Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Billy Cobham Spectrum 40th Anniversary Tour

Quote Originally Posted by beano View Post
    ..Last show I saw at the Boulton was Eric Johnson, EXCELLENT!!! FYI to beer lovers, TJ Finley's is on the opposite side of the street east of the venue..GREAT selection and the last 2 Fridays I was there they had BOGO free Great South Bay Brewery pints......
    Thanks Beano I wondering if there was a place within walking distance of the venue to grab a couple of cold ones before the show. Where you there between 6 an 8pm how crowded is it at that time?

Definitely there in that time frame(I even started at around 5pm for 1 show, let's just say that I don't remember the set list!!! It has never been that crowded, I've usually gotten a table(decent $5 Happy Hour menu, the tenders are great) Last time I was there I sat at the bar, and at 6pm Captain Lawrence Brewery(Elmsford, NY now?) showed up and they had about 6-7 of their beers for $5 also...Parking is a snap behind the theater in the municipal lot..They do serve beer and wine, candy/chips, etc at the venue. But back to the beer, probably one of the best beer bars on Long Island.(Pony Bar(s) in NYC being my favorite in the region..I usually try to wear a NF/Rosfest tee when I go to shows, if you see one stop and say Hello!!!

Saw the early show in Boston and it was great, lots of energy in the band, Cobham's a master. I was expecting he and Goodman to be the highlights but Dean Brown blew me away-- tasty and fluid one minute, all over the fretbard the next. One caveat though: "Spectrum 40" is the name of the band, so this is not really a Spectrum tour-- He did a couple of pieces from the album (I recognized Stratus and Red Baron) but didn't do its harder rocking numbers, and otherwise picked from different parts of his catalogue. I dont know his albums that well, but it was all solid.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Saw the early show in Boston and it was great, lots of energy in the band, Cobham's a master. I was expecting he and Goodman to be the highlights but Dean Brown blew me away-- tasty and fluid one minute, all over the fretbard the next. One caveat though: "Spectrum 40" is the name of the band, so this is not really a Spectrum tour-- He did a couple of pieces from the album (I recognized Stratus and Red Baron) but didn't do its harder rocking numbers, and otherwise picked from different parts of his catalogue. I dont know his albums that well, but it was all solid.
    It was the same for his 30th Spectrum tour, a few songs from the album. I was a bit disappointed, but it was still excellent. Looking forward to it in a week + in Oakland.

Lino
    ha. glad I stumbled on to this just in time. Tomorrow night at The Tralf in Buffalo. Now to assemble a crack team of last moment concert goers to accompany me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    ha. Now to assemble a crack team of last moment concert goers to accompany me.
    One of my difficulties Lino, English Beat in town next week, Steven Wilson in April among others, and not a damn person to attend these with.

Lino
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    One of my difficulties Lino, English Beat in town next week, Steven Wilson in April among others, and not a damn person to attend these with.
    That IS a bummer. Fortunately, it rarely happens to me, but last year I missed the Steve Wilson tour because none of my friends wanted to go. Driving an hour+ in to the big city on your own is tough...driving back home alone late at night is even tougher lol. About a week after the show, i find out some guy in another branch office went to Wilson and was all like "man you could have come with us!" Oh well.
    Worse comes to worse...I could always take my wife. She loves jazz.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I go to concerts on my own when I can't round anyone up. I always know when I'll be departing and can find a better general admission seat on my own.

Great show last night at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA. It was a good, responsive crowd, maybe not entirely sold out (500+), but still a good crowd. It looked to me like all the guys on stage were enjoying themselves, and each one got to solo several times throughout the night. Billy seemed to have even more energy than at other shows over the last 10 years when I've seen him. They did autographs afterward, and Billy and Jerry got a kick out of the irreplaceable MO poster I have from a show on March 30, 1973. The poster shows the ticket prices ($4-$5), and Billy made a crack about "no one cared about seeing that band back then." I've gotten to know Gary Husband a little bit over recent years, and he was as gracious as ever. I think this band is really hot, including Ric F. on bass, with whom I was previously unacquainted.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Was anyone at the show at BB King's? If so, how was it. I read a review of a show from last year in the UK in Prog magazine that really raved about the band's performance (maybe a somewhat different band then), so I'm now bummed I missed this show!

Tomorrow: Front row seats, 2/5 of Mahavishnu, great YouTube clips so far of previous shows, easy parking, nice Asian restaurant on the corner, change to a minimal snow forecast, ride home is 15 minutes, and it's payday!!!!

