Thread: Criminal World

Criminal World

While revisiting Bowie this past weekend, I had to give the original of Criminal World a spin. It's from the début Metro album in 1976, the only one the late Duncan Browne would appear on. The other Metro albums are maybe a little more new wavy, and Duncan Browne's work from the late 70s is also quite good, I find some parallel to Anthony Phillips' pop records. Great stuff, all around. (John Giblin and Simon Phillips were on most of these records)

Last edited by strawberrybrick; 01-18-2016 at 10:30 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Wow. Rush plays a bit from 1:28!

Love this album since it was released. Most of the players (including Giblin and Phillips) also played on the two solo-albums Duncan Browne released after this one.

This is a nice Duncan Browne-tribute site: http://www.insyncnet.com/duncan/

Another beautifule song from that first Metro-album:

This is a progressive stormer! Doesn't Steve Hackett have a song with the same name?

^^ Great song, but they should have used another cover to go with this youtube. This track is from "The Wild Places", the cover is from "Duncan Browne".

The title track of "Streets Of Fire" is also great. The strange thing though is that the long version is just on the 2-on-1 CD, featuring "The Wild Places" and "Streets Of Fire" minus the closing track of the latter.
    CD-versions of "Streets Of Fire" as a stand alone album mostly have the 3 minutes version.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    This is a progressive stormer! Doesn't Steve Hackett have a song with the same name?
    The Hackett-song is called "Camino Royale" from "Highly Strung".

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post

The title track of "Streets Of Fire" is also great. The strange thing though is that the long version is just on the 2-on-1 CD, featuring "The Wild Places" and "Streets Of Fire" minus the closing track of the latter.
    CD-versions of "Streets Of Fire" as a stand alone album mostly have the 3 minutes version.
    SoF has an almost Dire Straights feel to it, especially with Browne's lead guitar (which is almost absent from Wild Places).

It's really nice to see this thread. I've been a Duncan Browne fan since I discovered Wild Places back in the 80's. David Bowie's sad passing made me think of Duncan. I've been bingeing on Bowie as well spinning Duncan Browne and Metro.

For those who love the work of Nick Magnus it might be interesting to search for Duncan Browne's final album "Songs Of Love & War", which he produced partly. The album does not only give a fine view on Browne's work, but sees him playing with folks mentioned in this thread plus Colin Blunstone and Nic Potter.
    Try to get the Japanese version, which contains two bonustracks.

416VEHCFEAL.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    For those who love the work of Nick Magnus it might be interesting to search for Duncan Browne's final album "Songs Of Love & War", which he produced partly. The album does not only give a fine view on Browne's work, but sees him playing with folks mentioned in this thread plus Colin Blunstone and Nic Potter.
    Try to get the Japanese version, which contains two bonustracks.

416VEHCFEAL.jpg
    Yep, this is something I'd like to pickup.

Kinda surprised that the thread fizzles, I guess I should have put Duncan Browne in the subject! Whoops!

Anyway played the third Metro album Future Imperfect, and again, a bit new wavey, but a great album, there's some really nice instrumental ideas, but they don't seem to develop, didn't want to get too far away from "pop" music.

Did you know Duncan Browne played some Spanish guitar on two tracks on Nic Potter's The Blue Zone?

On that album a couple of other fine musicians can be heard, like Peter Hammill, Snowy White, Guy Evans, Stuart Gordon, Huw Lloyd-Langton and Lindsay Cooper.

When I first heard Jack Bruce's "Without A Word" from "How's Tricks" I thought it had a sound-progression that had something in common with the song "The Wild Places" from Duncan Browne. Maybe because of the fact that both Tony Hymas and Simon Phillips are featured on both tracks?

Glam meets Prog?!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Glam meets Prog?!

One of the many clips from the Dutch program Top Pop. Ad Visser also had a progressive rock-radio program called Super Clean Dream Machine. ahhh, those where the days....

This just uncovered! Hits A Go Go!

Nice to see the complete clip. I only saw the introduction recently.
    Too bad John Giblin and Simon Phillips didn't want to play-back their parts

Thanks for posting. This way we know that they switched lead-guitar during the song.

How strange Duncan Browne must have felt to act like this after his folky singer-songwriter years.

But it looks as if he's okay playing the part. For me from folky to the pose on the cover of Wild Places... Whoa!

Just released: Duncan Browne: "Planet Earth: The Transatlantic/Logo Years 1976-1979".

It contains all full-lenght tracks from "Metro", "The Wild Places" and "Streets Of Fire", plus for the first time the song "China Girl" (not to be confused with the Bowie song), "The Toys" (previously on the Japanese version of "Songs Of Love & War") and three single edits.