Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Emerson's solo albums

Keith Emerson's solo albums

What do you guys think of Emerson's solo output? What is your favorite Keith Emerson album? For me, his most meaningful album is Emerson Playes Emerson, simply, 'the piano album'. It is uneven, like most of his solo stuff, not everything is great there, but some of the pieces are simply fantastic. On second place, I'd put the 'Nighthawks' album. I skip only the 'Nighthawking, silly disco song( with great piano improvisation though). All the rest is pretty solid, rock band meets orchestra stuff, and the main theme reminded me vaguely of Isaak Hayes Shaft in Africa soundtrack mixed with Strauss 'Zarathustra'. Some very interesting, and unexpected instrumentals - like 'Mean Stalkin', The Bust, The Chopper, Tramway, I'm Comin' In...
    On third place I'd put ' Inferno'. Fascinating piano theme, and outstanding Mater Tenebraum..
    I also adore his 'Church' track, for the film La Chiesa, cool hammond organ imrov...

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    What do you guys think of Emerson's solo output? What is your favorite Keith Emerson album? For me, his most meaningful album is Emerson Playes Emerson, simply, 'the piano album'. It is uneven, like most of his solo stuff, not everything is great there, but some of the pieces are simply fantastic. On second place, I'd put the 'Nighthawks' album. I skip only the 'Nighthawking, silly disco song( with great piano improvisation though). All the rest is pretty solid, rock band meets orchestra stuff, and the main theme reminded me vaguely of Isaak Hayes Shaft in Africa soundtrack mixed with Strauss 'Zarathustra'. Some very interesting, and unexpected instrumentals - like 'Mean Stalkin', The Bust, The Chopper, Tramway, I'm Comin' In...
    On third place I'd put ' Inferno'. Fascinating piano theme, and outstanding Mater Tenebraum..
    I also adore his 'Church' track, for the film La Chiesa, cool hammond organ imrov...
    Good thread. Thanks.

My vote: Inferno.

I got it when it first came out and I find it to be a wonderful album in many ways. It is so different to his ELP. And I like the quirkiness and creepiness of the atmosphere of the soundtrack.

I've always meant to check out his solo work but never did. Can someone kindly give me a breakdown of what his solo albums sound like? (I know vaguely what style some are in and the OP does describe a few already).
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

The Keith Emerson Band: Three Fates Project
    Keith Emerson Band Featuring Marc Bonilla
    At The Movies
    Emerson Plays Emerson
    Changing States
    La Chiesa (even though along w/ participation on Goblin's pieces)
    Inferno

^ALL those are great. The only album I couldn't get into was Honky.

Also, At The Movies is a 3-disc set, in case you didn't know.

we are also sold out of "At the Movies" at the moment-- however it may be repressed at some point, as I had lots of requests for it after it sold out. I really liked this one.

Only ones I have are the Hammer It Out anthology and the Keith Emerson Band album.

Hammer It Out is very comprehensive, although I'm baffled as to why the daft cover of 'The Locomotion' represents ELPowell! I very much like the 'Hello Sailor' and 'Best Revenge' suites, the rough recording of the rocked-up Concerto and 'The Church'.

My only reservation with the Keith Emerson Band album relates to Marc Bonilla's guitar/vocal style...it's a bit 'rawk n roll' at times ('Gametime'), although he's an accomplished musician and does actually sound a little like Greg Lake at times. I remember when it came out, some on the old site raving about it, and also the footage on the DVD, there was a thread on that the year before where people were bowled over by how strong it was.

The instrumentals on it are first-rate; proper early 70s-style ELP.

There's some surprising good stuff on his Christmas album.

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I've always meant to check out his solo work but never did. Can someone kindly give me a breakdown of what his solo albums sound like? (I know vaguely what style some are in and the OP does describe a few already).
    "Inferno" is the soundtrack to a horror movie. So, as is typical for a soundtrack, there are lots of short tracks. One major theme (and a few minor ones) pop up again and again and are developed/orchestrated in different ways. And it is spooky!

I'd like see Jeffrey Biegel, when he does the PCN1, also do the title track from "Inferno", along with other similar Emo pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Marc Bonilla's guitar/vocal style...it's a bit 'rawk n roll' at times ('Gametime'), although he's an accomplished musician and does actually sound a little like Greg Lake at times.
    He sounds more like John Wetton, to me.

