Thread: The Enid Recommendation Thread

The Enid Recommendation Thread

Ok, where do I start. Are most of their records all instrumental. Thoughts on Godfrey's album form '74??? Thanks!!!!!

I've just been through a discovery phase and "Six Pieces" is my favorite. "In the Region of Summer Stars" is OK, but relies too much on the oft-cribbed Dies Irae. "Invicta" had it's moments but sounded like a Broadway play, to me.

They are a unique band, though, and deserve more attention.

I found the following thread to be very helpful!

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...l-observations

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Ok, where do I start. Are most of their records all instrumental. Thoughts on Godfrey's album form '74??? Thanks!!!!!
    The classic Albums from the 70s where all instumental, later and at the moment there where some to a lot of vocals.

Start from the classic ones like "In the Region of Summer Stars" and "Aerie Faerie Nonsense". (the 80s Albums are all good too)

From the newer one I would recommend "Invicta".

The first two albums (In The Region... and Aerie Faerie...) are fully instrumental and their best but by all means try to get the original mix, NOT the re-issued, remixed, re-played versions. The Live at Hammersmith (Vol.1 & 2) are excellent too and contains a.o a wonderful version of Fand. Six Pieces is well rated here but not really representative of The Enid because each piece was composed by one different member of the band (thus the tittle) and this result in some lack of cohesion. If you like Six Pieces you should also consider The Spell which is a neo-classical progressive gem. As far as Godfrey's 1974 1st solo album (Hyperion's Fall) is concerned, it's some kind of proto-Enid with a few great moments but spoiled by dreadful vocals and less than perfect production/mix. For collectors/completists only. There are many many other excellent pieces to be picked in the huge Enid discography but (personally) I would have prefered they remained fully instrumental and allways found the vocals detrimental to their wonderful music. (Including Payne which is otherwise a great singer).
    Last edited by Mr.Krautman; 02-21-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Get the original ITROTSS, Six Pieces and Touch Me. I only have the remake of Aerie Faerie Nonsense, but it’s good too. Touch Me is probably my fave, but I’ve rather worn it out by over-playing, I fear.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Get the original ITROTSS, Six Pieces and Touch Me. I only have the remake of Aerie Faerie Nonsense, but it’s good too. Touch Me is probably my fave, but I’ve rather worn it out by over-playing, I fear.
    Buy them from the band but not Inner Sanctum the label who'm the band is having a legal war with.

Banned
    I'd like to recommend Invicta the album.