Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea of Tranquility's Best of 2015

Sea of Tranquility's Best of 2015

Hi All,

Our Staff's picks for Best Albums of 2015 are now live, including a summarized list of the Top 50...feel free to peruse and vote for your favorite from our Top 50:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sect...icle&artid=291

Without Grand Tour, this is a worthless top-list for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Without Grand Tour, this is a worthless top-list for 2015.
    Thanks for the kind words...

Interesting list. As a clarification, the Pat Travers new cd is titled 'Retro Rocket', not 'Rocket Ride'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    Interesting list. As a clarification, the Pat Travers new cd is titled 'Retro Rocket', not 'Rocket Ride'.
    Thanks for catching that typo!!

You'll find that we have a staff with a wide assortment of interests; some prefer more of the metal side of things, some prog, some more classic/hard rock, and a few of us really like a little bit of everything. In response to 'Guess Who' above, we listen to and review hundreds of releases each year, but we obviously don't hear everything that's out there. If you look at all of our writers picks, you'll not see Grand Tour on any of them, and I'll guess that none of us actually heard the CD (myself definitely did not), which is why it's not on there. To call the list 'worthless' just because your favorite isn't on there is a pretty harsh statement in my opinion, but to each his own. You might not like a lot of what we picked as our favorites of 2015, but many people do, which is why we continue to do what we do your in and year out. Can't please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by sotdude View Post
    Thanks for the kind words...
    Just ignore the Guess Who poster - "without justification, his is a worthless comment for 2015!"

I popped over to SoT and had a look at your lists. Probably way too much detail for me to take on board, but clearly a lot of work on the part of the reviewers and the co-ordinators pulling it all together.

Don't let t**ts like the guy above put you off what you do - people like me rely on your graft to help decide which albums to buy from a limited budget.

Best wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Valen View Post
    Just ignore the Guess Who poster - "without justification, his is a worthless comment for 2015!"

I popped over to SoT and had a look at your lists. Probably way too much detail for me to take on board, but clearly a lot of work on the part of the reviewers and the co-ordinators pulling it all together.

Don't let t**ts like the guy above put you off what you do - people like me rely on your graft to help decide which albums to buy from a limited budget.

Best wishes.
    And for those kind words, I thank you! The reason we do what we do (for over 15 years now!) is to give the bands the exposure they so desperately need, and choices of new music to check out for our readers. If it helps out a little on both fronts, we've succeeded.

Jon Neudorf
    It's an asinine comment with nothing to back it up. As Pete said you can't hear everything. I have not heard the Grand Tour CD either. Pete does an extreme amount of work promoting bands and artists as do all the reviewers on SOT. It certainly is a labour of love.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    It's an asinine comment with nothing to back it up. As Pete said you can't hear everything. I have not heard the Grand Tour CD either. Pete does an extreme amount of work promoting bands and artists as do all the reviewers on SOT. It certainly is a labour of love.
    It is indeed Jon!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I went in to fix it, but see Pete already has that covered...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I was on that like lightning! LOL

I was on that like lightning! LOL

LOL! Not that it annoys me or anything but, when I read the list and got to Pat Travers and read 'Rocket Ride', I thought at the moment that sounded wrong but kept reading. For some reason, I went back to it and then I realized it was the wrong album title. It happens to everyone, especially when you are doing it by memory. I know it's happened to me on many occasions.

Regarding the list, I always like reading lists to see what I may have missed and what's something I might be curious to investigate. I don't care whether it leans towards any genre/subgenre more than others. To me, it's not a matter of whether I agree with them or not. They are always interesting to read.
    Last edited by Gerardo; 12-23-2015 at 06:04 PM.

Hi All,

Our Staff's picks for Best Albums of 2015 are now live, including a summarized list of the Top 50...feel free to peruse and vote for your favorite from our Top 50:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/sect...icle&artid=291
    I think it is a great list. Every year I use this and a couple of other as my buying guide for the new year. There are many on your list that I do not have yet, but I do have the new Symphony X and agree it ranks right up there with the best they have ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I think it is a great list. Every year I use this and a couple of other as my buying guide for the new year. There are many on your list that I do not have yet, but I do have the new Symphony X and agree it ranks right up there with the best they have ever done.
    I keep saying with every release of theirs that I don't know how they will be able to 'top that one' and they always do!

In case anyone is interested, we do a weekly video blog show on youtube, and my Top 12 of 2015 are discussed in this week's edition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLosnioHkvI

In case anyone is interested, we do a weekly video blog show on youtube, and my Top 12 of 2015 are discussed in this week's edition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLosnioHkvI

Pete! Good to see and hear you again. Been a while! I noticed in your video that you tend top like established acts that deliver the bombast. Not too many young upstarts in your top picks. Since you didn't ask, here's my top 20 for 2015 (I'm not exposed to nearly as many releases as you are since I purchase them all):

