Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TULL - Aqualung 40th anniversary 'book' edition out April 22

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Well, if it came with a second disc of live performances of this material from the time (if it even exists), I'd be in.
    The Benefit tour was quite nicely documented. Apart from the Carnegie Hall and Isle of Wight shows, which has been already released, the Tanglewood show (with The Who) was recorded and videotaped. I don't know if Tull's set at the Randall's Island show was recorded and filmed, but it's possible. After Benefit tour it seems that there were no professional multitrack live recordings until the 1975 Paris show.

I don't think taht Benefit will be in the Book formart anytime soon.

Next one in the series will be "Stand Up" (end of 2016).

It's not clear if Steven is going to do Album like "Songs from the Wood" and following, 'cause he does hardly knows them at all.
    (and he likes to do Albums he knows insideout)

Can somebody explain the difference between this new SW version compared to the version that came out as few years back? I'm pretty confused on the masterings, remixes, etc etc

Cheers in advance.

Something I never noticed before in all these years of hearing the song: at the end of "Up the Pool," while Ian is singing "Oh Blackpool," John Evan is playing "I Do Like to Be Beside the Seaside."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Can somebody explain the difference between this new SW version compared to the version that came out as few years back? I'm pretty confused on the masterings, remixes, etc etc

Cheers in advance.
    SW has done the only remixes, which are superior to remasters, and the mastering on a high def remixes is sublime. He also includes high def remasters without remix. This thread is about the SW book which is the least expensive way to go, the first package included too much non-value added stuff IMO.

Disc 1
    Aqualung
    Cross eyed mary
    Cheap day return
    Mother goose
    Wondring aloud
    Up to me
    My god quad version
    Hymn 43 quad version

Slipstream
    Locomotive breath quad version

Disc 2
    Wind up early version
    Lick your fingers clean
    Just trying to be
    Wondring again
    Life is a long song
    Up the pool
    From later
    Slipstream 2
    Dr Bogenbroom
    Nursie

That's 2 discs that are better than the original album
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 09-05-2016 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    SW has done the only remixes, which are superior to remasters, and the mastering on a high def remixes is sublime. He also includes high def remasters without remix. This thread is about the SW book which is the least expensive way to go, the first package included too much non-value added stuff IMO.
    Thanks for the help - cheers. Sounds like the newer one is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post

Cheers in advance.
    The new one is mastered better. That's the most important difference.

As I recall Wilson went on the Steve Hoffman forum expressing some displeasure at how the 2011 had been mastered.

Yeah, I have the ultra mega big box and the mastering there is awful, of the ear-bleed kind.

Aqualung doesn't sound good. Never has, and probably never will.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Aqualung doesn't sound good. Never has, and probably never will.
    Yes, when listening to the 5.1 version, I found a remarkable sonic difference between the song Aqualung and the rest of the recording. The rest of the recording definitely improved.

apropos of absolutely nothing, I had lunch today with a local music business lawyer who used to perform in his native New York and he told me that his career highlight was opening up for Jethro Tull on the Aqualung tour in November 1971 in Long Island!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    apropos of absolutely nothing, I had lunch today with a local music business lawyer who used to perform in his native New York and he told me that his career highlight was opening up for Jethro Tull on the Aqualung tour in November 1971 in Long Island!
    Very cool. Any interesting or funny bits?

I met Ian in 2003(ish) in Tarrytown, NY and I came away appreciating the man even more than I did before. A very down-to-Earth guy and not afraid to mix with the riff-raff lowlife scum such as my buddy and I. Even took the time to type a letter months later and sign it himself and sent it to me - completely out of the blue - and pretty unnecessary, yet a really kind gesture. For me that act really demonstrated an air of caring and kindness - something this world is sadly lacking. Maybe other folks have had different experiences with him - but that is mine. I'll try to locate it and post it.

^ ^ ^

I've heard nothing but nice things about Ian Anderson.
    I'm sure if he is overwhelmed by fans, it can be tiring for anyone, but in general, I have always heard he was a good guy from people who have spent some time with him.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm sure if he is overwhelmed by fans, it can be tiring for anyone, but in general, I have always heard he was a good guy from people who have spent some time with him.
    I was lucky enough to meet him on his way in to the venue where he was performing that night, and despite already being late for soundcheck, he signed an autograph, posed for a photo and a brief chat. He even had his own Sharpie for just such an occasion! (Although it's likely that he does that for 'germ' reasons. I would.) He was quite pleasant to both my wife and I.

What I found amusing was that Jonathan Noyce, the bass player at the time, bolted from the same taxi that Ian was in, and ran into the back door of the venue like he was Paul McCartney around a horde of screaming girls in 1964.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ ^ ^

Agreed - I've never heard of IA being rude or stand-offish to a fan.

In fact, I'd say that IA "gets" the show-biz aspect of being the leader of a successful popular music band more than most, and a component of that is being good to your fans.

Yet, what does this say about his old band leader? Taken from the Hoffman forum -

An hour before Martin Barre is to call for his interview, I find this press release in my email:

JETHRO TULL’S STAND UP:
    THE ELEVATED EDITION

LOS ANGELES – Jethro Tull’s second album, "Stand Up," marked an early turning point for the band with the addition of guitarist Martin Barre along with Ian Anderson’s introduction of folk-rock influences to the group’s blues-based sound. Released in the summer of 1969, "Stand Up" rose quickly to the top of the U.K. Albums Chart, and eventually earned gold certification in the U.S.

Wow, fresh news on a four-decades-old band! When Barre calls, I ask him about this upcoming two CD, one DVD remixed release, with bonus tracks, 96/24 flat transfer (I don’t know what that means, either) of the original mono and stereo versions of “Living In The Past” and a video of the band opening for Jimi Hendrix in 1969 in Sweden that was, “Recorded only a few weeks after Barre joined the band.” And the 112-page book detailing the album’s history, track-by-track annotations by Anderson, rare photographs and the original album’s pop-up book artwork.

Long pause. At the other end of the conversation, Barre seems to sigh, perhaps roll his eyes, fix them on a distant point many, many miles away. He’s unaware of this oncoming Tull treasure.

“The record label only deals with Ian,” he says. “They only have the last 30 years. You’d think they’d at least send me a copy. They never do."

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Yet, what does this say about his old band leader? Taken from the Hoffman forum -
    Well, I never said IA was nice to his band, nice to the press, or even a nice person in general. I've seen plenty of evidence suggesting that he isn't.

But, I've never heard of him being rude or standoffish to a fan. As I said in my post, IA has understood the entertainment business better than most of his peers and it's never good business to bite the hand that feeds you. However, due to the size of his ego, I don't think that IA has ever thought that his bandmates over the years were "feeding" him, and hence various instances of treatment towards them that can appear unfair and unappreciative.