Page 242 of 404 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245246252292342 ... LastLast
Results 6,026 to 6,050 of 10088

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I gonna be in the North Country over the weekend so only Isles via internet radio.

Probably best anyway so I don't throw my binger x-) thru the plasma TV.
    hahahaha I wish I didn't have a TV this weekend. LOL (except for Masters). The last two weeks, I haven't even been able to sit for last 5 minutes of every game. So nerve racking.

The kids have played so awesome this year, all of this is total gravy for Leaf fans who *should* understand that the years of the hapless Leafs organization are over, and if we don't make it, that's fine. We are once again a "professional" franchise. However, as fate would have it, they were at 90% chance to make it with 4 games left. The mass of Leaf haters/chirpers are more on the edge of their seat than Leaf fans, hoping they blow it so they can come out with "nothing changed, Leafs still chokers" stuff. lol That for me will be the ONLY bad thing about the Leafs not making it, if that happens. You all have no idea just how much of that stuff I'll have to listen to untill next September. No idea. LOL

Not only have the Leafs righted the ship, I will make a bold prediction right here that they will be the team to beat in the Atlantic next season. They're only 8 points out of first place right now, with a bunch of kids and mostly unprovens.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not only have the Leafs righted the ship, I will make a bold prediction right here that they will be the team to beat in the Atlantic next season. They're only 8 points out of first place right now, with a bunch of kids and mostly unprovens.
    As a fan for 30 years (diehard), I finally started to lose interest in the team in the last few years. I've been watching the standings with hope this year but I hope they don't collapse like they have in the past. I'm sorry for jumping on and off on the boat but if they stay competitive next year I might regain my commitment.

Greg,

I grew up a Leaf fan and exasperation of the Ballard years made me choose another team. Today I live in Montreal and they will always be my number 1 team, but the Leafs have become my no 2 team. My mom is a die hard fan and I'd love to see them climb to the pinnacle in her lifetime.

They need to win one for Dave Keon and Darryl Sittler!

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They need to win one for Dave Keon and Darryl Sittler!
    And Borje Salming, Ian Turnbull, Mike Palmateer, Errol Thompson, Brian Glennie, Tiger Williams, Inga Hammerstrom...

Greg,

I grew up a Leaf fan and exasperation of the Ballard years made me choose another team. Today I live in Montreal and they will always be my number 1 team, but the Leafs have become my no 2 team. My mom is a die hard fan and I'd love to see them climb to the pinnacle in her lifetime.
    Bandwagon jumpin' fucker! It is punishment by slow death for any Islander or Ranger fan who would even consider ever switching allegiances!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Sens are in and have two games left to lock into the #2 spot in the Atlantic Division. No one wants to face Washington in the first round, so the Sens will be playing all available players in these games. Cody Ceci made a "miraculous" recovery and played last night in that snoozefest they called a hockey game. I suspect there will more of the same if these two face each other in the first round, except with a few more amateur vasectomies when Marchand returns. Two games was a joke for what he did. I would be delighted if the Leafs made it in, as it's time to renew the real Battle of Ontario!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Greg,

I also grew up cheering for the Leafs, but my hatred of that crook, Harold Ballard, turned me off them forever. Cheered for my fantasy players for the next number of years, then started cheering for the home team in 92.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    As a fan for 30 years (diehard), I finally started to lose interest in the team in the last few years. I've been watching the standings with hope this year but I hope they don't collapse like they have in the past. I'm sorry for jumping on and off on the boat but if they stay competitive next year I might regain my commitment.
    I understand losing interest. I was there too. But if they collapse this year, it won't be like they have in the past. This is a new team. New management, new players, and new attitude. The only thing holding them back is inexperience. But they have some of the best rookies in the league. Give these kids a few more years under their belt and I have confidence that we'll be the team to beat. The Leafs won't be the laughing stock of the league for much longer. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs this year...time is running out. But if they do miss, it won't be for lack of trying.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I understand losing interest. I was there too. But if they collapse this year, it won't be like they have in the past. This is a new team. New management, new players, and new attitude. The only thing holding them back is inexperience. But they have some of the best rookies in the league. Give these kids a few more years under their belt and I have confidence that we'll be the team to beat. The Leafs won't be the laughing stock of the league for much longer. I don't know if they'll make the playoffs this year...time is running out. But if they do miss, it won't be for lack of trying.
    That's encouraging!

