Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett Tour

Out standing in my field trespass's Avatar
    Went to the show last night at the Orpheum in downtown LA, (on Broadway no less), and it was really good. Regardless of how you feel about Wolflight, the material from that album is only about 20% of the show. New songs such as "Out of the Body", Wolflight and "Loving Sea" (acoustic) sounded really good.

The fact that you have Roine Stolt on bass (some guitar), Gary O’Toole on, drums, and Ron Townsend on saxes and flutes really made for an excellent band. Even Nad Sylvan, who I'm not a huge fan of, sounded really good on the Genesis songs and better, to my ears, than on past shows with and w/o Hackett.

I really wanted to hear some classic Hackett solo material because it's been a while and this really filled that desire.

Extremely enthusiastic and receptive crowd, Hackett got a dozen standing ovations and nobody was screaming out for Genesis material during the solo set. The Genesis material was extremely well played, even better than the Genesis revisited tour. Hackett was in good spirits, joking with the crowd, and a bit chatty to my surprise (for him).

I saw the Musical Box about a month ago do the "Selling England by the Pound" black tour recreation, and although amusing, they just didn't sound that good. Last's nights performance really confirmed that as Hackett played some songs of SEbtP and they were light years better. May seem like a no brainer but the difference between Hackett playing guitar and someone pretending to be Hackett playing the guitar was striking.

Hackett seems to be the only one from Genesis to have carried on the "spirit of Genesis" banner and is as sharp today as he was thirty years ago. Has to be one of the top 5 guitar players out there today. Just an absolutely stunning performer. Roine Stolt, and Gary O’Toole weren't half bad either Just kidding, they were great.

Go see this show if you can. I wouldn't leave anything to chance these days.
    Last edited by trespass; 04-02-2016 at 03:37 PM.

It kills me I have to miss the Durham show. I bought an orchestra ticket in row C a couple of months ago, but unfortunately now have to travel for work that day.

If anyone on here wants it, shoot me a message. Just trying to get what I paid for it...

Here's my review from my blog. It's intended to be inclusive for people who may not even know who he is.

Steve Hackett is, if not my absolute favorite guitarist (he may be) certainly in the top very-few. He has the rare combination of chops, musicality, and passion, combined with a real joy in playing that comes through every time I see him perform. (This was my fourth time, counting once with Genesis back in The Day.)

Hackett plays everything from classical (he has several albums of classical compositions and one of Satie "sketches" arranged to perform with his brother John on the flute) to jazz to blues to progressive rock, and is really, really good at all of them. He performed at least a little of all of these last night.

Hackett and his band performed two sets and an encore. The first set comprised his solo material; the second was old Genesis tunes; and the encore, one of each. From the opening number to the end, Hackett kept his audience engaged, happy, and energized; he received five standing ovations that I remember offhand. And he and his band were clearly having a good time doing it.

The first set began with a blistering rendition of the title track from Hackett's Spectral Mornings album, followed by a few tracks from his newest album, Wolflight. A personal favorite of mine, "Every Day," followed, a lighthearted tune with a lovely melody and one of the best outros in rock music. He picked up the acoustic twelve-string for "Loving Sea," which he dedicated to his wife Jo. He often let his sax player, Rob Townshend (who also plays flute, pennywhistle, extra keyboards, and hand percussion) take leads or double with him.

The highlight of the first set, though, was the last four songs, all from his first solo album, The Voyage of the Acolyte, recorded while he was still with Genesis and featuring the rhythm section from that band. The closing number, "Shadow of the Hierophant," is a simple, repeating melody that, on the album, gradually builds (kind of like a bolero but different ). On stage, it gradually built for much, much longer and reached an almost unbearable intensity, driven by Gary O'Toole, in what may be the single most amazing drumming performance I've ever seen: it literally left me sweating.

