Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts On Rainbow:The Joe Lynn Turner Years

Banned

Thoughts On Rainbow:The Joe Lynn Turner Years

New Jersey native Joe Lynn Turner was Rainbow's third vocalist before they broke up to allow Richie and Roger to return to Deep Purple. JLT joined Rainbow in '81, replacing Graham Bonnet. This version of Rainbow has been slagged by fans for years. Even former Rainbow singer, Ronnie James Dio, called this version of Rainbow Foreigner, Jr. I brought a cheap copy of the remastered version of Straight Between The Eyes at Best Buy for $4.99. I don't think this version of Rainbow should be compared to Foreigner. They didn't rock as hard as the original Rainbow, but they still packed quite a punch. I don't recall anyone from Foreigner later joining Happy The Man. Speaking of David Rosenthal, his playing on Straight Between The Eyes reminds me of John Lord. Particularly, David's use of the Hammond Organ. It's good that in '82, David was using vintage keyboards like the Hammond, Moog, Oberheim, and clavinet. So, what do people on PE version 3.o think of Rainbow version 3.0?
    Last edited by JIF; 08-30-2013 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I don't recall anyone from Foreigner later joining Happy The Man.
    That means nothing. Foreigner's original line-up had an ex-King Crimson member.

I like pretty much everything Rainbow did.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I have a soft spot for this line up as it was the first concert I ever went to in Leeds Queens Hall. Clearly not up to the Dio years standard but not bad
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Stone Cold was one of the only tracks I really love from that era but the old cassette of Straight Between the Eyes got some working out back in the day.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I remember getting freaked out by the zombie chick in the “Stone Cold” video when I was younger:

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Entre 2 Zoo”-Volapük/Polyglöt

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    That means nothing. Foreigner's original line-up had an ex-King Crimson member.

I like pretty much everything Rainbow did.
    Ian McDonald was underused in Foreigner.

I love every incarnation of Rainbow-although I wasn't crazy about the Doogie White era. I still think "Bent Out of Shape" is one of the greatest melodic rock albums of the 1980s.

Only ever liked that one tune Street Of Dreams... It was all over once Dio left... only one good track with Bonnet as well (eyes Of The World if memory serves)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I never had a problem with Joe Lynn Turner. I liked all the incarnations of Rainbow, with the exception of Stranger In Us All, which I just never heard. They may never have topped "Stargazer," but they never sucked, IMO. Of the Turner Rainbow albums, I particularly like Bent Out Of Shape.

This version was OK, but not great. I ran into Joe a lot back then, and jammed with him at a bunch of parties. He was / is a nice guy.

I always sing along to "Can't Let You Go" when I play it in my car :-)

I actually love this version of the band as much as the other 2 primary versions. Had the pleasure of seeing them on the last 2 tours before Blackmore reformed Purple. Here is a great picture from circa Sept or Nov 83 from the Philly Spectrum. A friend of mine was a freelance photographer at the time and used to sell photos to Hit Parader and Circus. This one never made it as Ritchie is partially obstructed. Has been hanging in my music room for years.

IMG_3202.jpg

I liked his stuff with Fandango. Southern rockish/ AOR.

Not as good as the Dio years, but in my opinion unfairly maligned. Started out pretty strong with Difficult to Cure, and then got progressively weaker. Straight Between The Eyes is a fine record (but a step down from DtC), and Bent Out of Shape was OK.

I've never heard the Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner singing, but I've been told it's shit.

When it comes to Rainbow, give me Dio or give me death. No love for JLT here.

Straight Between the Eyes and Difficult to Cure are fine records. Blackmore is great on both, specially on Difficult... Bent Out of Shape is okay.

Always enjoyed JLT's Rainbow....'Jealous Lover' and 'Spotlight Kid' would definitely be in my Top 10 Rainbow tracks
    Permission To Rock - Volume One
    https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/247182
    featuring Barclay James Harvest, Fish, Marillion, Beardfish, Yes + more

Leaving aside the Dio era, which IMO is light years in front in terms of both material and vocals, I make the Graham Bonnet and JLT eras a tie. I much prefer JLT as a vocalist over the ghastly Bonnet, but by the same token, I find the material superior for Bonnnet's sole album with the band.

After JLT joined they never did another Eyes Of The World, or even Lost In Hollywood. And while I believe that All Night Long desecrated the spirit of Stargazer with great big hobnail boots on, it assumes the mantle of rock classic compared to the hideous I Surrender - the latter surely the nadir of Blackmore's career. Yes, I include Blackmore's Night in that statement...

Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Always enjoyed JLT's Rainbow....'Jealous Lover' and 'Spotlight Kid' would definitely be in my Top 10 Rainbow tracks

Both are great songs indeed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    When it comes to Rainbow, give me Dio or give me death. No love for JLT here.
    Isn't there a better way to phrase that? Dio is dead, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I've never heard the Deep Purple album with Joe Lynn Turner singing, but I've been told it's shit.
    if you are prepared to put away any preconceptions, you may be surprised that it's not a bad one at all. “slaves & masters” does have a few stinkers on it, but it's a nice and relaxed groove for DP – indeed they tried something new. “truth hurts” with its lovely 60s/spector vibe is one of those great lost DP tracks. and JLT, who i am normally not really a fan of, absolutely shines on this album. give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Isn't there a better way to phrase that? Dio is dead, you know.
    LOL, here we go, JIF 3.0...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    if you are prepared to put away any preconceptions, you may be surprised that it's not a bad one at all. “slaves & masters” does have a few stinkers on it, but it's a nice and relaxed groove for DP – indeed they tried something new. “truth hurts” with its lovely 60s/spector vibe is one of those great lost DP tracks. and JLT, who i am normally not really a fan of, absolutely shines on this album. give it a go.
    Agree that Slaves and Masters is better than its reputation would suggest. Unfortunately, most of the live shows I've seen and heard from this tour were the pits. JLT singing Ian Gillan's songs just sounds wrong.

My one and only time seeing Rainbow was on the "Straight Between The Eyes" tour with Turner at the helm. One of the loudest shows I have ever witnessed. My girfriend at the time walked out before the show was over as she could not take the volume any more. I stayed for the whole show while she went out and sat in the car.........we broke up soon after that night.

Steve Sly