Jon Neudorf
    Just came in: The Keith Emerson Trio. '60s material with Godfrey Sheppard (bass) and David Keene (drums). Still have to give it a listen.

Regards,
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by A. Scherze View Post
    I'd like see Jeffrey Biegel, when he does the PCN1, also do the title track from "Inferno", along with other similar Emo pieces.
    Sure there is a big possibilty that this mind blowing dream comes true!

Good call!
    Hamburg, I Believe In Father Christmas, Troika (from Prokofiev's Lieu) and the Nutrocker 3:50 min. live performance, all these stand high there for me.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MusicWarrior View Post
    Good call!
    Hamburg, I Believe In Father Christmas, Troika (from Prokofiev's Lieu) and the Nutrocker 3:50 min. live performance, all these stand high there for me.
    I'll add his "Snowman's Land". Excellent xmassy instrumental that he wrote.

The At The Movies triple CD of collected soundtracks is very enjoyable. Inferno and Nighthawks are probably the best, but Best Revenge and Murderock both contain some good stuff: The Dreamer. The Runner, The Spillone, Whadya Mean, Playing for Keeps, Not So Innocent, Coffee Time and the Murderock main theme. I know some think Murderock is weak and don't like the "Disco Prog" approach, but to my ears it's a cheesy but fun listen.

not an album, but his interpretation of the classic ELP track 'The Barbarian' from the album The Keith Emerson Band [featuring Marc Bonilla] is an absolute smoker....just a cranker [for me, at least]

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    (...) For me, his most meaningful album is Keith Emerson Playes Emerson, simply, 'the piano album'. (...)
    +1

I really liked "Inferno". I bought this on vinyl back in the early 80s. A lot of his movie soundtrack work is interesting. "At the movies" is a good compilation with Inferno, Nighthawks, and Best Revenge, among others, which I'd highly recommend. I wasn't that taken with "The Three Fates Project". The "Endless Enigma" orchestral version is interesting, but I much prefer the Japanese adaption of Tarkus, either the Yoshimatsu album version or the wonderful Yutako Sado live video version (which I think is also based on Yoshimatsu's adaptation), in contrast to the Mikkelsen version, which I just didn't really care for.

"Honky" is also quite fun to listen to. It's my favorite non-soundtrack solo album of his.

Only ones I have are the Hammer It Out anthology and the Keith Emerson Band album.

Hammer It Out is very comprehensive, although I'm baffled as to why the daft cover of 'The Locomotion' represents ELPowell! I very much like the 'Hello Sailor' and 'Best Revenge' suites, the rough recording of the rocked-up Concerto and 'The Church'.

My only reservation with the Keith Emerson Band album relates to Marc Bonilla's guitar/vocal style...it's a bit 'rawk n roll' at times ('Gametime'), although he's an accomplished musician and does actually sound a little like Greg Lake at times. I remember when it came out, some on the old site raving about it, and also the footage on the DVD, there was a thread on that the year before where people were bowled over by how strong it was.

The instrumentals on it are first-rate; proper early 70s-style ELP.
    Are you referring to the Live In Moscow DVD? I just watched this the other day for the first time in years. I was totally blown away by how strong Emerson was in this concert (I think it was done in 2008) and how much fun he seemed to be having playing with Bonilla and the band. It's a stark contrast to the ELP High Voltage Festival performance just 2 years later where he seemed to be having a lot less fun performing.

Oops, just thinking about it. I forgot that there was a bonus DVD on the Keith Emerson Band CD, which is probably what you were talking about.

I'll have to check out some of his other stuff… but I really do like "Chickcarnie" from "Honky." A fun blues instrumental with his usual impeccable playing.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

My only reservation with the Keith Emerson Band album relates to Marc Bonilla's guitar/vocal style...it's a bit 'rawk n roll' at times ('Gametime')
    Yeah, I initially had that same reservation, actually. It was the same feeling I had when I first heard John Payne singing in Asia: "Oh, crap, a frustrated hair metal wanker." But I grew to appreciate it so much more because Emerson's instrumental work is just that brilliant.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Inferno is a must if you want to hear Emerson tackling Goblin-style horror soundtrack-type stuff.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The only one I have ever owned is "Honky" and to be honest I did not care for it much.