Page 17 of 131 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I haven't had anything yet by Founders that I didn't think was wonderful. Looking forward to trying these. We, in Boston, only get a few of what they offer. A Total Wine opened up in the next town over from me a couple weeks ago. I'll have to mosy over there and see what they have by Founders.
    If they have Founders Sumatra Mountain, buy it!

Out here in the west Bumfuck, we get Founders, Bells, Surly, and a few other great micros out here, but the distributors play it safe. Nothing but those brands greatest hits. Considering that I can treat myself to a Surly Furious after busting my ass mowing the lawn, it's a sacrifice I can live with.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13014/28203/
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Enjoying a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid at the Tight Lines Brewpub in Morehead City, NC. On draft no less. Only had it at Lagunitas brewery in Petaluma. These guys have a killer eclectic selection.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm having a Night Shift Awake Porter, very nice.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I guess I remain unconvinced at a hops for hops sake approach that names like "Hop Stoopid" implies. I enjoy a clean, crisp hop finish, but I've tried too many beers that have a after taste somewhere between a grapefruit and an ashtray.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Enjoying a Lagunitas Hop Stoopid at the Tight Lines Brewpub in Morehead City, NC. On draft no less. Only had it at Lagunitas brewery in Petaluma. These guys have a killer eclectic selection.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I guess I remain unconvinced at a hops for hops sake approach that names like "Hop Stoopid" implies. I enjoy a clean, crisp hop finish, but I've tried too many beers that have a after taste somewhere between a grapefruit and an ashtray.
    I know what you mean. Dry hopping can infuse a lot off hops for a floral/citrus taste without the ashtray aftertaste. Hop Stoopid benefits from dry hopping and the right amount of malt balance. It's not a light beer though at 8% ABV.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm having a Night Shift Awake Porter, very nice.
    Night Shift is close to me; next town over. They have a large tasting room, a beer garden (mostly asphalt) outside when the weather is nice, a rotating selection of visiting food trucks, and occasionally live music. And very good beers, too. My favorite is Whirlpool. Low alcohol (4.2%) and juicy hoppiness. Very similar to Heady Topper, although Heady has twice the alcohol.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I haven't had anything yet by Founders that I didn't think was wonderful. Looking forward to trying these. We, in Boston, only get a few of what they offer. A Total Wine opened up in the next town over from me a couple weeks ago. I'll have to mosy over there and see what they have by Founders.
    I live about 45 minutes from Founders brewery, and agree they don’t really make any duds. There are some styles that I like better than others, but they do them all well. For a long time in Southwest Michigan, Founders kind of lived in Bell’s shadow, but these days they often get rated higher than Bell’s and have expanded their operation significantly in the last few years. Both breweries make amazing stuff and I am lucky to live where I live.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

The New Prog Beer Snob Thread

Here's another one I know you like Steve. Man, is it good!:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

Best beer in America if you ask me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great beer
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I've seen no Bell's this far west.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Me, neither--hope it makes it out here!

"And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I'm def a prog snob and just getting into beer again. Lot's of good one's in the Hudson Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Living in Kalamazoo, I am a bit spoiled with Two Hearted. It can literally be found on tap in every bar / restaurant in the area, and can be found in any store that sells beer. It has become Bell’s biggest seller and, I can get it anytime I want. I sometimes forget, just how great a beer it is since it is so common here, and I drink it so often. But, yea…..bottom line I am a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I've seen no Bell's this far west.
    Bell's started distribution in Southern California last year, although I do not know if it is available throughout the state yet.

SteveSly, I've heard there is (was) 2016 Black Note at the general store today. 3 4-pk limit.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    SteveSly, I've heard there is (was) 2016 Black Note at the general store today. 3 4-pk limit.
    Mmm......I have no clue and have not heard anything about it. Seems like there would be a buzz on facebook if this was the case, but I have not seen anything. I may have to stop down by the brewery in the morning and check it out. Black Note is indeed the nectar of the gods and it's release is usually kept a pretty big secret.

Banned
    The Founders Dry Hopped Pale Ale is a really good version of that genre of ale. Beats 60 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Mmm......I have no clue and have not heard anything about it. Seems like there would be a buzz on facebook if this was the case, but I have not seen anything. I may have to stop down by the brewery in the morning and check it out. Black Note is indeed the nectar of the gods and it's release is usually kept a pretty big secret.
    There's been a buzz on facebook (with a bunch of bottle pics). One post said they sold out today. I hope there's more tomorrow. I may need to make a roadtrip. In 2014, I think BN lasted 2 and a half days at the General Store. But the craft scene is bigger now.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    There's been a buzz on facebook (with a bunch of bottle pics). One post said they sold out today. I hope there's more tomorrow. I may need to make a roadtrip. In 2014, I think BN lasted 2 and a half days at the General Store. But the craft scene is bigger now.
    After searching around a bit I did find a few references, but I was totally unaware of it. Yea, I got some of it in 2014 just strictly by luck as I happened to stop by the store when it was released. I will probably check it out in the morning, but won’t be able to get down there until around 11AM-ish.

Made a run to the liquor store in a neighboring town. The brew on the far left is Woodchipper IPA from Fargo Brewing Company. And yes, that name is no coincidence.

beer fridge.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Made a run to the liquor store in a neighboring town. The brew on the far left is Woodchipper IPA from Fargo Brewing Company. And yes, that name is no coincidence.

beer fridge.jpg
    I hope the name of the one next to it is.

Over-Rated scores in the low 90s on Beer Advocate. That's pretty damn high.