Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten or little-known gems by popular bands

Ini City Dreams - Robin Trower

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    The Good Rats - Tasty (1973)
    Thanks for reviving this great track from a great album... although I don't think it quite fits the thread criteria of popular bands. Popular in the NY metro area (and Detroit, hence the "Takin' it to Detroit" album), but unknown elsewhere.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Queen - Queen II

Sure, it gets a lot of love on this forum but I think the average classic rock radio listener who knows their "hits" has probably never heard this album.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Sure, it gets a lot of love on this forum but I think the average classic rock radio listener who knows their "hits" has probably never heard this album.
    Precisely what I was getting at with the OP.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thanks for reviving this great track from a great album... although I don't think it quite fits the thread criteria of popular bands. Popular in the NY metro area (and Detroit, hence the "Takin' it to Detroit" album), but unknown elsewhere.

I know, but I saw the word gem and had to immediately share this great forgotten band.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Queen - Queen II

Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Supertramp - Supertramp (1970)

Ironically, this album would probably have been better known with 'genre collectors' if credited to some obscure post-psych/vintage progressive one-off venture.
    I'm intrigued, especially given what they became. How would you describe this, Richard? Was it, for lack of a better term, more substantive than their late 70s material?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'm intrigued, especially given what they became. How would you describe this, Richard? Was it, for lack of a better term, more substantive than their late 70s material?
    It is simply jammy, freaky 'early' UK progressive with a singer-songwriter's edge to much of it. Somewhere between the second Traffic album, East of Eden, Capability Brown, Audience, Jody Grind, Titus Groan and the likes. A bittu hard rock, some late psych tendencies, pretty innocent yet cool. The guitarist here, btw, is the same Richard Palmer James who would go on to write lyrics with John Wetton in KCrimson.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    There seem to be two main influences at work here: Procol Harum and King Crimson. There’s also a laid-back folky feel to a lot of the tracks that got lost somewhere along the line. “Try Again” is the place where the Crimso influence is strongest, very jazzy and with a lot of experimentation. They remind me of bands like Cressida or Fantasy on this album.

Definitely skip the follow-up album, Indelibly Stamped. I think it’s their second worst album, after the dreadful Free as a Bird.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    skip the follow-up album, Indelibly Stamped. I think it’s their second worst album
    Word. I remember back when I was a really big fan of that debut album, getting Indelibly Stamped and being completely fascinated at the mere possibility of someone delivering an "empty" record; there's just *nothing there*! Patchy or tedious doesn't even begin to describe the mediocricy of that LP.

The thing about the debut is that it has a certain charm or naivité in its execution of ideas that perhaps went a bit above their own heads. They weren't exactly "virtuosos", so some of those arrangements sound strangely underrehearsed - although the opposite is probably the case. It's still a great yet uneven and flawed, juvenile progressive rock album.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I bought it because of the prophetic cover...

some people have no taste. 7/8 out of 10

yeah for Supertramp's debut, for sure - and I'd even add their Brother album to boot >> best examples I can think of, along with This Was from Tull

And yes, outside the 7-mins Ares track, Stamped really sucks the bag (as bad as Free As A Bird)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd second
    Deep Purple's third s/t album (I like Taliesin and Shades very much as well)
    Neil Young's On The Beach
    The two Chapter Three albums
    The two Cone albums from Kraftwerk
    Eloy's debut (never made better, IMHO)

To a lesser extent, yes at the Krokus debut album (from far their best, IMHO) and ditto with Anvil's debut album.

However, I totally disagree with Mother Focus (a real dreck, IMHO) or the early Lizzy albums (they're often forgotten about.... and rightly so - IMHO)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

PFM - Passpartu
    First time I heard it I was dissapointed, and found it too pop'ish, but it grew fast. And luckily Lancelotti sings in italian
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP3jb4LRIL0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNtUu67ePmg

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'd second
    Deep Purple's third s/t album (I like Taliesin and Shades very much as well)
    I like them, too. But, they do have their weaknesses, unlike the third, which is solid from beginning to end. It's certainly, their proggiest release.

Another comp I would add to the list is "Purple Passages," compiling the best from their first three. That is no longer in print, but can be compiled from the releases. But, man, that was a really great one!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Thin Lizzy - Championed by Kid Jensen, he even got to appear on the equally great Vagabonds. Then they went from O'rish to AOR'ish and younger late comers who probably cared more about Iommi than Hendrix lapped it up, Shades was a letdown though...

The Cars Panorama
    XTC Mummer
    Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind
    Judas Priest Killing Machine (Hell Bent For Leather in the US)
    Dead Kennedys Plastic Surgery Disasters
    Kansas Monolith
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I thought I was the only one who likes that.

I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one who likes Tyger by Tangerine Dream. In any case, I think it's amazing and easily their best post-seventies album.
    I dig B&B too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I'm still pretty sure I'm the only one who likes Tyger by Tangerine Dream. In any case, I think it's amazing and easily their best post-seventies album.
    I like it quite a bit, but disagree strongly with the 2nd sentence. Logos, White Eagle and Hyperborea would edge it out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Iron Maiden Piece Of Mind
    Good call! Until Bruce returned for his second tenure that was my favourite IM album. Dance of Death knocked it down to 2nd place though.

Queen - Queen II

+1. Still the best IMO of the early albums, I prefer it to Opera and Races.

The Floyd--Obscured by Clouds?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Black Sabbath - Mob Rules

ToTo--Hydra.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Queen, Jazz
    Rush, Hold Your Fire
    Jethro Tull, Roots To Branches
    Supertramp, Brother Where You Bound