Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: APB - Better Late Than Never

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

APB - Better Late Than Never

Thought this release might deserve a thread unentangled by its pre-release issues.

Picked this up at Newbury Comics yesterday for $15. I had campled no camples.

First impressions from last night's listen and today's commute very favorable, with the exception of the reggae TaaW. The playing and arrangements are lovely. Jon's voice is showing his age but is as expressive as ever. I enjoyed the versions of the other Yes material, as well as the addition of lyrics to the JLP tunes. Sound is superb to these admittedly aging ears.

I haven't watched the DVD yet so can't comment, but I'm really enjoying the great majority of this collaboration. Et vous? (getting ready to head up to Montreal for 3 Friends)

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought one of the highlights of the DVD was Browne's bass solo that leads into Roundabout, but they left that off the CD. Even though they're the same performances, the CD has all of the live produced out of it.

Thought this thread was about the Scottish "new wave-punk" band APB ...One can only wish...But definitely digging what I've heard in clips so far..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    So is there a non-bootleg one for sale to the general public now?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    So is there a non-bootleg one for sale to the general public now?
    Yes, CD alone or CD+DVD.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Once I was able to ditch those nasty sounding mp3s they first sent out the album sounded much better to me and I was able to get into it more. It's not gonna be a timeless classic and I feel like there are some missed opportunities, but it is ultimately a pretty darned listenable album.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    it is ultimately a pretty darned listenable album.
    At the end of the day, this is all anyone could ask for.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Agreed about Time and A Word. Jon doesn't do reggae very well. Musically, TaaW is OK. I like it slightly better now that I've heard it a few times but Anderson and reggae doesn't really do it for me. Everything else is really quite good. I didn't expect much and have been pleasantly surprised at how good this is.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I bought it from Laser Edge - still waiting for it to arrive - only to see if I should go see them in November when they stop in Toronto. Looks like the initial reviews are quite favorite.

Artimus Pyle Band?

All-Points Bulletin
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

A Pile of Bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    Thought this thread was about the Scottish "new wave-punk" band APB ...One can only wish...But definitely digging what I've heard in clips so far..
    holy cow! there's another Progger who knows about that 80s band?!?!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I love the cd after only one listen. I just watched the dvd and it was awesome. The music is the same as the cd except you don't get I See You Messenger-New New World. The editing and special fx are no doubt going to be an acquired taste. It is weird to watch Jamie Dunlap playing guitar while knowing you are hearing Jamie Glaser though. The closing credits has some great footage of Jon and Jean Luc and Janie Anderson and she is always lovely to look at. The music during that is Re-Remembering Molecules and it flat out kicks ass. For only 2 chords Am and D they get a lot done there. Too bad that isn't on the cd,but maybe it will be on the next one. I hope they play it when we see them on November 18th. Better Late Than Never was well worth the wait in every way. I think it and the tour are going to do very well.
    Last edited by Rand Kelly; 10-01-2015 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Artimus Pyle Band?
    Aw, you beat me to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I love the cd after only one listen. I just watched the dvd and it was awesome. The music is the same as the cd except you don't get I See You Messenger-New New World. The editing and special fx are no doubt going to be an acquired taste. It is weird to watch Jamie Dunlap playing guitar while knowing you are hearing Jamie Glaser though. The closing credits has some great footage of Jon and Jean Luc and Janie Anderson and she is always lovely to look at. The music during that is Re-Remembering Molecules and it flat out kicks ass. For only 2 chords Am and D they get a lot done there. Too bad that isn't on the cd,but maybe it will be on the next one. I hope they play it when we see them on November 18th. Better Late Than Never was well worth the wait in every way. I think it and the tour are going to do very well.
    Get It!

Rand, are you quoting yourself and responding to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Rand, are you quoting yourself and responding to it?
    I messed up and didn't want to re-write it.

I think it is a nice effort. OOALH I could do without. I am looking forward to hearing them on November 12.

Quote Originally Posted by freddo7 View Post
    I think it is a nice effort. OOALH I could do without. I am looking forward to hearing them on November 12.
    I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed that arrangement. Had a pretty cool vibe going on.

Quote Originally Posted by freddo7 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed that arrangement. Had a pretty cool vibe going on.
    I heard this one on the radio and was pleasantly surprised.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Mstove View Post
    I found it too similar to the original. They pretty much play it straight with some violin added.

I'd say that so far, the main impact this album has had on me is to make an earworm out of Ponty's Stay With Me.

Ha, my joke video from last year has over 5000 views.
    Last edited by Dave (in MA); 10-02-2015 at 04:18 PM.

This new DVD is actually pretty groovy. If nothing else it's cool to see JLP's band in action playing some of his classics. Can't recall the last time he did a live DVD. Jon is in fine voice and meshes pretty well with JLP's classics. The Yesstuff is ok too (some tunes more than others), though JLP's tunes are the draw for me.

While I was a supporter of Yes sans Jon A watching this the thought "how can Yes exist at this point without JA with them?" kept crossing my mind- he's sounding that good. And I was totally cool with him not being there but it's like an experiment that came back with diminishing returns as the years went by, all while the curiosity of what they would do without him diminished. JA with JLP seems like an odd compromise too, but the band is kickin' and firing on all cylinders in a way Yes hasn't since the early 90s. So even if he was back with them you wouldn't get a live show with this much precision and ENERGY. So let it be I guess and enjoy this DVD and upcoming tour.
    Last edited by Sean; 10-03-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    If nothing else it's cool to see JLP's band in action playing some of his classics. Can't recall the last time he did a live DVD.
    Live at Montreux 1994 with DiMeola and Clarke came out about 10 years ago, and In Concert with his African band was from 2003.
    When he played with Clarke and Fleck in 2005 they announced at the show I attended that there'd be a live DVD from the tour, but nothing's been released.

so, no live DVDs from the classic era of Imaginary Voyage?

bummer
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?