Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P.F.M. in Los Angeles Nov 13 2015

P.F.M. in Los Angeles Nov 13 2015

I just saw this P.F.M. is playing the Whiskey A Go Go this Friday night Nov 13. Its weird, I didn't see anything about this anywhere. This should be good, this is a small place.

No Franco, No Premoli, NO PFM! Sorry, I am sure it will be good but not the same. Just a façade although an entertaining one I am sure!

So can anyone tell me what the new PFM is like? What should I check out? I have tix for NYC, and quite honestly, don't know much about their current work or lineup.

Flavio Premoli (keyboards) left the band years ago, Franco Mussida (guitars, vocals) left this year. Right now the only "old school" guys in the band are Franz Di Cioccio (vocals, drums) and Patrick Djivas (bass). Don't know who they replaces the missing ones with but I think it's not worth to spend money for going to see them.
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

^^^too late, bought the ticket months ago...should have looked into them a little deeper for their current lineup etc. I'm missing Nik Turner and just turned down tix for Stevie Wonder that night...they better be effing fantastic! Oh well..

With PFM I'm like a lot of those casual Yes fans, who don't really care who is or is not in the band. As long as its a bunch of guys who look Italian and can bring it, I'm good...

@gpeccary Even with only 2 guys there from the classic 70s golden era I don't think you'll have cause to regret. I haven't seen them live in a few years but they've never not delivered. I understand they have a highly regarded replacement guitarist.

Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiata_Forneria_Marconi

Here's a link to an excellent 2010 concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCS3oKPrfM

Wow, I missed that they were playing here in L.A.. They haven't been here since 1977, when I went to two fantastic shows, and for years since I've been dying to see them again. But now that both Premoli and Mussida are gone, I know longer have any interest. Kind of the way I've felt about YES, with no Anderson, Wakeman and now Squire. I choose to remember both great bands from their glory days.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

I would go Friday night but the PFM gig conflicts with my son Ian's first concert band gig at Cal State Northridge. I have to support my son. If I could I'd have taken him to see PFM but since the two shows are at the same time it's "sorry PFM".

I've had my NYC tickets for months. Bought them the night UK played the Highline. Bucket list!
    Been a fan since "Chocolate Kings".
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by sdavmor View Post
    @gpeccary Even with only 2 guys there from the classic 70s golden era I don't think you'll have cause to regret. I haven't seen them live in a few years but they've never not delivered. I understand they have a highly regarded replacement guitarist.

Wiki page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premiata_Forneria_Marconi

Here's a link to an excellent 2010 concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itCS3oKPrfM
    Yeah thanks for the comments. I actually did watch some of that concert from their website, it made me rest easy they'll deliver!

The new guitarist is pretty impressive. Marco Sfogli. His own projects are well worth checking into.

I don't think not being the 'real PFM' is too much a deterrent for me. Great musicians playing incredible music is enough of a draw.

Call it a 'cover band' if you want. It will be one of the best cover bands on the planet.

I'll be there!
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Obscured View Post
    I've had my NYC tickets for months. Bought them the night UK played the Highline. Bucket list!
    Been a fan since "Chocolate Kings".
    Did you ever see and/or were you old enough to be at the American 1977 tour with Bernardo Lanzetti? They played most of Chocolate Kings, but the new album then was Jet Lag, which they also performed along with the older classics. At the time, their energy and musicianship was overwhelming. But now to me the last great hurrah for the band was the live in Japan release in 2002. Maybe not the same now, but if you've never seen them, I still think it will be enjoyable.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    With PFM I'm like a lot of those casual Yes fans, who don't really care who is or is not in the band. As long as its a bunch of guys who look Italian and can bring it, I'm good...
    Really, they don't even need to play! They can just wear sunglasses and wave their hands around a lot, and that's enough.

I'll see them on Cruise to the Edge, so I'll try to report on that. What night is the NYC show?

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Wow, I missed that they were playing here in L.A.. They haven't been here since 1977, when I went to two fantastic shows, and for years since I've been dying to see them again. But now that both Premoli and Mussida are gone, I know longer have any interest. Kind of the way I've felt about YES, with no Anderson, Wakeman and now Squire. I choose to remember both great bands from their glory days.
    Same for me. I'm an originalist plain and simple. For me a band is the sum of it's parts. For me it's trying to replace someone in Crosby, Stills Nash and Young. But I hear Sherwood playing bass for PFM!! lol

The NYC show is the 24th.

