Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: King Crimson Summer '15 Tour SPOILER Thread

Yes, he sang the original lyrics on the first night of the tour in Aylesbury too, MarKco.

Quote Originally Posted by MarKco View Post
    ..... since we all know Jakko likes his voice to be heavily reverbered (maybe because he knows he's no Greg Lake, let's face it).....
    I was hugely impressed with Jakko's vocals last night, and thought he did admirable work with the classic more song based material, notably Starless, Epitaph and ITCOTKC. I saw that he posted on Facebook earlier about being roundly complemented by two fans who ventured backstage after... A certain Ms K Bush and a Mr P Gabriel

I think Jakko's vocals are one of the few disadvantages of this line-up: he's good, he's really good, he's even better than I expected (on The Letters he gave me goosebumps) but he's very technical and lacks personality. I'm not going to compare him with previous singers, that's not the point: he simply seems to me like he sings in a very "plain" way which doesn't suit much with a lot of the material. He's good with the Boz songs, a little less on the Lake-side because he struggles to get the notes and then cannot be so dynamic (so it seemed to me), worse on Wetton ones. And thank god TLev backs him up often. Let's face it, he suits for the Scarcity-of-miracles-like songs, with very slow and mellow melodies. And also there, in my opinion, it gets fairly boring.

Just to show that I'm not negative, and actually I'm very enthusiast about this line-up and tuesday's gig, I'll say who surprised me, and it was P@t. I've seen him with Crimso three times (2000, 2003, 2015) and he always got better. His confidence with the songs is amazing, he manages to be furious as a beast and precise as hell. Still can't handle tension-release much, but this is what Rieflin and Harrison master in, so with the three drummers we get a very very good balance: the furious, the quick-and-unpredictable, and the wizard. Listening to Orpheum I didn't understand how much Mastelotto was doing, many things I thought was Harrison are actually handled by P@t. Which is good, and amazed me :-)
    Last edited by MarKco; 09-09-2015 at 09:53 AM. Reason: want to be more positive :-)
    http://www.marcozanetti.it

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose
    solo quando si allontanano.
    (Baolian, libro dei pensieri Baol, I, vv. 1240-1242)

i still find Jakko to be the best response of having Sylvian in the band vocally.

The feeling I got was that of a mix-up of all the Crimso feelings of the past, or at least this seemed to be the purpose.
    MarKco--thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. Kinda surprised to see KC going back to the interlocking rhythms. With the focus on earlier material, I half expected the new material to be a heavier version of Scarcity material with some of the bombast of the early, mellotron-driven songs.

Actually, seeing the group in 2014, the way they performed "The Light of Day" live seemed to fit right alongside the Islands material, perhaps more than anything else juxtaposed in the set. I'm looking forward to USA II's versions of that track and "Scarcity," if they're included, as they gained a lot of heft compared to the album versions, which I couldn't really get into (the only Crimson album from which I couldn't find something to absolutely love). I actually enjoyed them to the point that seeing those two tracks not showing up in the current setlists is really the only thing I could hold over the current audience's heads--"Yeah, well you may get 'Easy Money' and 'Epitaph,' but I got to see two amazingly reinvented tracks that may never get played again." It's immature, I know, but really the only thing keeping my jealousy at bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    Suitable Grounds For The Blues (the new one which wasn't included in the set he heard) does indeed sound superficially like a twelve-bar blues, at least as far as the basic chord progression goes.
    Thanks 2000jw! Crimson, for a band who, from the beginning, claimed they refused to play blues licks when soloing, have used the 12 bars blues structure an awful lot. Of course, it's seems almost always to be tongue in cheek, twisting it to be unrecognizable, just to show they can and that they'll trick you while doing it. There's "ProzaKc Blues" and "Potato Pie," of course, but even "Level 5" plays with the form in the main riff. So as much as I don't really need a new "ProzaKc Blues," I'm on board if they mix it up enough. Still, "Meltdown" has piqued my interest more. After hearing "Separation" from the 2014 tour box, I was hoping that might be a new direction for the band, but was doubtful as it seemed a sort of abandoned route from several years passed (a couple of minutes of material that seemed completely incongruous with anything else the group were focusing on while creating Scarcity), but maybe to Fripp and Jakko it felt like the natural next progression, one worth saving for another project that's now become the 7-piece Krim!

I'm definitely not opposed to a new album that's a little bit Power to Believe, a bit Islands, a hint of Discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by cjamesbye View Post

I'm definitely not opposed to a new album that's a little bit Power to Believe, a bit Islands, a hint of Discipline.
    I would love that.

Thanks 2000jw! Crimson, for a band who, from the beginning, claimed they refused to play blues licks when soloing, have used the 12 bars blues structure an awful lot. Of course, it's seems almost always to be tongue in cheek, twisting it to be unrecognizable, just to show they can and that they'll trick you while doing it. There's "ProzaKc Blues" and "Potato Pie," of course, but even "Level 5" plays with the form in the main riff. So as much as I don't really need a new "ProzaKc Blues," I'm on board if they mix it up enough. Still, "Meltdown" has piqued my interest more. After hearing "Separation" from the 2014 tour box, I was hoping that might be a new direction for the band, but was doubtful as it seemed a sort of abandoned route from several years passed (a couple of minutes of material that seemed completely incongruous with anything else the group were focusing on while creating Scarcity), but maybe to Fripp and Jakko it felt like the natural next progression, one worth saving for another project that's now become the 7-piece Krim!

Yeah, i thought Separation was where they'd head next too...but even that has similarities to sections in Facts of Life, IIRC.

