Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Yes finishes second in Rock Hall of Fame voting

[Why? What has Bruford done to suggest he would have much interest in going?]

That's a good question. What reasons do you have for thinking he wouldn't be interested in going?

You could ask that question about any member or ex member. YES has been snubbed for so long I wouldn't be too surprised if none of them show up.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    No votes for Galahad or Aardvark? Seriously?
    Which Aardvark? The UK proto prog band from 1970 or the much more recent Finnish prog band?

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

That's a good question. What reasons do you have for thinking he wouldn't be interested in going?

You could ask that question about any member or ex member. YES has been snubbed for so long I wouldn't be too surprised if none of them show up.
    Whatever they think of the HOF as an institution showing up would give them a bigger spotlight than they have had since probably the Union era. IMHO it would be foolish not to take advantage of the opportunity and reap the benefits of something that stands to put money in their pockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I only voted for Yes, The Smiths and NIN.

Me too (although I added Cheap Trick to the mix.)
    The Prog Corner

I just picked Yes and The Spinners. "I'll Be Around" is a classic.

the idea that any idiot who was in Yes should be in HOF is a bad joke and shows what a sham this is---I mean there are truly great talents not in this "HOF"---the idea that sherwood, benoit, Igor, or davidson or wakemans son should get in is ridiculous---I mean Moraz was at least on a landmark prog album and the tours with him were at the peak of their live events.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    ABWH was eligible as of last year.

"It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I voted for Yes & Deep Purple (repeatedly)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Are those cats'n'gal in Citadel already in??!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I don't think a band gets in for having one hit. So that is why I don't think "Owner of a Lonely Heart" gets Rabin in. It's the 70's YES that made the most impact and influenced Rock Music. That's why they put in bands like The New York Dolls or the Ramones. It's not because of album sales alone. If YES only existed in the 80's they would not get in period. No way the guys in the current line up get in, or anything Sherwood related. None of those albums sold well or made any kind of major contributing influence on the scene. The Smiths would go in before modern YES. It's The YES ALBUM, CTTE, FRAGILE that get them in.... period.. so the members would be from those albums. If they extend beyond that it's White and maybe Rabin, but I really doubt it. Certainly not Horn or Downes. Nothing against those guys. But not going to happen.

NIN belongs in the RRHOF? no wonder I never went to see it even though I lived in Ohio for 6 months with absolutely nothing to do but work. I drove by the place every day and never went in. It was the most boring year of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind Drive View Post
    I just picked Yes and The Spinners. "I'll Be Around" is a classic.
    I've said that those two, Chicago, Deep Purple and The Smiths are who I think should be there this time around. All are very different and important acts. I can hardly believe that acts like The Spinners, The Stylistics, The Delfonics, Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes etc. aren't there already.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post

Many ex-Yes members remain active performing musicians who would benefit from the publicity (e.g. Anderson, Wakeman (either one), Moraz), and they've said positive things about the Hall of Fame (e.g. Anderson). Bruford has retired from performance and been outspoken in his views on the music business and on rock music.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I don't think a band gets in for having one hit. So that is why I don't think "Owner of a Lonely Heart" gets Rabin in. It's the 70's YES that made the most impact and influenced Rock Music. That's why they put in bands like The New York Dolls or the Ramones. It's not because of album sales alone. If YES only existed in the 80's they would not get in period. No way the guys in the current line up get in, or anything Sherwood related. None of those albums sold well or made any kind of major contributing influence on the scene. The Smiths would go in before modern YES. It's The YES ALBUM, CTTE, FRAGILE that get them in.... period.. so the members would be from those albums. If they extend beyond that it's White and maybe Rabin, but I really doubt it. Certainly not Horn or Downes. Nothing against those guys. But not going to happen.
    I suspect you are making two mistakes here. First, you are trying to apply logic when it's politics that matter. Bands gain plenty of promotion from being inducted, but there's a mutually beneficial relationship here whereby the Hall benefits from the bands' involvement. The Hall wants the cooperation of the acts and that perforce means the acts in their current state. So, current members of acts have some power and are more likely to be featured as a result.

Secondly, your logic is poor. You talk as if the Hall is some perfect arbiter of some objective truth of who has had "most impact and influenced Rock Music". They're not. Sure, they don't simply induct the bestsellers, but nor do they entirely ignore sales. A band wouldn't get in just on the strength of 90125, but that's irrelevant here. The question here is, if Yes gets in, how does the process judge the different periods of Yes. And they're not going to ignore the sales or indeed influence of the 1980s band.

