Thread: Circus - Self Titled(Mel Collins)

Circus - Self Titled(Mel Collins)

How did I miss this one. I see Esoteric reisssued it in '09. Worth checking out??? Is there Mel's signature flute throughout???

I think it's worth checking out how Mel Collins' style began.
    The album contains a couple of covers (Norwegian Wood, Don't Make Promises, Monday, Monday and II BS. Collins wrote some beautiful ballads (Father Of My Daughter and Pleasures Of A Liftime, which reminds a bit of I Talk To The Wind.
    All in all a nice mix between jazz and psychedelic pop, somewhat comparable with Igginbottom.

Nice to know: Collins made his debut in The Stormsvile Shakers, the band from Philip Goodhand-Tait. That band changed its name into Circus and later Goodhand-Tait left the band.
    A couple of years later the same Goodhand-Tait formed a group with Andy Latimer, Doug Ferguson and Andy Ward. After that trio was fired they formed with Peter Bardens Camel in which as we all know Mel Collins would turn up someday. Full Circle.

It's OK. Nice. Pleasant. Of its time...

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    Very much so. Semi-jazzy post-psych hash-rock/pop (new genre right there, but for GOD's sake don't tell Peter G.!) with an almost relentlessly charming atmosphere of '1969'. I still prefer similar contributions by bands like Skin Alley, Sweet Smoke, Quintessence etc.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM