Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Prog Album

Mine would be The Mass in F Minor by the Electric Prunes, if that can be considered prog by any stretch of the imagination. Got it when it first came out in 1968. Other than that it would be Days of Future Passed by the Moodies, which I also bought in 1968. That started the prog hunt for me.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Queen - A Night at the Opera or Rainbow - On Stage

TLLDOB after seeing them (Genesis) live in Annecy, France in March 1975.

Ed

I think Kayak, either s/t or See see the sun, after seeing them live.

Another one was:
    ELP - Welcome back my friends,.....

After hearing Jerusalem and Karn Evil no 9 in English class.

Rush - Moving Pictures --- I must have been 8 or 9 when it came out. All gravy from there!

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Mine would be The Mass in F Minor by the Electric Prunes, if that can be considered prog by any stretch of the imagination. Got it when it first came out in 1968.
    I'd actually say this is one of the absolute first ones in the US. Earlier than Sea Train, Touch, It's a Beautiful Day and Brimstone, more trickily arranged than Vanilla Fudge and the likes.

Been YEARS since I listened to it now, but I particularly remember "Gloria Patria" having a scorching guitar-vs-bass solo middle part. Of course, this and Release of an Oath were both as much the creations of David Axelrod as of the band, which (IIRC) mostly consisted of studio musicians at the time, as opposed to the earlier freakbeat version. Both versions of EP were rather interesting, I think.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

ELP 1

DtB

Surpised to see Uriah Heep, Rainbow considered as prog..that's strange categorization to me....always thought they are hard rock acts..

i would have to say.......revolver

i knew there was something....more....to it

Invisible Touch clearly doesn't count, but it did lead me to subsequently discover Genesis' early work - and then Yes, and then Pink Floyd and then ELP, and then...

Yes Fragile, a birthday present from my sisters, followed by Close To The Edge for xmas. Of course, I was rockin' to the Beatles as a child...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I think of The Yes Album purchased in the early 80's as my first (although I had heard Pink Floyd, and maybe Jethro Tull earlier). I remember for a short time I thought it was their first album, until I read in the Rolling Stone rock encyclopedia about the two albums with Peter Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Surpised to see Uriah Heep, Rainbow considered as prog..that's strange categorization to me....always thought they are hard rock acts..
    After you've been here for a while, you come to understand that Prog is a fancy word for "music."

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Surpised to see Uriah Heep, Rainbow considered as prog..that's strange categorization.
    I never did that either; they were "runners up" in that they belonged to the same time period. That's how Solar Fire became my first "true prog" buy in 1984.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I believe that mine was a used copy of Snow Goose if I recall. Still one of my faves today.
    We are the grandchildren of apes, not angels
    But only we are gifted with the eyes to see
    On days without FEAR, when our heads are clear
    That angels, we could be
    (Marillion 2016)

All the mentions of Queen, Rainbow, etc. ain't prog IMO. If that were the case then Alice Cooper - Killer, would be my first, just for Halo Of Flies. Then Uriah Heep, starting with Magician's Birthday & Demons then LAY, Salisbury, etc.
    In all that mix, however, I bought Yessongs in the spring of '74 & BSS soon after that, so I consider those to be first

FRAGILE---I never heard music like that before---every musician was unique and a standout----including the singer----there were 5 players but I could hear each part individually but it still sounded cohesive---that is what great Yes music is---5 great players doing their thing and sounding original.

Rush - Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures. Soon after, many other Rush records, and then onto Queen, Yes, and by the time I hit King Crimson, it was all over

Asia's debut made me a huge fan of Steve Howe. I was going on about him at a party when a friend said, "you think you like Steve Howe, listen to this!" and played me The Yes Album. I was hooked and never went back.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Christmas 1976 - My older brother gave me a copy of Genesis Live. I was intrigued by the album cover. When I played the LP on my father's turntable at the cottage, nothing. I'm not sure how it happened but a few months later my buddy said he thought I was going to run off the groves on the LP. I loved it. This led me to more Genesis and then Yes, Pink Floyd, and so on.

The Electric Prunes -- 1967.

'80s Genesis and Rush, if they count.

If not, then maybe A Trick of the Tail?

Tormato ... it blew my mind and I never looked back!

The Six Wives of Henry VIII, when it came out. Still have it, still play it!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.