Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

A quick check, everything works. yay!
    Microsoft reset some of the privacy settings to their liking.
    One in particular bugs me. Under settings Privacy general there is one about "Send Microsoft info about how I write...." I had set it to off, they turned it back on.
    The tinfoil hat crowd sees this as a keystroke logger, I go along with that.
    Who knows if the on/off switch does anything?
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^
    The tool against this is https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    Very serious German company behind, no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^
    The tool against this is https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
    Very serious German company behind, no worries.
    Thanks, I am giving this a try.
    It looks very comprehensive.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    A quick check, everything works. yay!
    Microsoft reset some of the privacy settings to their liking.
    One in particular bugs me. Under settings Privacy general there is one about "Send Microsoft info about how I write...." I had set it to off, they turned it back on.
    The tinfoil hat crowd sees this as a keystroke logger, I go along with that.
    Who knows if the on/off switch does anything?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were all sorts of backdoors built into Windows.
    <sig out of order>

I've read where Microsoft has now made the W10 upgrade an automatic/preferred install . . . rather than "optional". Make sure your settings in Windows Update are configured to NOT run automatic updates - otherwise you may be in for a big (and lengthy) surprise. Totally surprised they'd do something this major/drastic without user input - and can imagine some class-action lawsuits in this same regard.

I'll try the update on this family laptop over the weekend just to check it out - but my music production machine must remain on W7 Enterprise (64-bit) due to the audio interface (Steinberg UR44) drivers, Ableton Live, Native Instruments Komplete, midi drivers, etc - - - just wayyy too much stuff to risk at this point. I don't think that will give me an upgrade option/path anyways because of that version of the OS . . .

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    I've read where Microsoft has now made the W10 upgrade an automatic/preferred install . . . rather than "optional". Make sure your settings in Windows Update are configured to NOT run automatic updates - otherwise you may be in for a big (and lengthy) surprise. Totally surprised they'd do something this major/drastic without user input - and can imagine some class-action lawsuits in this same regard.

I'll try the update on this family laptop over the weekend just to check it out - but my music production machine must remain on W7 Enterprise (64-bit) due to the audio interface (Steinberg UR44) drivers, Ableton Live, Native Instruments Komplete, midi drivers, etc - - - just wayyy too much stuff to risk at this point. I don't think that will give me an upgrade option/path anyways because of that version of the OS . . .
    Meaning my Windows 7 machine could go to 10 without my consent? Bulls**t !!!! If you have a moment, where is the setting in 7 to turn off auto updates? Is it easy to update manually?

Also ,would Norton stop the update? Im always asked to confirm (allow) installation of updates to adobe etc after DLing the files.

So it seems http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...8-pc-computers

But it says: "Should the user decline the installation of Windows 10 after it has been downloaded the update will not be automatically deleted, meaning it will sit on a user’s computer taking up storage space."

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Meaning my Windows 7 machine could go to 10 without my consent? Bulls**t !!!! If you have a moment, where is the setting in 7 to turn off auto updates? Is it easy to update manually?
    Control Panel -> Windows Updates -> Change Settings
    <sig out of order>

One additional, 'fun' thing about the newer '10'. It will uninstall/disable programs that it claims are incompatible. I had one go away last night.
    Didn't really need it, but I could totally see an 'app' ( hate that ) going away with a suggestion that this one ( from MS, no doubt ) is better.
    -- Aristotle

^
    That is a bit disturbing ! I would like to decide and control myself what programs I use (I hate the term app too).

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...matic-download

Just be careful - - - it could be painful . . .

Totally surprised they'd do something this major/drastic without user input
    Since when has Microsoft ever consulted users? They have historically missed the mark in that regard. Think Vista, or Windows 9.

can imagine some class-action lawsuits in this same regard.
    I don't see that ever happening. Chances are that people agreed to it when they accepted license terms.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I'm not sure if an "Accept and Continue" prompt is actually occurring in an auto-update though, but I may be wrong. They would probably cover their ass somehow in some way, I trust.

I just read where a recent iPhone 6 update will brick the phone if there's any 3rd party work that's been done on the device at all - - - this is scary too.

Well, it you keep that machine offline there's no way for the update to ever creep in.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I just read where a recent iPhone 6 update will brick the phone if there's any 3rd party work that's been done on the device at all - - - this is scary too.
    What do you mean by "third-party work"? Are you referring to service and repair?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Control Panel -> Windows Updates -> Change Settings

There is no Windows Updates in Control Panel on mine. I have 7 . Nosed about a bit and cant find it or settings. I must be missing something.

There is no Windows Updates in Control Panel on mine. I have 7 . Nosed about a bit and cant find it or settings. I must be missing something.
    Go to control panel and in the upper right click on Catagory and pick Small Icons from the drop down
    Windows Update should be the last thing down on the bottom row.
    Open that and Change Settings will be on the left side
    -- Aristotle

Start>control panel>systems and security>windows update>turn automatic updating on or off

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    What do you mean by "third-party work"? Are you referring to service and repair?
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...d-party-repair

Article above - it appears service/repair issues by a non-Apple technician . . . I heard of this through my university, but don't own an iPhone myself!!!

http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...d-party-repair

Article above - it appears service/repair issues by a non-Apple technician . . . I heard of this through my university, but don't own an iPhone myself!!!
    In some respects, it's at least comforting to know that Apple is taking the fingerprint security thing seriously.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Start>control panel>systems and security>windows update>turn automatic updating on or off
    Thanks both mark and moe. I am a pathetic computer person. I choise a "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them" option which sounds like it will work. One would think this issue of unwanted switch to W10 will be over once they start charging for 10.

Thanks both mark and moe. I am a pathetic computer person. I choise a "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them" option which sounds like it will work. One would think this issue of unwanted switch to W10 will be over once they start charging for 10.
    Thanks seconded, and I did the same thing on my desktop where I tried Windows 10 but had to roll it back because of constant crashing that I couldn't resolve.

Bill

One would think this issue of unwanted switch to W10 will be over once they start charging for 10.
    At which point they'll probably stop doing support for all the earlier OSs.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    At which point they'll probably stop doing support for all the earlier OSs.
    MS did promise support for W7 till 2021 IIRC.