Page 164 of 404 FirstFirst ... 64114154160161162163164165166167168174214264 ... LastLast
Results 4,076 to 4,100 of 10077

Thread: The NHL Discussion Thread

15 to go...
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    A Habs fan? Biased? Nah, couldn't be.

Yves, I have to laugh. Every time a Hab goes down, 20,000 people get their panties in a knot.

Subban won't be further punished.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/746854

Stone is questionable for the rest of the series. He has a microfracture of the wrist.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/746902
    It's one of those unfortunate things... Like when Eller got knocked out at center ice in Game 1 of our series 2 years ago, or when Price went down last year. Tis series will be a war of attrition and I expect other casualties on both sides. I expect the Sens will not go out of their way seeking revenge because that will take them out of their game plan.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Yves, the Stone and the Eller incidents differ quite a bit. The Eller play was an open ice hit in which Gryba caught Eller with a shoulder to the head. Eller's head was down because of a "suicide" pass from Diaz. Gryba got a penalty, ejection and a two game suspension. Stone took a two-hander above the gloves and is questionable for the series. The league office ruled that there would be no further discipline to Subban before the results of Stone's X-rays were known. That's what's making Ottawa grumpy.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

I've seen the slash at least 10 times now. Subban caught him in a bad spot but since he was already looking away when his stick came down, it cannot be determined that he was aiming specifically for that spot with intent to take Stone out of the series. I don't think the Habs had a game plan to injure Stone. I don't think they needed one to prevail in this series and it's not the type of team they are, nor is it the type of player Subban is. He is a skill player, not a goon. Other factors will arise in this series that will determine its outcome , imo.

Berube's been fired!! w00t!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I really thought that the Penguins would hire Tortorella after their house-cleaning last off-season, but really, what could be more Philly than the Flyers hiring Torts? That's a reality show I'd watch all day!

Good God, no.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Thank goodness Hextall told everyone that he was the coach, what, two days ago? Sorry, but Philly is falling into Bruins/Jacobs territory here!
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by rottersclub View Post
    Thank goodness Hextall told everyone that he was the coach, what, two days ago? Sorry, but Philly is falling into Bruins/Jacobs territory here!
    Actually, he had said that he hadn't made a decision yet.

No idea why it took two extra days.

Maybe because he couldn't find his RED PEN.

There are plenty of good coaching candidates out there without hiring a re-tread like Torts. Claude Julien will most likely be available and his style works. I always thought a guy like Guy Boucher should get another shot at a HC job...

I'm hearing Julien and Boucher's names, people think Babcock will be available, some think Hitchcock will be available.

Babcock is just crazy enough to take the Leafs job... Shanahan is gonna hand him a blank check.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    nor is it the type of player Subban is. He is a skill player, not a goon.
    yes he is incredibly skilled and not a goon, but he's also one of the biggest cheap shot artists in the NHL. He slew foots, slashes and hacks, dives with the best of em and on top of all that, never backs it up when challenged. That 5 mins and game was totally deserved with that slash.

Rangers seemed to sit back after the 1st period, but squeaked out a win. A win's a win baby! I don't think we'll see them take there foot of the gas from now on...I hope!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

The ending of Calgary-Vancouver has just turned into something straight out of "Slapshot".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    yes he is incredibly skilled and not a goon, but he's also one of the biggest cheap shot artists in the NHL. He slew foots, slashes and hacks, dives with the best of em and on top of all that, never backs it up when challenged. That 5 mins and game was totally deserved with that slash.
    In other words, he plays defense in the NHL.

He's a marked man every night so he gives back what he gets. Dropping the gloves is not his job but it's exactly what the opposing team would like to see. The guy plays 25+ minutes a game. Aside from the major he would get for dropping the gloves, the energy wasted in a fight would render him much less effective for the remainder of the game. I have seen him get into at least one fight and he can defend himself if needed. I think that he has toned down his "embellishments" because he's known for it too much and the refs will have none of it.

Well that was ugly. The Lightning are looking really good.

It's the playoffs and this thread is like a ghost town!

Stan, the Sens are putting up a valiant effort in every game but just coming up one goal short. They've made tremendous strides this season but maybe still a couple of pieces short of truly contending. I liked the decision to put Anderson in net. The Hamburglar made a lot of saves in game 2 but 2 of the 3 goals he allowed were a little soft. I'm not counting this series as won until we get that 4th victory but it would be a monumental task for the Sens to win 4 in a row.

I am hoping that the Wings can knock off the Bolts somehow and even hoping that the Pens can upset the Rangers!

Yves, I give the Habs full credit for their 3-0 series lead. The Sens have played hard but as you and (much earlier in the season) I said, the Sens are couple of players short of really challenging for the Cup. Remember, they have 6 rookies in their line-up for this series.

Just a couple of observations on the series:

- hitting - the English language CBC broadcasters were going nuts over the amount of hitting in the first period.
    - small players - don't seem to be as big an issue than in past years. Desharnais is playing like a giant. I am very impressed with him. I've always been a big fan of Plekanec. He's very versatile and plays important minutes for the Habs. On the Sens side, Pageau plays a very physical game for a small player. And last night, Karlsson converted some those Toronto-centric broadcasters with his physical play. Sorry if Beaulieu has to miss time because of the open ice hit from Karlsson.
    - role players - in Game one it was the Mitchell/Prust/Flynn line that did the damage. Last night, it was Weise. That's what the playoffs are all about. On the Sens side, I can't tell you how disappointed I am with the play of Bobby Ryan. He's the most skilled forward on the team and he can barely keep the puck on his stick in this series. He tried to play with a sports hernia last year and eventually shut it down. This year, he got slashed and broke a bone in his finger and played on with having it frozen every game. It looks like he's playing hurt, but there have been no reports about any possible injury.

There can't be too much misery in Ottawa if they fall to the Habs. The fact they even made it to the playoffs is amazing. So everyone will have their heads held high should they fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Babcock is just crazy enough to take the Leafs job... Shanahan is gonna hand him a blank check.
    Not only do the the Leafs have the money, but with all of the coaching staff recently fired, the new head coach can build both his coaching team and his players from the ground up. What coach wouldn't love the opportunity to come into a team where there are no boundaries and he has the opportunity to build his own team?

I think there's a lot of benefit to whoever ends up in the Leafs HC position. If I were Babcock, I'd find the opportunity to create my own dream team pretty attractive.

Apparently Terry Pegula of the Sabres is ready to open the vault for Mr. Babcock as well. Just what he wants - a bidding war for his services.

I like Pageau too. I'd take him on the Habs in a heartbeat, local boy and all... The Karlsson hit was one of those that looked like a shoulder to shoulder hit at first but the replay showed a hit to the head. I don't think the intent was there from Karlsson. Beaulieu has been feisty in this series and he's really coming of age so I hope he'll be OK. Weise is one of those guys that can play on any line and adapt to the role he's asked. One of the Habs more underrated players, imo...

Did you hear them singing "Pageau, Pageau, Pageau" to the melody of "Olé, Olé, Olé" last night? Too funny!

14 to go...

Classic Pens/Cindy action the last 10 minutes or so. Cheap shots everywhere. Bump to Lundquist here, headlock on Boyle there. They finished off every check with a high-stick, elbow or slash. Rangers did look a bit worn at the end, but come out with the 2-1 games lead thanks to a great kick save here and a goal post there. This was the first game I've seen of the series due to work, and hopefully the last as again, work on Wed. then U.K. concert Friday. At least with the other series starting later I do get my hockey playoff fix on. Wild-Blues, Ducks-Jets, here I come.