Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Into forgotten movies from the 70's?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Well, no; the Kroffts' first TV show was The Banana Splits (and they only designed characters for that), which premiered in 1968. Jim Henson's first Muppet tv show was thirteen years earlier.
    I didn't think my timelines through well. What was Henson's first show though?

Actually, just looked it up. But he may still have been inspired by the market penetration of their TV empire.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-24-2016 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Well, no; the Kroffts' first TV show was The Banana Splits (and they only designed characters for that), which premiered in 1968. Jim Henson's first Muppet tv show was thirteen years earlier.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Poup%C3%A9es_de_Paris

Interesting story. I have the soundtrack album to this, but minus the context (i.e.: topless puppets) it kind of loses something.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

In-between playing bikers and Conan's father, William Smith was in this '79 flick about gangsters who want to "take over Hawaii." Future Kobra Kai sensei Martin Kove, and one-time Vampirella cover model (and formerly Steve McQueen's squeeze) Barbara Leigh also appear.

The movie, Seven (trailer in previous post), as made by Andy Sedaris, who made a whole pile of cheesy "bullets, bombs, and babes" movies in the '80s all staring Penthouse and Playboy models like Julie Strain and Shae Marks. No great art, but good production, campy dialogue, and lots o' fun.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_Poup%C3%A9es_de_Paris

Interesting story. I have the soundtrack album to this, but minus the context (i.e.: topless puppets) it kind of loses something.
    LA-LA-LA, LA-LA-LA-LA, LA-LA-LA, LA-LA-LA-LA (I'm topless now if it helps any.)

This Saturday night, TCM is running these two fresh biscuits from '77!

The first one's listed as Dracula's Dog on TCM's site.

Watched House Calls last night. Fantastic movie with a witty script and an incredible cast (Walter Matthau, Glenda Jackson, Richard Benjamin, Art Carney and the often-underrated Candice Azzara). They sure don’t make ’em like this anymore! More’s the pity! Matthau and Jackson had great on-screen chemistry, they could have been another Tracy-Hepburn for the 70s if the top brass at Universal had any brains.

This 1973 movie stars Gene Hackman and Al Pacino as friends and drifters who keep landing in trouble as they try to make their way east to Pittsburgh to "open up a car wash." TCM showed this last week. I'd never seen it before. It rocks.

"The only difference between them and the Rockefellers is a few hundred million dollars, and about 1500 miles."

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    This 1973 movie stars Gene Hackman and Al Pacino as friends and drifters who keep landing in trouble as they try to make their way east to Pittsburgh to "open up a car wash." TCM showed this last week. I'd never seen it before. It rocks.

"The only difference between them and the Rockefellers is a few hundred million dollars, and about 1500 miles."

I've never seen it all but I've read that Richard Lynch had an interesting role here before he started playing all kinds of badies.
    I think Pacino and Hackman didn't get along too well on the set.
    And I think this was the film after which Hackman said that nobody wants to watch serious cinema anymore and so he started taking on more and more projects just for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by selmer View Post
    I've never seen it all but I've read that Richard Lynch had an interesting role here before he started playing all kinds of baddies.
    Affirmative. I shan't say anything, lest I spoil it. A great, severely underrated actor!

Jefferson James
    These probably aren't considered forgotten but they weren't exactly blockbusters; I'm not a big movie guy but these destroy me.

3 Women (Robert Altman) 1977 -- Amazing. Like being on acid.
    Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession (Nicolas Roeg) 1980 -- Art fucking Garfunkle driving a woman to suicide with his insecurity. Trippy movie.
    Badlands (Terrence Malick) 1973 -- Again with the Sissy Spacek.
    Duel (Steven Spielberg) 1971 -- Probably my favorite movie of all time.
    Sometimes a Great Notion (Paul Newman) 1970 -- "He had blond hair, blue eyes, and he was dead."

3 Women is a bizarre masterpiece. Funny, yet somnambulistic. It’s like being stuck in a weird dream. Altman’s Images with Susannah York and Rene Auberjonois, while lacking the comic angle, gives off a similar vibe, along with a weird mess of logic puzzles hidden in the narrative (look closely to the closing credits, paying special attention to the character names compared to the actors who played said characters).

Guess what was on TCM two nights ago? Goldie never looked hotter.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Guess what was on TCM two nights ago? Goldie never looked hotter.
    This, along with Seems Like Old Times, are classic!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    This, along with Seems Like Old Times, are classic!
    Hell, yeah! Goldie hadn't had a hit since Shampoo, and starting with Foul Play, she had a really good run.