So, if Yes are inducted (and we have to wait and see on that), then White and Rabin will get their names on some wall, and White, Downes and Sherwood will be at the performance.

Henry

With Yes' penchant for blown opportunities I would not be surprised if only Kaye and Sherwood show up.

Can't wait to see Jon D., Billy & Co. perform some down-tempo chestnuts in front of Jobson, Brislin, and Horns' names on some wall. That sounds thread-crappish of me, doesn't it, so I'll add that I love pre-80s Yes and I do think that if a thing like the RRHOF must exist (and, looks like it must because we've willed it into existence), Yes certainly deserves to be there: performing down-tempo chestnuts in front of Jobson, Brislin, and Horns' names on some wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Well said ----makes sense so probably won't happen. Many of these bands get in because they know the powers that be---Rabin probably is an example of that.
    One thing for sure--sycophant rock star sherwood will be there lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    One thing for sure--sycophant rock star sherwood will be there lol
    Let's be fair. Yes is his favorite band, as far as I can tell. Wouldn't it be strange if he wasn't in attendance when they get inducted?

You can create as many scenarios as you want, but if Yes gets inducted, this is the line-up that goes in and any other line-up will not be allowed on stage at the induction ceremony:
    Jon Anderson, Peter Banks, Chris Squire, Tony Kaye, Bill Bruford
    That's who was on the first album and that's who gets in. You may recall the kerfuffle last year when Gene Simmons wanted current members of Kiss on stage but the HoF refused, so just the original band accepted the induction. That's also why they didn't play, because Simmons wouldn't without the current members. So like current members of Kiss, I'm sure that Rick Wakeman, Patrick Moraz et al will be welcome to sit in the audience.
    So no discussion there.
    But what is worth discussing is, who will induct them? Induction speeches from the right person often lends a legitimacy and credence to the bands legacy. Geddy Lee would be a good choice.

^ No. The Hall do not impose an original member criterion like that. With Kiss, their original line-up is their best known, but with many bands, that's not the case. They didn't enforce such an original member criterion for Rush, did they? Likewise, I doubt they will for Yes.

Henry

Let's look at some actual examples and ignore the wild and bizarre speculations above. Here are some recent cases:

Act: inducted
    Green Day: Billie Joe Armstrong, Tré Cool, Mike Dirnt -- this is the classic Green Day line-up; it ignores two little-known original members; it ignores the drummer on the first album; it ignores the recently-joined guitarist
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band: Paul Butterfield, Mike Bloomfield, Elvin Bishop, Mark Naftalin, Jerome Arnold, Billy Davenport, Sam Lay -- that's the line-up on the first album + the drummer on the second album, but ignoring some later members
    Nirvana: Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic -- that's the classic Nirvana line-up, even though Grohl isn't on the first album; various other shorter-lived members are ignored

So, so far, that's pretty clear. There's no original line-up rule. The Hall generally wants the classic, well-known line-up, but will induct extra people, like having the first and second drummer for the Butterfield Blues Band.

Henry

who will induct them? probably some currently relevant image popping shape shifter who really shouldn't deserve the honor. the Hall likes to keep the ceremony homogenous when it comes to ratings. when honoring 'dinosaurs' of R&R they want some hipsters in the mix to keep the short attention span dudes of today watching. they will probably pick someone who wasn't even born when Owner Of A Lonely Heart was a hit.

anyway my pick for presenting Yes at the Ceremony would be Brian May of Queen.
    he's a fan, they opened for Yes, he knew Chris and he has such a nice & polite way of speaking about people.

I know many young musicians over the years who have been inspired by 70's Yes---if not the music in all cases--the musicianship---and over the years many have noted Yes as a huge influence---Rush would be just one ..said Relayer was their favorite--Jimmy Page once said he'd like Zep to do some arty music like Tales...their next album was Physical G. The guy who came up with House music in the 80's---not that prog fans would care---it's a special beat that was revolutionary in dance music, mentioned he listened to the choppy beats of Close to the Edge and came up with the beat. I can't tell you how many younger people who know music mention Howe, Squire, Bruford or Wakeman as inspirational. So yeah, they deserve to be in....No one has ever mentioned 90125 or Rabin as an influence. So, the classic line up should get in and if they want to throw in Rabin, which they will---so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    You can create as many scenarios as you want, but if Yes gets inducted, this is the line-up that goes in and any other line-up will not be allowed on stage at the induction ceremony:
    Getting Bruford onstage for the ceremony is probably only slightly more likely than getting Squire and Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    That's who was on the first album and that's who gets in.
    So how do you explain Steve Hackett and Phil Collins getting in with Genesis?