Thread: Living Colour live!

Living Colour live!

I know they're not officially PROG, but sure they have a lot of fans here. I saw them last night in a small intimate jazz club(no lie!)in downtown Minneapolis with about 200 extremely loyal fans. I was completely blown away. Of course it was loud-I was about 10 or 12 feet from bassist Doug Wimbish's amps, but an extremely clear mix considering how loud it was. These guys are monsters! Maybe the most talented foursome in rock I've seen. I already knew Vernon Reid was from another planet technically so I knew what to expect. But the other three exceeded any and all expectations. The aforementioned Mr.Wimbish is a wizard mixing funky slap bass and technical melodic expertise all night including a long spectacular solo in which He looped several parts. Lead singer Corey Glover showed more range than I thought was humanely possible, and even sang without the mic on most of "Letter to a Landlord" in which He got into a gospel infused stupor that was mesmerizing to watch. And Will Calhoun beat the hell out of the drumkit all night long, but again His technical proficiency is off the chain(he is a Berklee grad). The setlist was spectacular, the performances stellar, and the technical abilities and tightness of this band-unmatchable!

Setlist:

Preachin' Blues (Robert Johnson cover)
    Middle Man
    Desperate People
    Funny vibe
    Who shot Ya? (Notorious B.I.G. cover)
    Open Letter (to a Landlord)- *A highlight of the night-Corey in a zone!
    Ignorance is Bliss
    This is the Life- *Another highlight-just stunning!
    Bass solo
    Bless Those (Little Annie's prayer)
    Type
    Love Rears its Ugly Head -*a fav of mine
    Rebel Rebel (David bowie cover)- great version
    Drum solo
    Cult of Personality

Encore: Should I stay or should I go (The Clash cover)

If you have the chance to see these guys live-Don't blow it!
    Last edited by YESHEAD777; 01-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.

I would love it if they rolled through Phoenix. Saw 'em with King's X at Sunrise Theater in FT Lauderdale around '91, easily one of my Top 10 concerts.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw them back King Crimson on the Power to Believe Tour. Definitely impressive!

Seeing them with kings X would be a dream come true. And can't believe they opened for king Crimson-what a strange pairing!

Great band. Vernon is a monster. Saw them back in the early '90s promoting their "Stain" album at a tiny club called Wetlands here. One of the most incredible live performances I've ever been to. Also caught them opening for KC at the Beacon Theater; thought they blew Fripp & Co. out of the water that night. I believe it was one of Trey Gunn's last shows with the Mighty Beast. No energy or not nearly the energy coming from KC as there was from LC. Have seen them a few more times including last years "Vivid" show, but those two stand out as most memorable. Definitely see them if they come around your neck of the woods although last night was the last of a very short (5 date) tour.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Great energy and just plain mesmerizing performances. Corey doesn't quite move or whip his head like he used too, but even his menacing pacing and interplay with the other guys is quite entertaining to watch. and seeing them in an intimate venue like this even though its loud as s@#%! is unforgettable!

Just saw them back in the summer opening for Aerosmith. They were fantastic. Cory's voice has lost nothing, and the rest of the guys are as killer as they ever where. I wrote a review of the show on this forum if you look back through the archives.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Just saw them back in the summer opening for Aerosmith. They were fantastic. Cory's voice has lost nothing, and the rest of the guys are as killer as they ever where. I wrote a review of the show on this forum if you look back through the archives.
    Ok I will. Thanks. You're so right about Cory's voice!

great band
    their newer albums are really quite good... better than Stain IMO
    but you just cant beat those first 2 albums

I saw them open for the Bad Brains back in NYC before their fist album came out. What an amazing night that was!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Wow! That's a killer set.

I've seen them a few times, but not in the last 10 years or so. Don't have the most recent album either. (Have all the rest studio and live)

Love listening to these guys. Even love Vernon's solo stuff. Saw one of his solo gigs in the city about 15 years ago from two feet away. Just breathtaking.