How about Dudley Moore? "Do you have binoculars?" "You're into that, too?!"

I forgot about Foul Play until this post! Funny film, and I love the period SF footage!

I guess I’ve been on a bit of a Glenda Jackson kick of late, as I just got done watching Sunday, Bloody Sunday for the first time. Man, you couldn’t make a movie like this today! Not because of content, the sexuality was pioneering for its time I’m sure (I wonder how many squares were freaked out by that scene where Peter Finch kisses Murray Head full on the mouth). More because of the fact that it takes its own sweet time. Sure, there’s bits with Glenda and Peter shouting at Murray (and for good reason), but overall it’s a very mellow film.

It also makes me so, so glad I don’t have children! What little monsters the kids in this film are!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    These probably aren't considered forgotten but they weren't exactly blockbusters; I'm not a big movie guy but these destroy me.

3 Women (Robert Altman) 1977 -- Amazing. Like being on acid.
    Bad Timing: A Sensual Obsession (Nicolas Roeg) 1980 -- Art fucking Garfunkle driving a woman to suicide with his insecurity. Trippy movie.
    Badlands (Terrence Malick) 1973 -- Again with the Sissy Spacek.
    Duel (Steven Spielberg) 1971 -- Probably my favorite movie of all time.
    Sometimes a Great Notion (Paul Newman) 1970 -- "He had blond hair, blue eyes, and he was dead."
    I think Duel is Spielberg's best film. Definitely his most interesting picture. No Jaws or Indiana Jones beats it. Not even talking about his post 80's filmography.

Since I'm not on Facebook maybe someone can ID this 70's TV movie for me. I joined a forum years back and someone ID'd a movie with a similar plot and I managed to track it down and that wasn't it (can't remember the name of the movie now).

It involved a guy getting stuck in an office complex after it closed, maybe he fell asleep or something. I remember him running to an elevator while dobermans chased him (guard dogs released after hours). At the same time, there was a criminal in the complex who broke in or something so the two of them are in this building. Both of them would see the elevator going up and down and realized there was someone else in the building besides their self. A bit of tension with them hiding in and out of office rooms, going up and down elevators, etc.

There was a similar movie where a guy gets stuck in a department store overnight with guard dogs chasing him. That's the movie someone ID'd and I bought a DVD of it but it wasn't the movie I was looking for. Anyone?
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I think Duel is Spielberg's best film.
    Better than 1941?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Since I'm not on Facebook

On TCM last night!

Three trustees of the Van Traylen fund have died during the last months, their deaths resembling suicides. But after a mysterious bus accident involving the final three trustees and 30 orphan children, police colonel Bingham (Christopher Lee) starts investigating and notices discrepancies that make him question whether it was an accident. One of the orphans is treated by a psychiatrist, and when that doctor ends up murdered, it becomes obvious that something sinister is going on, and not just coincidental deaths. The dead psychiatrist's supervisor, Sir Ashley (Peter Cushing), agrees to help the police with the hopes of finding the truth behind the mysterious happenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Since I'm not on Facebook maybe someone can ID this 70's TV movie for me. I joined a forum years back and someone ID'd a movie with a similar plot and I managed to track it down and that wasn't it (can't remember the name of the movie now).

It involved a guy getting stuck in an office complex after it closed, maybe he fell asleep or something. I remember him running to an elevator while dobermans chased him (guard dogs released after hours). At the same time, there was a criminal in the complex who broke in or something so the two of them are in this building. Both of them would see the elevator going up and down and realized there was someone else in the building besides their self. A bit of tension with them hiding in and out of office rooms, going up and down elevators, etc.

There was a similar movie where a guy gets stuck in a department store overnight with guard dogs chasing him. That's the movie someone ID'd and I bought a DVD of it but it wasn't the movie I was looking for. Anyone?
    There was this one but it's from the 80's and the protagonists are two, not one. And the year is 1989, not 1987 as is noted here:

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Better than 1941?
    Believe it or not but I've committed a sin in this respect - I haven't seen it

There was this one but it's from the 80's and the protagonists are two, not one. And the year is 1989, not 1987 as is noted here:
    Hmm, seems to be a similar theme but the one I saw was an American made-for-TV movie, typical of the 70's genre, and I saw it mid- to late-70's, definitely not in the late 80's.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...