Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tool Tour

I'm still excited at the prospect of new music from them. Every album that they have made, is of a high quality, to these ears. That little slice could be unrecognizable, by the time it gets recorded, so no need to judge, just yet. Fuck, I heard on an interview given in 2014 by Adam Jones, that they have been dealing with a law suit for seven years now. I'm sure that they are frustrated too, just like a lot of the fans, at how long it is taking to get new music out.

neil

Adam or Danny (i forget) also said they're going to lengths to push the envelope again which is nice...to me 10K was them resting on their laurels after the alleged watershed statement of Lateralus' title track into really interesting (for them at least) territory like Resolution (what i call Disposition-Reflection-Triad). It would be nice for them to be "weird and alienating" again a la AEnima.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 11-20-2015 at 09:43 AM.

^^No argument there. A lot of people like Lateralus, but AEnima is absolutely my favourite. I liked Undertow, but AEnima blew me away. Such a winding sonic, emotional, mental journey, just dripping with atmosphere and angst, and to this day I don't think that I have played any other CD as many times. Fucking brilliant.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Never seen this band LIVE so if they pass through ATL, I think I'll give them a go....thx 4 posting.
    So, I just saw that Tool WILL be in ATL on JAN 25th.......AND, just read that STEVE HACKETT will be here on APR 17th...2016 looks like it will be off to a good start.

I guess I should go the Charlotte show but, man, I do hate arena shows. A little Leary of the audience, too. I saw Primus in town this summer and had to stand in the back to avoid the moshers and pushers and just plain ass hatters.

But it is Tool, and it's a ten buck cab ride from my house. Anyone want to convince me to go?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I guess I should go the Charlotte show but, man, I do hate arena shows. A little Leary of the audience, too. I saw Primus in town this summer and had to stand in the back to avoid the moshers and pushers and just plain ass hatters.

But it is Tool, and it's a ten buck cab ride from my house. Anyone want to convince me to go?
    It's a smaller arena, only holds about 9000 or so. If you get seats, there's a less likely chance of moshers or pushers like there would be on the floor. Not to mention probably have a better view of the stage from the seats. Also, last time Tool played in NC was 7 years ago.

I've got Gen Adm seated tickets for the Charlotte show. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Saw Tool on their last full album tour. I felt a little bit old, but there were a few other oldies like me scattered here and there and everyone was cool. Pretty much felt the same way about Primus when I saw them last fall.

Updated with new dates-
    Jan. 9 – San Diego, Calif., Viejas Arena
    Jan. 10 – San Diego, Calif., Viejas Arena
    Jan. 13 – San Antonio, Texas, AT&T Center
    Jan. 14 – Houston, Texas, Toyota Center
    Jan. 16 – Tulsa, Okla., BOK Center
    Jan. 17 – Grand Prairie, Texas, Verizon Theatre @ Grand Prairie
    Jan. 19 – Southaven, Miss., Landers Center
    Jan. 20 – Kansas City, Mo., Sprint Center
    Jan. 22 – St. Louis, Mo., Chaifetz Center
    Jan. 23 – Nashville, Tenn., Bridgestone Arena
    Jan. 25 – Duluth, Ga., Infinite Energy Center
    Jan. 26 – Charlotte, N.C., Bojangles’ Coliseum
    Jan. 31 – New Orleans, La., Smoothie King Center
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I just saw Puscifer a week ago and now Tool on Jan. 20th. Awesome!

The Tool show last night was great. I have to say Primus was in top form too.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Personally I've never seen Primus phone in a show. Always great.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Any new music played or any mention of a new album?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Personally I've never seen Primus phone in a show. Always great.
    Yeah, that was the third time I've seen them and I agree. They were much 'jammier' than I've seen them in the past. Granted the last time I saw them was almost 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    Any new music played or any mention of a new album?
    They (by they I mean Adam, Justin, & Danny) played an instrumental segment of a new song. It wasn't anything ground-breaking, but it was a good riff.

As an aside, prog trivia obsessives like myself might be interested to know that Tool's webmaster, Blair Blake, is the same Blair Blake who was the keyboardisr/lyricist on the obscure prog classic by Surprise, "Assault On Merryland".

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    As an aside, prog trivia obsessives like myself might be interested to know that Tool's webmaster, Blair Blake, is the same Blair Blake who was the keyboardisr/lyricist on the obscure prog classic by Surprise, "Assault On Merryland".
    When i was huge on this band i often wanted him to join, even help MJK write more interesting lyrics.

As it stands the, at large, corporation that Tool has become has them laughing all the way to the bank and they won't really be making nor be taking any leaps and bounds with their sound which is ironic given Lateralus' (the song's) lyrics...now i'd love to be proven wrong, but i somehow don't see it happening re arena rock status...i'm still a fan, but the "true fans" are rabid lunatics who will fight you to the death if you say anything even mildly disparaging about them.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 01-21-2016 at 11:17 PM.

I saw them in 2001 with King Crimson opening. Great sets by both bands, it was especially cool to see Danny Carey creep on stage and take over from Pat M. on Frame by Frame. I liked Carey's playing better.

I'd gladly go see Tool again once a new album comes out.
    ...or you could love

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
    I saw them in 2001 with King Crimson opening. Great sets by both bands, it was especially cool to see Danny Carey creep on stage and take over from Pat M. on Frame by Frame. I liked Carey's playing better.
    I caught them on that tour as well. I have a sneaking suspicion Fripp is a big Danny Carey fan as well. In fact, I've been half expecting at some point for Fripp to call him up and famously ask, "So, you think you're ready for King Crimson now, do you?"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.