For the second set, Hackett began with the crowd-pleasing "Get 'em Out by Friday," one of Peter Gabriel's more melodramatic turns handled more than adequately by Hackett's touring vocalist, Nad Sylvan. The story of an evil real estate agent who puts "a four-foot restriction on humanoid height," "Friday" is actually pretty silly when regarded on that level, but has some wonderful tunes.

Sylvan is an excellent singer but has a decidedly weird stage presence, with flouncy body movements and a facial expression that seems like he doesn't quite know why he's up there or why all those people are staring at him.

Next, he pulled out some deep Genesis catalog: "Can-Utility and the Coastliners," a mutated story of King Canute; and "After the Ordeal," a lovely instrumental which begins with some lovely 12-string and, well, builds from there. Neither, I believe, was ever played live by Genesis.

Sylvan's bandmate in "Agents of Mercy," Roine Stolt, is Hackett's bass player and occasional second guitarist; on "Ordeal," he got to display some serious guitar chops, trading riffage with Hackett in a way that showed Stolt's talent while keeping Hackett the center of attention.

Next came "The Cinema Show," which Hackett described as "a love story mixed with something in seven-eight." That it is, and it was a spectacular outing for Roger King, Hackett's long-time keyboardist, and also for Townshend. This segued, as it does on the album, into the peculiar "Aisle of Plenty," which Genesis had always omitted in live versions of "Cinema Show;" and from there directly into "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway," which featured a bit of a singalong. The show proper closed with what is probably early Genesis' signature tune, "The Musical Box," another over-the-top melodrama with amazing tunes.

After a short break, the band came on and played "Clocks - The Angel of Mons," followed by "Firth of Fifth." At this point I was frankly happy that the show ended, because I was exhausted both physically and emotionally - not to mention a certain ringing in my ears! (But no damage seems to have been done, the ringing was gone by the time we got to lodgings - for which I am very grateful to my friend, Dan Cooper, who also provided the tickets to this show.)

All in all, I have to rank this among the very few top concerts I have ever attended, a life-affirming musical extravaganza that I don't for a minute regret the twisted travelling I've had to do to attend it. I got up at Oh-Dark-Thirty Friday morning, flew from Oakland to Burbank via Portland, and - because I couldn't get a flight home today - am travelling back via Phoenix tomorrow. But it was completely and utterly worth it, and even more so for the chance I had to spend time with a few friends while I'm down here.

If Steve Hackett comes within a reasonable distance of your town, you will not regret seeing him perform.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Thanks for the great review--I saw him last year in Genesis Revisited tour--and like you---he is one of my all time fav guitarists. Love him.

Good review - I'll have to jump over to setlist.com - Hackett omitted both an intermission and "After the Ordeal" here in Scottsdale Saturday night. The show started promptly at 8, ended around 10:15 or thereabouts. Agree about Nad's stage presence, particularly during Firth of Fifth. That stop/freeze/deer-in-the-headlights-eyes-wide open bit got a little unintentionally silly after a while. Get 'Em Out and Can-Utility were interesting to experience, but not my first choice to hear *shrug*. Last time seeing Steve was NearFest '02 and I was very happy not to have to hear "Camino Royale" live Steve's stage presence has gotten a lot more loose and jovial in the ensuing years. All in all an enjoyable evening, my daughter particularly enjoyed his Wolflight material...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Next came "The Cinema Show," which Hackett described as "a love story mixed with something in seven-eight." That it is, and it was a spectacular outing for Roger King, Hackett's long-time keyboardist, and also for Townshend.
    I think he's avoided playing this one up until this tour, and it makes sense since this piece was traditionally performed by Banks/Collins[Bruford/Thompson]/Rutherford with the guitarist sitting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think he's avoided playing this one up until this tour, and it makes sense since this piece was traditionally performed by Banks/Collins[Bruford/Thompson]/Rutherford with the guitarist sitting out.
    Love the song---the Seconds Out version Steve adds some nice guitar but he's not the center of attention like so many other songs.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Love the song---the Seconds Out version Steve adds some nice guitar but he's not the center of attention like so many other songs.
    Yes, what I meant to write was that the big instrumental section in the middle was when Hackett or Stuermer would leave the stage.