1. Vespero- Fitful Slumber Until 5:00AM (great psych with avant tinges)
    2. Hooffoot- s/t (fantastic 70s sounding jazz rock)
    3. Malady-s/t (retro prog from Finland)
    4. Weedpecker - II ( stoner/psych from Poland. Great riffs and melodies)
    5. Agusa- Tva ( retro prog from Sweden. It's a grower)
    6. Anekdoten- Until The Ghosts Are Gone ( solid return from one of Sweden's best)
    7. The Amazing- Picture You ( this band has not released a dud yet)
    8. Big Red Panda- Grand Orbiter ( Portuguese psych with a more space rock tangent on this sophomore release)
    9. Elder- Lore (superb release by one of America's finest stoner outfits)
    10 Jams From The Sun- Pyramidal/Domo split (2 of Spain's finest heavy psych bands share an album)
    11. Kamasi Washington- The Epic (Aptly named mammoth Jazz release)
    12. Echolyn- I Heard You Listening ( solid Echolyn though not on par with the "Windowpane" album)
    13. Guapo- Obscure Knowledge ( another winner by this zeulish band)
    14. Steven Wilson- Hand.Cannot.Erase ( a few more pop flavored tunes dropped this one down on my list. A plateau release for Mr Wilson)
    15. el tubo elastico- s/t ( interesting prog fusion outfit that has room to grow and improve. Look forward to a follow up release)
    16. Turn Me On Dead Man- Haters, Space Invaders, & Clones ( pop tinted psych with a little crunchiness. Fun band!)
    17. The Oh Hellos- Dear Wormwood ( folkie band from Texas that have a bit of a Decemberists flavour to them)
    18. Dungen- Allas Sak ( Not as good as previous releases but still interesting)
    19. Crown Larks- Blood Dancer ( indie sounding band with some avant prog leanings. A little Vdgg-ish at times)
    20. Ecstatic Vision- Sonic Praise ( space/ psych with a little Hawkind influence mixed in)

EDIT: I somehow left ELDER off my original list. They're one of the best stoner bands out of the USA!
    Last edited by Yves; 12-24-2015 at 08:54 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I noticed in your video that you tend top like established acts that deliver the bombast. Not too many young upstarts in your top picks.
    As the new Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Kamelot, Toto, and Whitesnake may be - I tend to look for stuff that's newer, more fresh, more ... different.

That said - the Symphony X really is excellent
    Regards,

Duncan

Pete! Good to see and hear you again. Been a while! I noticed in your video that you tend top like established acts that deliver the bombast. Not too many young upstarts in your top picks. Since you didn't ask, here's my top 20 for 2015 (I'm not exposed to nearly as many releases as you are since I purchase them all):
    Love that list! Some great items that will make mine, there...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Hey Pete. Glad 3RDegree made two writers' lists. Thanks!

1. Vespero- Fitful Slumber Until 5:00AM (great psych with avant tinges)
    2. Hooffoot- s/t (fantastic 70s sounding jazz rock)
    3. Malady-s/t (retro prog from Finland)
    4. Weedpecker - II ( stoner/psych from Poland. Great riffs and melodies)
    5. Agusa- Tva ( retro prog from Sweden. It's a grower)
    6. Anekdoten- Until The Ghosts Are Gone ( solid return from one of Sweden's best)
    7. The Amazing- Picture You ( this band has not released a dud yet)
    8. Big Red Panda- Grand Orbiter ( Portuguese psych with a more space rock tangent on this sophomore release)
    9. Jams From The Sun- Pyramidal/Domo split (2 of Spain's finest heavy psych bands share an album)
    10. Kamasi Washington- The Epic (Aptly named mammoth Jazz release)
    11. Echolyn- I Heard You Listening ( solid Echolyn though not on par with the "Windowpane" album)
    12. Guapo- Obscure Knowledge ( another winner by this zeulish band)
    13. Steven Wilson- Hand.Cannot.Erase ( a few more pop flavored tunes dropped this one down on my list. A plateau release for Mr Wilson)
    14. el tubo elastico- s/t ( interesting prog fusion outfit that has room to grow and improve. Look forward to a follow up release)
    15. Turn Me On Dead Man- Haters, Space Invaders, & Clones ( pop tinted psych with a little crunchiness. Fun band!)
    16. The Oh Hellos- Dear Wormwood ( folkie band from Texas that have a bit of a Decemberists flavour to them)
    17. Dungen- Allas Sak ( Not as good as previous releases but still interesting)
    18. Crown Larks- Blood Dancer ( indie sounding band with some avant prog leanings. A little Vdgg-ish at times)
    19. Ecstatic Vision- Sonic Praise ( space/ psych with a little Hawkind influence mixed in)
    20. Kingdom Of The Holy Sun- Return Of The Sun Kings (pop psych in a similar vein as The Black Angels)
    Hey Yves!! I've only heard a few of the ones from your list (Malady, Agusa, Echolyn, and Steven Wilson). Both the Malady and Agusa are very good, and were on my original list of 100+. If you look at my Top 75, you'll see some more obscure stuff for sure, but my much larger list that I of course have to edit down has some really cool stuff on it too. Just way too much music each year, and some really good music for sure.

As the new Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Kamelot, Toto, and Whitesnake may be - I tend to look for stuff that's newer, more fresh, more ... different.

That said - the Symphony X really is excellent
    Duncan, I wouldn't expect any other statement from you! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    Hey Pete. Glad 3RDegree made two writers' lists. Thanks!
    And I'm sure if would have made others too Robert had they the opportunity to hear your very fine album!

And I'm sure if would have made others too Robert had they the opportunity to hear your very fine album!
    Thanks. Yes, I was thinking definitely Jon who has liked our earlier work. Feel free to send it to him in the super-secret SOT music sharing portal.

Jon Neudorf
    Agreed. Would have certainly made my list.