orpheums Starless seems like a much better version to me. There is a little addition at the end of sailors tail... Sounds like the ship sinks and then a thudding sound when it hits bottom. Pretty cool.
    Still alive and well...