Can't get enough of this band.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Wow! That's a killer set.

I've seen them a few times, but not in the last 10 years or so. Don't have the most recent album either. (Have all the rest studio and live)

Love listening to these guys. Even love Vernon's solo stuff. Saw one of his solo gigs in the city about 15 years ago from two feet away. Just breathtaking.

Can't get enough of this band.
    Yea me either. Im so glad I got to see them. was kinda on the fence, tix prices kinda steep, but oh so well worth it! Such an intimate venue with incredible sound. Yea I thought the setlist was killer too. It doesn't look so long, but taking into account lots of improvising and jamming, and extended bass and drum solos. Very surprising Vernon has no solo, but He is ripping it up all night. He was facing the other way, so I couldn't see a lot of his finger work, but I was most impressed with more of his subtle stuff on songs like the opener, Open Letter, and This is the Life. His shredding actually gets a little old to me at times. I like his slower bluesy and jazzy and reggae licks. the one that really impressed me was Doug. Perfect mix of funk and technical prowess.

This is a killer version, but the looks on the faces of some of the audience members when Corey walks around them is an added bonus

Saw them a few times back in the day. Opening for the Stones, University of Penn and another local Philly show I can't recall. Have wanted to see them again the past few years but they always seem to hit the Philly area on a date that does not work. At least 2 times the venue and weekday thing did not work and the other 2 times I had tickets to other shows. Been wanting to take my boy for sometime now. Also, hoping Vernon comes around with one of his other projects. I love his work with G Calvin Weston.

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    Yea me either. Im so glad I got to see them. was kinda on the fence, tix prices kinda steep, but oh so well worth it! Such an intimate venue with incredible sound. Yea I thought the setlist was killer too. It doesn't look so long, but taking into account lots of improvising and jamming, and extended bass and drum solos. Very surprising Vernon has no solo, but He is ripping it up all night. He was facing the other way, so I couldn't see a lot of his finger work, but I was most impressed with more of his subtle stuff on songs like the opener, Open Letter, and This is the Life. His shredding actually gets a little old to me at times. I like his slower bluesy and jazzy and reggae licks. the one that really impressed me was Doug. Perfect mix of funk and technical prowess.
    Doug is a monster on bass.

Never saw them live with Muzz, but I love the live stuff I've heard.

30-Mar-16 7:30 PM Howard Theatre Washington DC
    1-Apr-16 8:00 PM Tally Ho Theater Leesburg, VA
    2-Apr-16 8:00 PM Greene Street Live Greensboro, NC
    4-Apr-16 8:00 PM Bernie Worrell FUNKraiser @ Webster Hall New York, NY ***
    5-Apr-16 7:00 PM Revolution Live Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    6-Apr-16 8:00 PM The Orpheum Tampa, FL
    8-Apr-16 7:00 PM Harmonious Monks Jacksonville Beach, FL
    11-Apr-16 7:00 PM City Winery Nashville, TN
    12-Apr-16 7:00 PM Mercury Ballroom Louisville, KY
    13-Apr-16 7:00 PM Altar Bar Pittsburgh, PA
    15-Apr-16 7:30 PM The Loft (at the Chance) Poughkeepsie, NY
    16-Apr-16 8:00 PM Jewel Manchester, NH
    7-May-16 7:30 PM Chastain Park Amphitheatre (w/ Scorpions) Atlanta, GA
    12-Jun-16 12:00 AM Celebrate Fairfax Fairfax, VA
    16-Jul-16 5:00 PM Przystanek Woodstock Kostrzyn Nad Odra, Poland