I'm always a little bewildered by the P.E. group, on one hand everyone wants more groups to tour, more prog shows, but then when one does they can't support it because its not the group it was 20-30-40 years ago. Did anybody ever think it could be something new and even better, there are new and young people in the band, new energy. Or like the man said, just a super cover band.

When I saw Carl Palmer a couple of years ago, it wasn't ELP, but they did the ELP songs with a great young guitar player, it was different, it was great. Or years back I saw Asia before the reunion of the originals, there again it was different, it was great, another great guitar player who would go on to form the Aristocrats. Open your minds.

Quote Originally Posted by AncientChord View Post
    Did you ever see and/or were you old enough to be at the American 1977 tour with Bernardo Lanzetti? They played most of Chocolate Kings, but the new album then was Jet Lag, which they also performed along with the older classics. At the time, their energy and musicianship was overwhelming. But now to me the last great hurrah for the band was the live in Japan release in 2002. Maybe not the same now, but if you've never seen them, I still think it will be enjoyable.
    I put bucket list in my post which would mean I've never seen them. Did not know they played NY or any east coast venues in '77 but info back then, especially for "next tier" prog bands was limited at best. Had limited funds back then too as my money went to Floyd, Yes, ELP & Tull shows so prolly wouldn't have made a PFM gig; missed Gentle Giant that year too and still kicking myself. I do have the live disc with the "Live Anni" set from the tour....great stuff. I expect nothing less from them next week. There are numerous videos on youtube from recent 2015 concerts as well as the entire cruise show from last year confirming how good they still are.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Surfink View Post
    I'm always a little bewildered by the P.E. group, on one hand everyone wants more groups to tour, more prog shows, but then when one does they can't support it because its not the group it was 20-30-40 years ago. Did anybody ever think it could be something new and even better, there are new and young people in the band, new energy. Or like the man said, just a super cover band.

Open your minds.
    Maybe I'm not open minded to you...BUT...

I'm really not interested in paying $75 to see a cover band. If I had done my research into PFM, I may have opted out seeing the majority of the band is new. I'd rather go see Nik Turner or Stevie Wonder that night, truthfully. But I DID go to PFMs website and review some more recent work and vids, and I'm still in. So not totally with a closed mind. It's just a personal rub, the classic band is the band as it was when I came into them. Just my personal view. I saw Emerson when he toured, and he didn't tour as ELP. It was fabulous. If he did with two other guys with last names beginning with L and P, sorry, no go. My buddy just told me Iron Butterfly is touring, with NO original members...cover band, not interested.

You should go and see them if you have the chance. They are still a fantastic live band.

Marco Sfogli is a great guitarist and played with guys like James LaBrie, Jordan Rudess and Virgel Donati before.

And Nik Turner is also just his own Hawkwind cover band.....

Hey would you all have been like "no more Banks, no more Kaye, Yes are just a cover band" in the 70s?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Seeing them in Montreal on 11/22. Haven't seen any iteration since the Friday pre-Nearfest gig, which smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    Same for me. I'm an originalist plain and simple. For me a band is the sum of it's parts. For me it's trying to replace someone in Crosby, Stills Nash and Young. But I hear Sherwood playing bass for PFM!! lol

So then no,

YES without Tony Kaye, Bill Bruford, Peter Banks.

Genesis without John Mayhew and Ant Phillips.

Camel without Pete Bardens, Andy Ward, Colin Bass.

Just trying to gauge where your being an originalist starts and ends.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Not to nit-pick, but Colin Bass was not an "original" member of Camel. But your point is well-taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    Hey would you all have been like "no more Banks, no more Kaye, Yes are just a cover band" in the 70s?
    There was never that talk before. When it was announced Jon & Rick were no longer in the band in June of 1980, 4 months after tickets for the September shows had already sold-out, no one I knew or came across ever said "This is/was not Yes."
    There was some concern and discension, but nothing like now, here. Most every band had numerous personnel changes by 1980. They were stll Yes, Genesis, Moody Blues etc. All that mattered was if they sounded good.

Now that still holds water for me. Now, we may never get the chance to see some of these bands again. If they choose to and have the legal right to call themselves (insert name) then so be it. If one chooses to not see (insert name) then so be it. Just don't tell me they're not (insert name) anymore.

Just got home from the show. All I can say is, it was extremely good.

Whether you call them PFM or not, what I witnessed was world class muicians playing some of the best prog ever written.

I would have been really pissed at myself if I skipped that performance on a 'technicality'.