Thread: Legendary Pink Dots

Legendary Pink Dots

I just had my first listening experience with this band, well I've been spinning The Maria Dimension for over a week and wondered where I should go next with this band. They have a huge discography so I need some help from any fans out there.

Thanks!

John
    Last edited by mellotron storm; 03-19-2016 at 06:36 PM.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

The Maria Dimension i think you mean

The Golden Age and Any Day Now are my two favourites of theirs. Both are pretty consistent. Asylum is a good one from the early years if you don't mind the madder stuff.

They have a HUGE discog! And then I'm talking just the Pink Dots roster, not the extensive Ka-Spel solo stuff and other spinoffs which comes in addition.

There are a few compilations which work nicely as introduction; Canta Mientas Puedras collects some of their best late 80s/early-to-mid 90s industrial/neo-psych/pop material and used to be quite easy to come by. But what you'd want to do was to confer with one of the discussion foras solely dedicated to the band; they don a large and rather esoteric cult following. Presumably Spyros (Spacefreak) will chime in here as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    The Maria Dimension i think you mean

The Golden Age and Any Day Now are my two favourites of theirs. Both are pretty consistent. Asylum is a good one from the early years if you don't mind the madder stuff.
    Yes, The Maria Dimension thanks I corrected that.
    I do like madder stuff so Asylum sounds good. Hadn't checked out the other two you mentioned so thanks.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    They have a HUGE discog! And then I'm talking just the Pink Dots roster, not the extensive Ka-Spel solo stuff and other spinoffs which comes in addition.

There are a few compilations which work nicely as introduction; Canta Mientas Puedras collects some of their best late 80s/early-to-mid 90s industrial/neo-psych/pop material and used to be quite easy to come by. But what you'd want to do was to confer with one of the discussion foras solely dedicated to the band; they don a large and rather esoteric cult following. Presumably Spyros (Spacefreak) will chime in here as well.
    Thanks Scrots! I'm not big on compilations but in this case it might be worth doing that. Some others that appealed to me other than Asylum were A Perfect Mystery, All The Kings Horses and Chemical Playschool 10.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Seconds Late For The Brighton Line is a good recent album with a different sound if you were interested in the later configuration of the band. Don't think i have anything they released since then (the late 80's-early 90's stuff is where they did their best work imo).

Can't say I heard everything they did (that's a lifetime task!), but I have a good dozen of their albums and have seen them live a few times as well as talked to Edward Ka-Spel who is simply one of the smartest, cleverest and wittiest musicians I've ever had a pleasure to interview. While I have a soft spot for their early lo-fi / industrial / cassette underground stuff, there were two "trilogies" of albums that stood out for me in the long run - the mid-1980s trilogy, comprising The Curse, The Tower and Asylum, and the early 1990s trilogy that consists of Crushed Velvet Apocalypse, Maria Dimension and Shadow Weaver (there's also a second part of Shadow Weaver, which is said to be great as well, but I haven't heard it).

This is one of their best songs IMO, and yes, I know it's not the most original choice 'cause it's a fan favorite, but what can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Can't say I heard everything they did (that's a lifetime task!), but I have a good dozen of their albums and have seen them live a few times as well as talked to Edward Ka-Spel who is simply one of the smartest, cleverest and wittiest musicians I've ever had a pleasure to interview. While I have a soft spot for their early lo-fi / industrial / cassette underground stuff, there were two "trilogies" of albums that stood out for me in the long run - the mid-1980s trilogy, comprising The Curse, The Tower and Asylum, and the early 1990s trilogy that consists of Crushed Velvet Apocalypse, Maria Dimension and Shadow Weaver (there's also a second part of Shadow Weaver, which is said to be great as well, but I haven't heard it).

This is one of their best songs IMO, and yes, I know it's not the most original choice 'cause it's a fan favorite, but what can I do?

Thanks for that, and I didn't know about the trilogies.
    Lyrically and vocally this band really sounds like it was influenced by Syd Barrett in a major way, only to my ears this is far better both lyrically and instrumentally. I just can't get over how The Maria Dimension sounds. The atmosphere, electronics, effects, keyboards, it's all just a chest full of treasures. I'm so glad I found out about these guys and I believe you when you talk about how smart Edward Ka-Spel is.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm
    Thanks for that, and I didn't know about the trilogies.
    You're welcome, but just to be clear, I called them trilogies simply because they were released one after the other and kinda look like trilogies to me as a fan. They were probably not intended to be trilogies by Edward or Silverman at all.
    Lyrically and vocally this band really sounds like it was influenced by Syd Barrett in a major way
    Absolutely - and by progressive rock too. Edward is a big prog fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Absolutely - and by progressive rock too. Edward is a big prog fan!
    Yes, I remember Reading his "credentials" in one of the 90s underground psych fanzines - most likely The Crohinga Well. I believe at least two part-time LPD members also guested on a couple of releases by Finnegans Wake.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I'll add Shadow weaver II and The Lovers, the later is one of their most proggy albums. if you want to hear early stuff search for the Legendary Pink Box.
    Ka Spel is a great fan of Barrett and also of Peter Hammill, there is an interview somewhere on-line. http://www.andrewliles.com/10-questions/edward-ka-spel/

Quote Originally Posted by zutul View Post
    I'll add Shadow weaver II and The Lovers, the later is one of their most proggy albums. if you want to hear early stuff search for the Legendary Pink Box.
    Ka Spel is a great fan of Barrett and also of Peter Hammill, there is an interview somewhere on-line. http://www.andrewliles.com/10-questions/edward-ka-spel/
    Thanks for that, I hadn't checked out The Lovers yet, and I appreciate the interview link.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Amanda Palmer is a huge fan.

hallway of the gods might be a good one to try next

Quote Originally Posted by Cats On Glue View Post
    hallway of the gods might be a good one to try next
    Thanks, I'll check it out.
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    So you can see why I asked for some recommendations
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I saw them once, quite a few years ago. Mostly, I remember that they had no drummer - just machines. And that Edward - who is apparently a vegetarian - delivered himself of an extended rant concerning Mexican fast food. To the effect that even if you order your burrito with only beans and cheese, you'll find that it was cooked in (as he put it), "LLLLAAAARRRRRDDDD!!!" He must have said "LLLLAAAARRRRRDDDD!!!" half-a-dozen times, and pronounced it that way every time.