Thread: Umberto Eco and Harper Lee have died....

Umberto Eco and Harper Lee have died....

Two literary giants as different as night and day. Loved Eco. The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum are both favorites.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite movie.

Eco I found unreadable.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    RIP

Great pen-twirlers both.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    To Kill a Mockingbird is my favourite movie.

Eco I found unreadable.
    They released a book last year of the first draft. I heard in that one the lawyer was a racists.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Two literary giants as different as night and day. Loved Eco. The Name of the Rose and Foucault's Pendulum are both favorites.
    The Name of the Rose was a great book, and a really good movie. Focault's Pendulum took me forever to read. There was just too many observations and references that required checking into to understand the point that it felt more like reading Ulysses than an enjoyable novel. Not an easy read, and not a book I would recommend to anyone with less than a masters in English.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The Name of the Rose was a great book, and a really good movie. Focault's Pendulum took me forever to read. There was just too many observations and references that required checking into to understand the point that it felt more like reading Ulysses than an enjoyable novel. Not an easy read, and not a book I would recommend to anyone with less than a masters in English.
    I didn't have much problems with reading Focault's Pendulum. I read the Dutch translation, because it's my mothertongue. I never understood how people considered it unreadable.

Umberto Eco and Harper Lee have died....

To Kill A Mockingbird is a beautiful novel and I've seen it treated with reverence on the screen and stage. I bought her "prequel" last year but haven't opened it, I was put off by the reviews and did not want to cloud my view of Mockingbird.

The Name Of The Rose is a wonderful book, and I don't think the movie came close to its power. Foucault's Pendulum is also a favourite which I would like to find the time to re-read.

RIP to each, a sad day for literature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read all of Eco's novels in German translation (and Harper Lee's book too, but in the English original) except for "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana", which I ordered yesterday after hearing of his death. my personal favorite is "Baudolino". You have to be familiar with the medieval book "Physiologus" though to fully appreciate it; there are a lot of references to it in the last chapters of the book.