Thread: Caravan UK Tour January 2013

Caravan UK Tour January 2013

Who's seen them? What did you think?

Not yet; will be seeing tomorrow at the Robin.
    She walks like a bearded rainbow.

IGGY!!!!!!!!!!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I saw them and was thoroughly impressed. Good, energetic new drummer, Mark Walker. Nice keyboards from Jan. Geoff Richardson is a great talent, did most of the talking. Superb, embellished version of Golf Girl, including spoons and washboard. In The Land... featured a lot, as well as Girls Who.... Standing ovation at the end.

Shalln't bother. Unless they get a bass player. And if they let him sing, he'd better not sound like Joe Cocker.

They should get Richard Sinclair back - but of course that won't happen - so they should ask me.

The last time I saw them, Pye Hastings' voice was just awful. Any better this time around?

Saw them in Nov last year (at the Caravan Convention in Holland), and to be honest, it was rather disappointing... Mostly the set list... the only thing really positive was 9 ft...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Of course, they are far from the band they were and yes Pye's voice is not what it was and yes I enjoyed the band when Richard Sinclair was with them........

But did I enjoy them the other night - yes indeed
    Would I go and see them again - yes indeed

By the way, over the holidauys a friend lent me a reallyu good biography that Paolo Hewitt wrote about Steve Marriott. I hadn't realized that longtime Caravan member Jim Leverton was basically Marriott's right-hand man for most of the 80s and 90s. Interesting.

Not familiar with the book but I do remember seeing Jim Leverton in a three piece with Steve Marriott during the late 80's. Very small pub gig.

Then I saw him at a small theatre during the mid 90's with 'Noel Redding and friends'. That band also included John Coughlin on drums and Eric Bell on guitar.

I think Leverton w in a band with one the Jimi Hendrix experience. Fat Matress. Maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Fat Matress. Maybe?
    Yes, with Noel Redding. Great first album and played the IoW festival in 1969.

Made it to Salford on Monday night - looked sold out to me.
    Band were definitely on form musically and the sound was clear as a bell.
    Pye did struggle with the vocals a bit - mainly 'cos he's got the lurgi (Jan too).
    Set list was excellent - mainly "Plump Girls in the Grey and Pink" (9ft ) along with a few of the newer/recent! songs that have been played regularly over the last couple of years or so.

I love Caravan! I wish they would come back to the States. I know they've been here in recent years, but I've never had the opportunity to see them.
    Last edited by Hunnibee; 01-18-2013 at 01:46 AM.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    Not familiar with the book but I do remember seeing Jim Leverton in a three piece with Steve Marriott during the late 80's.
    - must have been a tight fit!

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Warrior View Post
    - must have been a tight fit!
    Ha - very good !!