*** "All The WOO In The World," An All-Star Tribute To Bernie Worrell Benefit FUNKraiser-

The Black Rock Coalition and Nona Hendryx are proud to present "All The WOO In The World," An All-Star Tribute To Bernie Worrell. This gala event, featuring some of the most prominent figures Bernie Worrell has collaborated with over a five decade career, will serve as a major fundraiser to assist Bernie and his family in his battle against Stage 4 cancer. Appearances include: Bootsy Collins, George Clinton, Living Colour, Jonathon Demme, Meryl Streep, Maceo Parker, Bernard Fowler, Bill Laswell, Jerry Harrison, Nona Hendryx, Sarah Dash, Paul Shaffer & The World's Most Dangerous Band and more! Also featuring the Black Rock Coalition Orchestra
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

the loss of Bernie Worrell will hit me hard

I'm glad he is being honored while still alive

a musical genius on the order of (while not as flamboyant) Jimi Hendrix
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    the loss of Bernie Worrell will hit me hard

I'm glad he is being honored while still alive

a musical genius on the order of (while not as flamboyant) Jimi Hendrix
    I'd not heard about his health issues. Damn.

If you'd like to donate, here's his info: http://sweetrelief.org/program/bernie-worrell-fund/ There's even an address if you want to send a check.

As for Living Colour, I saw them on their Vivid tour at Berkeley Square. What a kick-ass show that was!

I lost interest a little more with each consecutive release, and the live stuff I heard was just chops banging into each other. Loved Calhoun's drumming, but he just got too busy for my ears.

Opening for Jane's Addiction; 25th anny of "Ritual de lo Habitual" tour. First 2 dates are without LC.

July 15 – Brooklyn, N.Y., The Amphitheater At Coney Island Boardwalk
    July 16 – Asbury Park, N.J., Stone Pony Summer Stage
    July 19 – Boston, Mass., Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
    July 20 – Philadelphia, Pa., The Fillmore Philadelphia
    July 22 – Sterling Heights, Mich., Freedom Hill Amphitheatre
    July 23 – Cleveland, Ohio, Jacobs Pavilion At Nautica

**Living Colour appears July 19-23

Saw they back in the mid '80's in a small bar in Belmar NJ before they broke big....I remember them as being SUPER LOUD and fantastic....also saw them open for the Stones on the Steel Wheels??? tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    Opening for Jane's Addiction; 25th anny of "Ritual de lo Habitual" tour. First 2 dates are without LC.

July 15 – Brooklyn, N.Y., The Amphitheater At Coney Island Boardwalk
    July 16 – Asbury Park, N.J., Stone Pony Summer Stage
    July 19 – Boston, Mass., Blue Hills Bank Pavilion
    July 20 – Philadelphia, Pa., The Fillmore Philadelphia
    July 22 – Sterling Heights, Mich., Freedom Hill Amphitheatre
    July 23 – Cleveland, Ohio, Jacobs Pavilion At Nautica

**Living Colour appears July 19-23
    Opening for King Crimson may seem weird to some people (actually made perfect sense to me, a very complimentary pairing in my book) but Jane's Addiction??? That's sad. I hope Dave Navarro shits his britches every night having to go on after Vernon and company.

William is a monster drummer too

I'm also wondering how the hell that set of old people with the white suit and whatnot came and saw this show at all. lol They look a bit thrown off their game in the seats. 2:36 or so

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Opening for King Crimson may seem weird to some people (actually made perfect sense to me, a very complimentary pairing in my book) but Jane's Addiction??? That's sad. I hope Dave Navarro shits his britches every night having to go on after Vernon and company.
    Asbury Park would have been nice but it seems they aren't playing that date. Oh well.

FREE NYC SHOW!

****** Join LIVING COLOUR for a rare FREE SHOW at Blue Note Jazz Club on Monday night/Tuesday morning, May 31 at 2AM (doors open at 12am). Presented by Intel Corporation & Rivet VR, come be a part of music history for this special virtual reality live broadcast! Living Colour will also appear at City Winery New York on June 1 & 8. ******

RSVP link- https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-sh...14681_42808761

I know it's very late (very early?), but Ima gonna try and make it. FREE!!

Living Colour's coming to the Backlot Bash in Skokie Illinois on August 27th[it's free btw].