Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking Plague tour Texas in January

Well... that was quite a show! Went down to San Antonio with my boy last night. Stop Motion Orchestra opened for the mighty TP... they were most excellent! If you haven't heard them they're a great band. Even better live I think. So TP... ya. What can I say. The most humble and polite people you'll ever meet. Pure joy to hear and see them FINALLY. I've been waiting for 20+ years. I was not disappointed. Ok... I wish Mike's guitar was a bit higher in the mix but even still... the man is a mother on guitar! The venue was a super tiny place and the band was packed in real nice. They had to keep Robin (Drums) on a volume check with so little room. haha. Great setlist - lots of new and old - and when I say new - I mean two new pieces and damn they were great!!

The one thing that put a downer on the night was the lack of people. I was really disappointed with the turnout for a city like San Antonio. Not a music hub for the odd stuff for sure... but my son, me and a cool man named Leland. Yup. 3 of us plus the SMO band as well. That was making me mad but I cant complain about having more or less an almost private concert for us. Today in Austin will make up for that hopefully... larger venue and better group of freaks up here.

Here is a nice pic

plague.jpg

Thanks for posting.

wow.

wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Yup. 3 of us
    I will quote this the next time someone complains that 'nothing cool ever happens in xxx' or that I 'should bring a band to xxx'.

There's usually an unfortunate reason why 'nothing cool ever happens in xxx'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Thanks for posting.

wow.

wow.

I will quote this the next time someone complains that 'nothing cool ever happens in xxx' or that I 'should bring a band to xxx'.

There's usually an unfortunate reason why 'nothing cool ever happens in xxx'.

Yes indeed Steve. "Wow" is spot on. On many levels. lol

I was asked how I got into them from a couple of the guys - easy answer... Steve from Wayside! Plenty of nods to you sir. You got me off into the right places at the right time in my life. Thank you for your excellent reviews and recommendations over the last 20+ years.

Oh man. Scheduling prevented me from making the drive down to TX this weekend to see any of these shows. Now I feel bad.

Hopefully the crowd will be bigger for the remaining shows.

I guess this somehow says it all.

Just about *THE* single greatest post-70s progressive band - and sans turnout. Prog lives fer sure.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

The show last night in Austin - HOLY %(#*@$)@$# Ok. I think this one was my favorite show ever. The San Antonio gig was fantastic - and a super small experience with the band - a joy to be at... but last night was a great venue - there was a nice space - nice seats - and the sound was AWESOME. A great group of fans and in general cool people everywhere. You just don't get to see anything like Thinking Plague and having finally seen this band live - I am still freakin out. This week is Plague week! I wish I could have done the trifecta and gone to Dallas tonight too.

The show i saw a couple years back was definitely one of the finest performances I've seen. Kimara on keys just made it all the more special.

So they played two new ones? Not asking for a setlist , but what standout tracks did they play?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seeing them at RIO a couple of years ago was very special for me. I saw them at Cuneifest as well but unfortunately that day Elaine's voice had gone. Still a good gig. Love these guys.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Dallas tonight was top shelf! Great crowd. Great sound. High impact set list. Two encores. Kind of bummed we only got one of the two new songs but it was a rocker. Working title was "The Dissociation" I think. What a shame that one of the best live bands of all time plays out so little.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Some of the ones they played --- Love - Consolamentum - Sleeper Cell Anthem - Dead Silence - Maelstrom - Warheads - Rapture of the Deep - Lycanthrope - two new ones (affectionitly called "Trainwrecks") in San Antonio. haha. I think the new ones we heard sounded tremendously awesome! Cant wait to hear those - especially since they have a nice recording studio for this album.
    Last edited by Phlakaton; 01-11-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Some of the ones they played --- Love - Consolamentum - Sleeper Cell Anthem - Dead Silence - Maelstrom - Warheads - Rapture of the Deep - Lycanthrope - two new ones (affectionitly called "Trainwrecks") in San Antonio. haha. I think the new ones we heard sounded tremendously awesome! Cant wait to hear those - especially since they have a nice recording studio for this album.
    They opened with Behold the Man in Dallas. Also got Gudamy le Mayagut somewhere in the set. The Gyre was one of the encores.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    They opened with Behold the Man in Dallas. Also got Gudamy le Mayagut somewhere in the set. The Gyre was one of the encores.
    Nice. They had been playing Rapture of the Deep in from of Gúdamy le Máyagot (An Phocainn Theard Deig)... like the album. Warheads was our encore in S Antonio. They didnt play that in Austin. Oh well.

Did they play “Colorless Fog That One Day Soon”? That’s a terrific exploration of atmospheres, in a “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” kind of way.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Did they play “Colorless Fog That One Day Soon”? That’s a terrific exploration of atmospheres, in a “Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun” kind of way.
    THAT would have been awesome. Unfortunately no. Sleeper Cell Anthem was a gem to hear. I would have died to hear Thorns of Blue and Red/The War too!
    Last edited by Phlakaton; 01-13-2016 at 03:52 PM.

The one thing that put a downer on the night was the lack of people.... my son, me and a cool man named Leland. Yup. 3 of us.
    Hopefully everybody bought t-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Hopefully everybody bought t-shirts.
    Grabbed shirts and a nice physical copy of the remastered In This Life I have the original but I wanted to support the band as much as I could - it does sound a bit better in some places. Not a huge improvement but very glad I got it.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Grabbed shirts and a nice physical copy of the remastered In This Life I have the original but I wanted to support the band as much as I could - it does sound a bit better in some places. Not a huge improvement but very glad I got it.
    Last time I saw them the largest T they had was an L, I was still tempted
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Ah, thanks for the tip! It's literally a 10 minute walk from my home...

Big, big thanks to Mike Johnson for giving us these three live performances to put up on the Cuneiform YouTube page!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.