Thread: Conde Nast-Must see Record Stores

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar

Conde Nast-Must see Record Stores

"Alienated-so alien I go!"

I find it sad that none of these stores are in the U.S.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I thought one was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me a must-see record store is one that caters to all genres of music (rock, jazz, classical, etc) and all formats (lps, CD's...maybe cassettes), with a wide selection of bargain-priced and collectibles.
    Biggest collection of Hip-Hop(?) in Finland??? Get real.

To me, nothing has yet to beat the Princeton Record Exchange - but I'll grant that I have yet to visit the two 'biggies' on the West Coast (Amoeba and Rasputin's?).

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    I find it sad that none of these stores are in the U.S.
    There's a Rough Trade in Brooklyn. I have no idea if it's as good as the original, but I doubt it. If it is, then this list is pretty effed up, because Rasputin's and Ameoba blow it away.

Rough Trade is just a hipster haunt now, there's one in East London too, you can find some decent and interesting leftfield releases, but it's fairly pricey and only stocks what they seem to be on the cool spectrum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    I thought one was
    Oops. My bad. Last time I checked Seattle was in the U.S.

I was hoping Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey would have made the list.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Kind if surprised Amoeba Hollywood didn't make it.

Huge new and used rock sections, CD and vinyl. Mainstream and obscure.

Huge 'underground' metal section, which includes many prog-metal bands, as well as other styles.

A room filled with new and used (vinyl and CD) classical, jazz, experimental, comedy and soundtracks, that is several times larger than most entire record stores.

Many hard to find genres, records, collectors items, from all over the world.

And some pretty fun live music performances every week.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    To me, nothing has yet to beat the Princeton Record Exchange - but I'll grant that I have yet to visit the two 'biggies' on the West Coast (Amoeba and Rasputin's?).

Peter
    I spent MANY An HOUR...and MANY of $$$$ in the Princeton RE...another great one in NJ was Vintage Vinyl (not sure if it still exists)

I've been to 12 Tonar in Iceland. Lots of good stuff, but expensive and mostly new CDs. Lucky Records, also in Reykjavik, is much bigger and better if it's used vinyl your looking for. Prices at Lucky are in line with what you'd find at used record stores in the Boston area, and they have a lot of obscure American LPs.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Oops. My bad. Last time I checked Seattle was in the U.S.

I was hoping Vintage Vinyl in New Jersey would have made the list.
    it's an honest mistake because-well, you know-it's Seattle. We sort of think of it as another country too.

Remember a year or two ago a PE member went to Japan and posted photos of the inside of a store with an ENTIRE floor devoted to prog and the like? Now that's a record store...