Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Scott Weiland

http://stonetemplepilots.com/dear-scott/

Scott Weiland's bandmate Tommy Black has been arrested for possession of cocaine on the tour bus where Scott died.

Police say they found a small quantity of a suspected controlled substance that field tested positive as cocaine in the bedroom where Scott was found.

They also found another small amount of the same substance in an area of the bus occupied by Black ... who is a guitarist for Scott Weiland and The Wildabouts.

Black was arrested and booked for 5th degree felony possession of drugs.

As we reported, several legendary musicians were in touch with each other 4 days before Scott died, saying he was back on drugs ... specifically crack cocaine.

RIP. Weiland was one of the most talented singers to come out of that era, and it sucks that drugs derailed him--he had a lot to offer.

That was a pretty classy statement from STP especially considering they had another complete falling out after the re-union tour last year.

This is one of those "Not if, but when" situations. Like with Layne Stanley and Amy Winehouse.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That was a pretty classy statement from STP especially considering they had another complete falling out after the re-union tour last year.
    I was thinking the same thing. I don't think any of those guys were surprised at all, but you can tell they really loved him and that it still hurts them to see him go.

I was recalling today the first time I heard Sex Type Thing on MTV and how it cut through a lot of the other stuff that was out at that time to me. Scott's voice was a huge part of that. And then I recall not long after that seeing them do the song live on MTV with Scott performing the song in drag, which I thought was pretty daring and really gave the song a different spin. These guys could do things that were totally top notch. But I owned Plush for a while and overall it didn't hold my attention other than a few stunning moments. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Bill

Wow, just found out a few minutes ago, like many have said - not too surprised but it's very sad. Got to see STP on the Shangri-la tour and remember Weiland to be captivating as hell, I dug those guys a lot.

I'm not a STP fan, but I bought his solo album "12 Bar Blues" and really enjoy it. It's nothing like STP or VR and is pretty left field. I highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I'm not a STP fan, but I bought his solo album "12 Bar Blues" and really enjoy it. It's nothing like STP or VR and is pretty left field. I highly recommend it.
    x2

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Kind of weird they arrest the bassist for possession at the same time as this. Maybe it sort of makes sense, but not really. I could understand that more if it was heroin.

Not meaning to be disrespectful, but when I read Weiland died it was perhaps the least surprising news I had seen in a long while.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I thought he had cleaned up himself. The allure of heroin is something that I've heard is very, very strong. It's life on the road that really kills these guys. When I heard Entwhisle died from cocaine I couldn't believe it. A guy in his 60s still carrying on like a twenty something rock star.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I thought he had cleaned up himself. The allure of heroin is something that I've heard is very, very strong. It's life on the road that really kills these guys. When I heard Entwhisle died from cocaine I couldn't believe it. A guy in his 60s still carrying on like a twenty something rock star.
    I saw a doctor on tv a while back discussing the effects of Cocaine in men over 50 years old, and how as the body ages the impact on the heart can be much more severe. His point was that people who try to continue to party like they did in their younger days are asking for trouble. Entiwistle was an example he used. He also talked about Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot who, for his age, was in great physical shape, but in the end died of a Cocaine induced heart attack. The exact same thing happened here in my hometown when Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers died in his hotel room before a show here for the same reason. It has been many years since I indulged in the stuff, but it would make me nervous today.

What a shame. 48 is too young. He was an excellent front man.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace to a talented singer. Condolences to his family.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

About a decade ago when I was living in LA, a good buddy of mine rented the first floor of a house in Hollywood. Weiland and wife lived on the second floor.

I was over there from time to time but never ran into Weiland. My friend said that he didn't seem him much either but that he was always calm and polite. One time we made some jokes about wild sex and drug parties going on above, and my friend said he never saw (or heard) anything like that. But I guess going out on the road always brings that temptation back.

I agree that is a touching letter from the band. Really heartfelt but pulls no punches either.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Kind of weird they arrest the bassist for possession at the same time as this. Maybe it sort of makes sense, but not really. I could understand that more if it was heroin.
    Why would heroin be different than coke?

Heroin OD's are more common than cocaine OD's.

But like someone mentioned in an earlier post, men in their 40s/50s are playing Russian roulette with coke.

The ole heart just can't take it.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

In the case of John Entwhisle I think he also had some young, road hottie with him when the ol' ticker gave out.

One last mule kick...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    In the case of John Entwhisle I think he also had some young, road hottie with him when the ol' ticker gave out.
    Well, actually.......if ya gotta go I can think of worse ways out.

It has been suggested (in the Amazing Journey documentary, for instance) that Entwistle had problems in terms of giving up the 'rock star' lifestyle in every respect.

I'm not that familiar with Stone Temple Pilots but I remember being grateful for Velvet Revolver (even though I wasn't a fan) at Live8 for providing some rock! I was aware of a lot of chatter on certain forums about Scott Weiland's recent concert performances and interviews being pretty problematic, so this wasn't a surprise- sadly.

http://www.esquire.com/entertainment...and-interview/

Scott Weiland: 'This Is My Life, a Cautionary Tale. Maybe Somebody Can Learn from It.'

Worth a look...

Thanks for sharing that Sean!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    discussing the effects of Cocaine in men over 50 years old, and how as the body ages the impact on the heart can be much more severe. His point was that people who try to continue to party like they did in their younger days are asking for trouble. Entiwistle was an example he used. He also talked about Kevin Dubrow from Quiet Riot who, for his age, was in great physical shape, but in the end died of a Cocaine induced heart attack. The exact same thing happened here in my hometown when Bobby Hatfield of the Righteous Brothers died in his hotel room.
    Absolutely true. What's particularly discouraging about it, is that coke is essentially used as an "upper" with well-off middleaged or even older folks who've developed a high level of alcohol resistance through decades of accustomized drinking, and who therefore require a heavier intake of the latter in order to "get off", so to speak. Poor people - i.e. non-"rock stars" - often apply simple amphetamines for that very same effect and function, but even this may actually lower the cardiac standards of a normal body when older than 50.

Thinking about the whole series of famous celebrities who've succumbed to speedballs, and considering how it's actually the coke which renders the heroin dosage its lethal effect as part of that cocktail.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Drugs are awesome. Then you become addicted and it turns into a full time job and those always suck. Scientific fact.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."