Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opera thread

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I don't think there's even a come back for that.
    cool

I'm not sure what it is about opera that makes ignorant people feel the need to advertise their ignorance.

Being dumb is not a virtue.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I didn't know this at all, but a friend recently loaned me his blu-ray of Renee Fleming doing this at the Met in NY. What a gorgeous score - and a gorgeous production, too.
    Oh, I'd love that. Thanks for the tip ! (y)

One thing that impresses me about Opera in general, and things like Rusalka in particular: The difficulty a composer might face, inasmuch as he/ she needs to stick to the intentions of libretti, and the need to appeal to the sensibilities of an Opera crowd, instead of composing to their heart's desire. But, although this piece is Program Music of sorts, it's still tellingly Dvorak, and successful, at that.

Again, thanks for the blue ray tip. (y)

I'm not sure what it is about opera that makes ignorant people feel the need to advertise their ignorance.
    LOL -- this can be taken two ways you know!

"Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he
    sings." ~Robert Benchley

I haven't sit through an entire opera, but I have heard bits & pieces that I like a lot.

There are some terrific single discs of recitals by singers that are a great introduction.

A good recent one is the Puccini disc by Jonas Kauffman:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nessun-Dorma...ufmann+puccini

Meatloaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    And you can't seem to separate yourself from stupid comments.
    Give him a break..., he's gassy tonight
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

There are some terrific single discs of recitals by singers that are a great introduction.

A good recent one is the Puccini disc by Jonas Kauffman:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nessun-Dorma...ufmann+puccini
    No one sleeps. I was never into these kind of discs, but I can see where they would be a great introduction to the world of opera. That one looks great.

Have never listened to an Opera but saw my first live last year,,Turandot..Loved it...Since then have seen Lucia di Lammermoor, and Fidelio..Loved them both also..Next up in 2016, Romeo & Juliet..

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Have never listened to an Opera but saw my first live last year,,Turandot..Loved it...Since then have seen Lucia di Lammermoor, and Fidelio..Loved them both also..Next up in 2016, Romeo & Juliet..

Seeing an opera live is an experience in itself. I used to love going to the Met.

Agreed, but it's a gamble: decent seats at any major opera house are prohibitively expensive and productions, of course, vary wildly in quality.

I tend these days to prefer watching opera on blu-ray. A fraction of the cost, re-viewable and without any of the annoyances inherent in sitting in a room full of strangers.

Huge Wagner fan here. I discovered The Ring a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I'm actually happy that I went as long as I did before hearing it: If I had encountered it earlier in my life, I wouldn't have understood it. I have a smattering of recordings of all the major opera composers, but nothing hits me the way Wagner does.

One opera that I like a lot that I haven't seen mentioned is Stravinsky's The Rake's Progress.

NP: Gentle Giant Playing the Fool

Listening to these lately.

Hindemith-Das Nusch-Nuschi Some great music and baritone singing. And it's easily digestible on one CD.

To my ears, this opera contains some of Britten's most inventive and modern music.
    Scored for a chamber group of 12 players. 2 CDs around 55 min each.

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Huge Wagner fan here. I discovered The Ring a couple of years ago and haven't looked back. I'm actually happy that I went as long as I did before hearing it: If I had encountered it earlier in my life, I wouldn't have understood it.
    I see you have the deluxe Solti set as your avatar. His recording is marvellous! I also enjoy the Goodall recording from the UK in the mid-70s. It's in English and very slow (I like it, but many Wagnerians don't), but Rita Hunter, the Brunhilde is IMO the most beautifully sung I've ever heard.

Any other Wagner recordings anyone thinks are essential?

I see you have the deluxe Solti set as your avatar. His recording is marvellous! I also enjoy the Goodall recording from the UK in the mid-70s. It's in English and very slow (I like it, but many Wagnerians don't), but Rita Hunter, the Brunhilde is IMO the most beautifully sung I've ever heard.

I heard the Goodall version one time back in the late 70's. I hope to never hear it again.

Levine's Met version is a bit slow, but I like it. The first version of the Ring I heard was the Solti version and nothing has compared to it for me since. Sometimes the first version you hear of a classical piece is the only version that ends up sounding right to you. Especially if you've listened to it many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    The first version of the Ring I heard was the Solti version and nothing has compared to it for me since.
    Yes - I think it was probably the introduction to the Ring for at least two generations. And what an introduction! A stellar cast and studio sound/production that IMO is unsurpassed.

For me it lacks some of the zing that live recordings can bring - the Barenboim Bayreuth recording from the 90s is, to my ears, a more profound reading, but the singing is not worthy to sit beside the Solti.

One of the problems with the great operas: one recording seldom (if ever) suffices. I am ashamed to say that I have multiple recordings Parsifal, Die Meistersinger, Butterfly, Otello, Aida, Don Giovanni and Figaro (the peaks of the repertoire for me) and that I will doubtless get more.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I can't listen to opera since Pavarotti died!
    Me, either. Also: before he died.

I am not much of an opera fan. I made it through Wagner's Ring once (DVD) and hope to again (blu-ray someday). I rarely listen to opera CD's (though I sell quite a few on Amazon)...but there is one that I did make it all the way through and thorough enjoyed: Emil Nikolaus von Reznicek's Ritter Blaubart (Knight Bluebeard) - a fairy-tale opera in 3 acts. The version on CPO is very well done (see Youtube link below) and very reasonably priced (under $15 delivered last I checked). Reznicek interweaves very dramatic orchestral music a la Wagner.

Peter

I haven't had a chance to give this one a decent listening to yet, but it looks interesting:

For anyone interested in exploring the Ring, this guide to motifs is really essential. It provides a superb intriduction and is fascinating even for more experienced listeners. It uses the Solti recording for its examples:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wagner-Intro...s=deryck+cooke

Well...all you really need to know about The Ring, presented in a far more entertaining form:

The other recordings I like are Bernard Haitink with Bayerischer Rundfunk, Levine with the Met, and the new Asher Fisch/Seattle. I don't know the Goodall, but I'll add it to the list!