While looking through some old ticket stubs for a discussion on Bill Bruford concerts I came across a ticket dated
    May 6, 1978 for Billy Cobham with comedian Richard Belzer playing in the student center at the local college I was attending at that time, Nassau Community in Garden City Long Island. As I vaguely recall the event Billy conducted a solo drum clinic and Belzer was telling jokes. Tickets $3 with student ID or $4 for non students. 35 yrs later I'm seeing him again tomorrow night...Reviews have been great so far looking forward to it.

Seeing him Monday night.....guys, give us your impressons of the shows you've seen!

I grabbed two shows off Dime. Both were good but the one in Jim Thorpe, NY was longer than at Buffalo. The sound quality was incredible from JT. This is the setlist from JT:

101-Intro
    102-Moo Shoo Creole Blues
    103-If Animals Had Guns Too
    104-Two Numbers
    105-Intros
    106-Stratus
    201-Tuning
    202-Brick Chicken
    203-Intro
    204-Sphere of Influence
    206207-Quadrant 4
    208-Encore Call
    209-Snoopy's Search-Red Baron

I caught the show at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville last night. Sold Out! That was nice to see. My daughter and I went and we both really enjoyed the show. Though Billy had two extended drum solos, he was far from the star of this show. All five guys put on clinics with their respective instruments, but I thought guitarist Dean Brown stood out as a real highlight - dude can flat out play and is fun to watch. It was great seeing Jerry Goodman out on stage again - I think this is his first tour since that Dregs/Dream Theater tour many years ago - was great to see him back out there soloing and trading licks - we thought he really shined on his electric violin. A terriffic night all around.

Two things that really stood out to me: These guys were having a blast playing together. And Billy's bandmates really seemed as in awe of Billy's solos as the audience was.

Shame this tour is only 11 dates. Probably too much to hope a live album comes out of this.

The one thing I didnt understand - we got there early and were among the first seated in the theater. We watched as one after another, much of the audience kept going to the edge of the stage and taking photographs and videos of Billy's drum set. Not Billy, mind you. Just his drum set. It was like watching people in a museum pointing and gawking and photographing the "exhibit". No offense to any here that do this, I just didnt get it.

"Probably too much to hope a live album comes out of this. "

Just grab one of the many that will be on Dime. This one will probably be up in a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I grabbed two shows off Dime. Both were good but the one in Jim Thorpe, NY was longer than at Buffalo. The sound quality was incredible from JT. This is the setlist from JT:

101-Intro
    102-Moo Shoo Creole Blues
    103-If Animals Had Guns Too
    104-Two Numbers
    105-Intros
    106-Stratus
    201-Tuning
    202-Brick Chicken
    203-Intro
    204-Sphere of Influence
    206207-Quadrant 4
    208-Encore Call
    209-Snoopy's Search-Red Baron
    Thanks, got it!

Great show at the Boulton Center last night. It pretty much mirrored the one reviewed by Dan Roth from a few nights ago. The band was really into it and sounded fantastic. Not to take anything away from Dean Brown he plays great and has a very expressive style but there were a few times where I felt his guitar was a little overpowering compared to the rest of the band. It may have been due to my seat location being so close to the stage. Perhaps I'm being a little picky about the sound that was otherwise fantastic but it was noticeable to me a few times.
    Billy interestingly stated that he chose the band members to represent each decade of his career in which they had previously collaborated with him. With Goodman going back 4 decades, Husband 3, brown 2 and Fierabracci 1.
    For a 68 yr old man he can still amazingly pound those drums... Lots of energy on that stage!!

Saw the late show at Yoshi's last night. Great stuff!
    From where I was, the mix was great, and Dean did not overpower. I would have liked to hear slightly more Goodman, but it's a minor quibble. High energy for sure, and great stuff. The Spectrum tracks featured some new arrangments, but not so new as to be un noticable. Man, I thought Stratus was pretty fast!
    Billy brings it, at age 68, no doubt.

Also, nice to see and meet NorCalKurt there at the show--missed introducing myself to him on Saturday at the Starry Plough.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I grabbed two shows off Dime. Both were good but the one in Jim Thorpe, NY was longer than at Buffalo. The sound quality was incredible from JT.
    How is the violin? I was at this show, and after the first piece, I thought Goodman was low in the mix.