Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Keith Emerson

This is really hitting me hard. I'm not a huge ELP fan, but I know how great and influential Keith was. If a guy with his talent and success who brought joy to millions can give into depression and commit suicide, anyone can.

According to the latest from Greg Lake, Keith had been suffering from depression for decades. Imagine the despair he must have carried inside to drive him to his final desperate act.

Even our musical Gods are just people in the end, like us. We want them to be larger than life indestructible heroes, but they're not.

This scares me because I also battle severe depression. I know how hard it is to carry on living when your mind is tormented by demons of despair. And I'm just an ordinary nobody, not a musical legend.

Damn it, Keith. I wish you wouldn't have done it. But I hope you are at peace.

'He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, 'I wish he would stop playing.'
    If I had a dime for every time I read "I can feel his pain when he plays" or "It's painful to watch him play"...

The last thing Keith wanted people to feel when he played is pain.

This might seem a little corny, but I've composed a bit of an homage to Keith: "Fanfare for an Uncommon Man."

https://soundcloud.com/michael-p-daw...n-uncommon-man

First George Martin, now Keith-2 of my musical heroes gone. This one truly sucks big time. RIP, Keith, you were one-of-a-kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Keith had Diverticulosis and potentially the doctors prescribed depression causing pain medication. It's now known that cannabis can more effectively treat conditions like that and not have the brain damaging effects of addictive pain medicines like opiates. In fact cannabis will induce neurogenesis in the part of the brain damaged by opiates. Cannabinoids also reduce the desire to continue to use tobacco, alcohol and other addictive drugs. The biggest side effect will be the impact on Big Pharma, Big Doctor and Big Alcohol.
    I mentioned earlier that maybe he was taking meds that might have side effects like thoughts of suicide. I agree that cannabis is the best medecine.

Peace Brother

Not sure if this has been posted yet or mentioned but some have been anticipating it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-life-20160313

For those who are too scared to click on the link.

Greg Lake has penned a tribute to his Emerson, Lake and Palmer bandmate Keith Emerson, who died Friday at the age of 71. "To all ELP friends and fans all over the world, I would like to express my deep sadness upon hearing this tragic news," Lake wrote on his official site.

"As you know Keith and I spent many of the best years of our lives together and to witness his life coming to an end in the way that it has is painful, both to myself and to all who knew him," Lake wrote. Emerson died of a single gunshot wound to the head, with Santa Monica police ruling the keyboardist's death as a suicide.

"As sad and tragic as Keith’s death is, I would not want this to be the lasting memory people take away with them," Lake wrote. "What I will always remember about Keith Emerson was his remarkable talent as a musician and composer and his gift and passion to entertain. Music was his life and despite some of the difficulties he encountered I am sure that the music he created will live on forever."

Following Emerson's death, drummer Carl Palmer wrote, "I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did together."

The next person I anticipate on saying something about Keith is Rick Wakeman. I know Rick and Keith were friends. I don't believe they ever worked together though.

From Rick, "Steve Brant kindly tweeted this photo of myself and Keith and it is devastating what has happened and I heard the news shortly after it had happened and that was just before going on stage with my son Adam. Keith and I always got on great and had tried on numerous occasions to produce an album together, but it never happened because of third parties interfering, which upset us both. We did jam together on a couple of occasions and knew we could have produced something quite special, but sadly that was never to be. My heartfelt love goes out to Mari and all the extended family. I will miss you. - Rick Wakeman"

https://www.facebook.com/RickWakeman...type=3&theater

Also-

It seems like so many people I love are leaving us.
    Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, Sir George.
    The shock of Hearing of Keith Emerson's passing completely shocked me. I am so very sad.
    It seems like yesterday that Keith, myself, Shelley and Mari went to a show, and dinner and had a real laugh.
    He was a beautiful person.
    Music was not just what he did, ...it was who he was.
    This was my feeling about this consummate talent.
    I cannot imagine the torture he went through, having been the incredible virtuoso that he was.
    Music was Keith.
    We will all miss him.
    Rest in peace dear friend.

-Trevor Rabin

Yeah, I don't think it really added to the thread in a positive way.

Sean, thank you very much for posting that(about Rick and Trevor).

Also, I really hope Carl and Greg get together for a show to pay tribute to Keith. It would be really cool if it was some sort of benefit where proceeds go to depression and suicide awareness or something.

"Yeah, I don't think it really added to the thread in a positive way".

That was not intended!
    Last edited by rockcup; 03-13-2016 at 07:49 PM.

I know.

Thanks mate.

This is a wonderful tribute to Keith:

http://www.thewrap.com/keith-emerson...in-guest-blog/

Here's another article(this time with a picture of his girlfriend)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-his-fans.html

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    This is a wonderful tribute to Keith:

http://www.thewrap.com/keith-emerson...in-guest-blog/
    This is beautiful beyond words

'My favorite Keith Emerson story happened during our fight to save the Motion Picture Home’s long term care facility. Keith loved the elderly. I was in touch with him and remember him saying, “How’s your mom?” To which I launched into my pitch about our fight to save motion picture and television industry long term care.

“You know, Richard, the Japanese have a custom where the elderly are taken up the mountain by the children as a last rite of respect and honor,” Keith spoke slowly, deliberately as he told me this. “It seems that what you and your friends are doing is exactly that. You are carrying them up the mountain. “
    The next day, I got an e-mail from Keith with an attachment of a piece of music. The email read “I’m thinking of you and the old folks. Here’s something you can play for them.” I clicked on the sound file, and even now I am choking back the tears. Keith had sent one of the most beautiful piano pieces that I had ever heard. We did use it on the Saving The Lives Of Our Own website. I remember it was used to celebrate our own Thanksgiving for the elderly, and it was signed “love from Keith and Mari.”

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    “You know, Richard, the Japanese have a custom where the elderly are taken up the mountain by the children as a last rite of respect and honor,” Keith spoke slowly, deliberately as he told me this. “It seems that what you and your friends are doing is exactly that. You are carrying them up the mountain. "
    Um, no. That isn't exactly how ubasute worked. Apparently, according to wiki, it also wasn't common but more a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Um, no. That isn't exactly how ubasute worked. Apparently, according to wiki, it also wasn't common but more a legend.
    I'm not sure of your point. Wiki isn't the most reliable source but regardless, it doesn't make Keith's sentiment any less thoughtful.

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    The chord progression of Stones Of Years alone is sufficient to gain him entry to the pantheon of the gods.
    Absolutely.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    I'm not sure of your point. Wiki isn't the most reliable source but regardless, it doesn't make Keith's sentiment any less thoughtful.
    My point is that ubasute is where younger people of a Japanese village would take the weakest elderly up a mountain to die during a famine where they would likely have been the first to die anyway. I knew the practice ended a long time ago (I think over 200 hundred years ago) but didn't realize until I just looked it up on wiki that it was probably rare (makes sense) and more legend.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    My point is that ubasute is where younger people of a Japanese village would take the weakest elderly up a mountain to die during a famine where they would likely have been the first to die anyway. I knew the practice ended a long time ago (I think over 200 hundred years ago) but didn't realize until I just looked it up on wiki that it was probably rare (makes sense) and more legend.
    Please don't get pedantic over what was meant to be a metaphor, particularly one made in utter thoughtfulness by someone who has passed away.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Please don't get pedantic over what was meant to be a metaphor, particularly one made in utter thoughtfulness by someone who has passed away.
    It is not pedantic.