MarKco--thank you! This is exactly what I've been looking for. Kinda surprised to see KC going back to the interlocking rhythms. With the focus on earlier material, I half expected the new material to be a heavier version of Scarcity material with some of the bombast of the early, mellotron-driven songs.

Actually, seeing the group in 2014, the way they performed "The Light of Day" live seemed to fit right alongside the Islands material, perhaps more than anything else juxtaposed in the set. I'm looking forward to USA II's versions of that track and "Scarcity," if they're included, as they gained a lot of heft compared to the album versions, which I couldn't really get into (the only Crimson album from which I couldn't find something to absolutely love). I actually enjoyed them to the point that seeing those two tracks not showing up in the current setlists is really the only thing I could hold over the current audience's heads--"Yeah, well you may get 'Easy Money' and 'Epitaph,' but I got to see two amazingly reinvented tracks that may never get played again." It's immature, I know, but really the only thing keeping my jealousy at bay.
    Aside from Fripp's takes on soloing within Light of Day, which at times were garishly over the top or bizarrely and disparately loud, i felt both songs were pretty much just like the album versions...or the take with bass and drums is what i prefer which didn't exactly happen...i DO like the airy SPACE and communicative almost free-jazzy approach though; something Crimson rarely touched upon since Moonchild.

I think Jakko's vocals are one of the few disadvantages of this line-up: he's good, he's really good, he's even better than I expected (on The Letters he gave me goosebumps) but he's very technical and lacks personality. I'm not going to compare him with previous singers, that's not the point: he simply seems to me like he sings in a very "plain" way which doesn't suit much with a lot of the material.
    I'd say it's not even his singing so much as his voice. He just doesn't naturally have a lot of power or range. He does what he can with the voice he's got, and to often impressive results, but there's just a certain range he's suited to. (I wish they'd rethink the no-Belew-vox guideline, just because he'd be good for the ballads like "Eyes Wide Open" as much as the 70s material, if not more so.)

Crimson ... have used the 12 bars blues structure an awful lot. Of course, it's seems almost always to be tongue in cheek, twisting it to be unrecognizable, just to show they can and that they'll trick you while doing it. There's "ProzaKc Blues" and "Potato Pie," of course, but even "Level 5" plays with the form in the main riff.
    "Three of a Perfect Pair" is a 1-4-5 also. Took me ages to even realize it.

The 2015 Tour Box is available to order from Inner Knot.

I think what's most similar to the new pieces I heard is "Separation", from the previous year box. This is a Scarcity of miracles song but, unlike the others, it seems to me not much like a "two-guitars-and-a-sax-song-with-overdubbed-bass-and-drums". The undergoing line is pure Crimso but the vocals is very Jakko-style. This is the feeling I got when I heard Meltdown live last tuesday. Albeit Meltdown was largely more complicated and took much advantage of the three-headed-drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czt5bYkCspw

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

I think what's most similar to the new pieces I heard is "Separation", from the previous year box. This is a Scarcity of miracles song but, unlike the others, it seems to me not much like a "two-guitars-and-a-sax-song-with-overdubbed-bass-and-drums". The undergoing line is pure Crimso but the vocals is very Jakko-style. This is the feeling I got when I heard Meltdown live last tuesday. Albeit Meltdown was largely more complicated and took much advantage of the three-headed-drumming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czt5bYkCspw
    Big fan of this one.

most similar to the new pieces I heard is "Separation", from the previous year box.
    Now this is Very Good News.

A great review of the Hackney 9/7th show: http://echoesanddust.com/2015/09/liv...mber-7th-2015/

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Judging from all said, the three new tracks either did not stand out due to complete unfamiliarity, or were no great shakes... I'm guessing studio versions (if there will be any) of the three new "songs" will distill them into formidable additions to the Crimson catalogue. Was there any vocals in these new ones?
    Still alive and well...

^ I have heard so far that there are vocals, but I didn't attend the shows, so...

Meltdown has vocals. The other two don't.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 5 utilizzando Tapatalk

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Meltdown has vocals. The other two don't.
    Apart, that is, from Suitable Grounds For The Blues, which does (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to identify it at all).

I don't know whether these new tunes will end up on a studio album, or whether one's in the offing. David Singleton said that Fripp had formed this band primarily as a touring unit because - somewhat to the surprise of everyone (including RF) - he wanted to play KC material live again. What happens next is anyone's guess, I guess.

Has RF addressed the masses at any point during the shows so far?

As far as I know, he never spoke a work to the audience. Nobody did, as far as I've been told.

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Quote Originally Posted by 2000jw View Post
    Apart, that is, from Suitable Grounds For The Blues, which does (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to identify it at all).

I don't know whether these new tunes will end up on a studio album, or whether one's in the offing. David Singleton said that Fripp had formed this band primarily as a touring unit because - somewhat to the surprise of everyone (including RF) - he wanted to play KC material live again. What happens next is anyone's guess, I guess.
    I didn't know that suitable grounds for the blues had lyrics. Sorry for the mistake

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

There was no in between song chatting at all at the gig in Aylesbury I went too. Based on hearing Fripp chatting up the ladies on the Nightwatch CD, a good thing that is too.

I always wondered what he's saying in that snippet. What does it say?

Triste è l'uomo
    che ama le cose

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Has RF addressed the masses at any point during the shows so far?
    Not one word was uttered by anybody in London, but it still felt like there was a strong (unspoken) bond between audience and band, there was much waving, but perhaps that was to family members or the musical greats that sat above us.