I think 'Can Utility...' may have been played a couple of times by Genesis, but 'After The Ordeal' was not- for one thing, Banks loathes it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I think 'Can Utility...' may have been played a couple of times by Genesis, but 'After The Ordeal' was not- for one thing, Banks loathes it.
    "Can-Utility" was played more than a couple of times, but not a ton. Initially it was played under diferent titles such as "Rock Me Baby" and "Bye Bye Johnny" during the Italian tour in spring of '72 (with some improv sections), before returning to the set in its final album arrangement that summer. It was a powerful live song, but didn't last beyond 1972. I don't believe it was ever played again once they finally worked "Supper's Ready" into the set in November.

Those Italian tours of 1972 were something pretty amazing, really. They even got "Seven Stones" at a couple of shows. The big, dramatic mellotron songs always went down a storm in Italy.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I think he's avoided playing this one up ("Cinema Show") until this tour, and it makes sense since this piece was traditionally performed by Banks/Collins[Bruford/Thompson]/Rutherford with the guitarist sitting out.
    I was thinking when I was sitting at the SF show that it may well have been the first time I have ever seen "Cinema Show" live. I've seen Steve many times over the years, but for whatever reason (probably because it isn't a song he's featured on) it never showed up in previous set lists. It's obviously a classic so to finally get it with the full Genesis Revisited treatment was pretty f-ing awesome.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Fantastic show last night, and what a cracking band! Steve's playing is as good as it ever has been. Nice set list incorporation a variety of his solo work and old Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    They even got "Seven Stones" at a couple of shows.
    This would be a good one for Hackett to drag out of mothballs- it would go down great IMHO. But last time I posted that Rufus said it was for 'fanboys only' or something.

I guess this is the first time since the mid-late 70s that 'The Cinema Show' has been played in full by any member of Genesis. Going by the Come Rain Or Come Shine documentary, the full version was briefly considered for the 2007 tour...very briefly, by the look of things! I've always been dubious about them playing those medleys, the early 90s one in particular I really didn't care for.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    This would be a good one for Hackett to drag out of mothballs- it would go down great IMHO. But last time I posted that Rufus said it was for 'fanboys only' or something.

I guess this is the first time since the mid-late 70s that 'The Cinema Show' has been played in full by any member of Genesis. Going by the Come Rain Or Come Shine documentary, the full version was briefly considered for the 2007 tour...very briefly, by the look of things! I've always been dubious about them playing those medleys, the early 90s one in particular I really didn't care for.
    Steve has said in recent years that he is fond of "Seven Stones", so I'm not sure why he's never revisited it. And yeah, it was interesting to see Phil attempt the opening vocals of "Cinema Show" in the Rain Or Shine doc, but it's too high for him. He's always said he likes that track a lot, including the first half. A shame they couldn't play it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Here's my review from my blog. It's intended to be inclusive for people who may not even know who he is.
    Yeah well well done, but a bit long for those who don't have a clue who is that eclectic grumpy old rock star. There is a stubborn question emerged from what you pointed out below:

"Hackett plays everything from classical (he has several albums of classical compositions and one of Satie "sketches" arranged to perform with his brother John on the flute) to jazz to blues to progressive rock, and is really, really good at all of them. He performed at least a little of all of these last night."

Just out of curiosity, what did Hackett indeed played last night from his 'Sketches of Satie' last night? And hell, can't believe you're serious about it - did he did play something also from 'Midsummer Night's Dream' AND Metamorpheus? I just want to know that, because his other great stuff (ranging from jazz to blues to progressive rock) we are all goddam familiar with it, or not?

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post
    Yeah well well done, but a bit long for those who don't have a clue who is that eclectic grumpy old rock star. There is a stubborn question emerged from what you pointed out below:

"Hackett plays everything from classical (he has several albums of classical compositions and one of Satie "sketches" arranged to perform with his brother John on the flute) to jazz to blues to progressive rock, and is really, really good at all of them. He performed at least a little of all of these last night."