The eons are closing
    I agree, regardless of whether the Isles or Leafs make it, I too am fairly certain that the Young Buds are an impending playoff staple.

Total reinvention of the operations and a commitment to youth and quality.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The eons are closing
    Took care of our business vs Devils.
    Hope Cindy's can handle their sh!t.

LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAFS! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    good for the leafs.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Took care of our business vs Devils.
    Hope Cindy's can handle their sh!t.
    <plays taps> sorry bud. Or am I?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    good for the leafs.
    We probably won't make it past the first round. But that's okay. I don't think anyone was expecting the Leafs to even make it to the playoffs this soon. It's only the beginning.

The eons are closing
    [emoji107] sigh.... Good luck to everyone's team! And by everyone, I mean not Klonker.

LOL

Dammit...

It was tough losing Tavares down the stretch. This is the time you need your elite players to shine. (We lost a few key guys in the last month but just bored the opposition to sleep to grab the points we needed to make it to the dance.) Isles seemed to lose something this year with the departures of Martin and Neilsson. Never seemed to have the fire burning inside like in previous years. Just an outsider's take on things.

Today is the final day for Joe Luis Arena in Detroit. I have some great memories of both hockey and concerts in the place, but………..the arena is a dump and has been in need of replacement for a long time. Hoping to get to take my dad to a game in the new arena next year.

So are they tearing down the Joe or will it be used for other purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    So are they tearing down the Joe or will it be used for other purposes?
    The plan is to tear it down.

Well the Leafs lost tonight and dropped down into a wild card spot, so it looks like we'll be playing Washington in the first round. I expect that we'll be out in four, maybe five if we're lucky. But that's okay. It'll give some of our young players some playoff experience that they can draw on next year. GO LEAFS!

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    It was tough losing Tavares down the stretch. This is the time you need your elite players to shine. (We lost a few key guys in the last month but just bored the opposition to sleep to grab the points we needed to make it to the dance.) Isles seemed to lose something this year with the departures of Martin and Neilsson. Never seemed to have the fire burning inside like in previous years. Just an outsider's take on things.
    Lost something big with Martin that does not show up in the box score. That fourth line last year played a lot of important minutes in spots that a normal 4th line would be on the bench. They had a physical presence with Martin that they lacked this year, and energized the team with their endless hits. Either Martin or Clutterbuck led the league in hits for the last 6 years or so. They even put some pucks in the net too (33 goals between Martin, Clutterbuck and Cizikas). Nielsen wanted to leave as he didn't make more when he left. I thought Okposo was a mistake to let go but when he wanted such a long term contract, he had to go... then they gave 7 years to Ladd so I don't know if anything was gained or lost there. Cimera, who the Isles also picked up as a free agent along with Ladd to offset the loses of Martin, Nielsen and Okposo, got off to a horrendous start that really had the Isles out of it since about early December. Of course they weren't the only ones who started badly. Its golfing season for the Isles, and they better better tie up Tavares this summer or it will be a long time before they get close to the playoffs for a while.

The eons are closing
    re: tavares injury
    Isles won every game he was out. In fact, I was very pleased especially with Ladd during this past 4 games. An actual non factor.

Re: Martin/Okposo/Nielsen
    I have waxed poetic on this subject many pages up thread. What this season bore out:

- Nielsen was unequivocally the engine of the PP1 unit. Without him they were god awful rather than average +.
    - Neither Martin nor Clutterbuck/Cizikas will ever individually be as good as the 3 of them were collectively. Sum greater than parts...
    - Okposo while the easiest to replace from a production perspective, his leadership (or IMO he was actual captain no matter who wore 'C') was missed bigtime early in the year.

I am rooting for Maple Buds in Round 1.
    Gotta pick my Western Conference team to root for.

Taking applications. lol

- Thomas