Just out of curiosity, what did Hackett indeed played last night from his 'Sketches of Satie' last night? And hell, can't believe you're serious about it - did he did play something also from 'Midsummer Night's Dream' AND Metamorpheus? I just want to know that, because his other great stuff (ranging from jazz to blues to progressive rock) we are all goddam familiar with it, or not?
    Maybe the wording could have been clearer but I took it to mean he played a bit of each style rather than a bit of each album.

^Pay no attention, I enjoyed your review, some real nit-pickers on here at the moment.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Next up: Fly By Night vs Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyMan View Post

My bad; I only meant to say that he played a little classical-style.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We leave for Montreal tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a cold, rainy few days up North, but worth it to see Mssrs. Hackett, Stolt et als. again. Any members we should look for at Place Des Arts on Saturday night?

I attended the Atlanta show last night and was blown away!!! I saw Steve & band last year in the same place, Atlanta Symphony Hall......at the time I didn't think that show could be topped. Boy was I wrong!!! This was the best show I've seen in many years! Instead of repeating the already great reviews above, I just want to add how much my wife loved the show. Yesterday morning I played Wolflight for her in 5.1. What an amazing album! She loves it...and they played her favorite song, "Love Song to a Vampire"! I was very happy to see her having such a great time! For me, the entire show was just magic, hearing songs live that haven't been played live in many,many years! And the sound was just PERFECT....and to know this tour is being released on blu-ray in June......well that is going to be a long wait!! Thanks Steve for bringing this to Atlanta once again......it was an unforgettable experience!
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I attended the Atlanta show last night and was blown away!!! I saw Steve & band last year in the same place, Atlanta Symphony Hall......at the time I didn't think that show could be topped. Boy was I wrong!!! This was the best show I've seen in many years! Instead of repeating the already great reviews above, I just want to add how much my wife loved the show. Yesterday morning I played Wolflight for her in 5.1. What an amazing album! She loves it...and they played her favorite song, "Love Song to a Vampire"! I was very happy to see her having such a great time! For me, the entire show was just magic, hearing songs live that haven't been played live in many,many years! And the sound was just PERFECT....and to know this tour is being released on blu-ray in June......well that is going to be a long wait!! Thanks Steve for bringing this to Atlanta once again......it was an unforgettable experience!
    I was also at last nights show.....pretty-much sums it up for me. My Wife LOVED it also. We were 10th row, dead-center. The sound was perfect. Hackett plays with the same level of fluidity as he ever did. Excellent selections from Voyage & Spectral Mornings...just a great evening.

I too was at the show and found this tour to be the perfect compliment to the last one! I'd have to say the last one was probably bit better (with that setlist and all), but this was right up there. Can Utility and Cinema Show were worth the price of admission alone. Steve was as great as ever! Roine was a nice addition too though I don't think he played the bass with the same sense of drive (or tone) that Nick did previously. Of course he is a guitarist that agreed to play bass, not a bassist like Nick so it is what it is... I enjoyed his guitar work on After The Ordeal, btw. That was a nice moment.
    Clipboard01.jpg
    Last edited by Sean; 04-18-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'd have to say the last one was probably bit better (with that setlist and all), but this was right up there. Can Utility and Cinema Show were worth the price of admission alone. Steve was as great as ever! Roine was a nice addition too though I don't think he played the bass with the same sense of drive (or tone) that Nick did previously. Of course he is a guitarist that agreed to play bass, not a bassist like Nick so it is what it is... I enjoyed his guitar work on After The Ordeal, btw. That was a nice moment.
    Pretty much my take. I also remember thinking during Cinema Show, "Man - Roger King is getting a serious workout! He's probably thinking at times, "Tony Banks -- what a f-ing attention whore!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

....forgot to mention that I spotted a total of 3 Magma shirts (not counting the one I was wearing)...clearly attendees from the recent Magma visit here 2 weeks ago.

Sean: I didn't see you. where were you sitting??