Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Phish?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do the experienced think about this upcoming release?
    4/14 is a standard/great 93 show. Well played, high energy, tight musicianship from a hungry band. ANYTHING from August 93 is going to be stellar--it's one of THE GREATEST months in Phish touring history. This is a sleeper show--one of the least known as it's been under-circulated in trading circles and the audience recordings aren't very good. I'm really looking forward to hearing it.
    Suggest you hear as much from Aug 93 you can get your hands on.
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

The most recent album is starting to grow on me a little more. "Miss You" is classic; it sounds like Ween jamming with The Syn.

Been slowly revisiting Phish lately. I was heavily into them back around 1992-1995. I lost track of them after Billy Breathes, but I did just pick up their last 2 (Fuego and Big Boat), and am still absorbing them. The first 4 albums are the ones that really got me into them (along with seeing them live several times), and I think Junta through Hoist have plenty to attract prog rock fans.

Streaming live now- Trey acoustic in MA - http://mixlr.com/easo91/

So far-

Trey Anastasio @ The Academy of Music
    Northampton, MA 3/8/17

Discern
    Farmhouse
    Brian and Robert
    Theme From The Bottom
    The Horse>
    Silent In The Morning
    Frost
    Anything But Me
    Limb By Limb
    Walfredo
    Stealing Time From The Faulty Plan
    All Of These Dreams
    Winterqueen
    Steam
    Heavy Things
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1RDGlRRZoMMxL

Trey in Troy streaming live. So far-

Set Begin 7:45 Ish

Strange Design
    Blaze On
    Mountains In The Mist
    The Wedge
    Shade
    Backwards Down The Numberline
    Twenty Years Later
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Final acoustic show by Trey starting soon. Portsmouth, NH- http://mixlr.com/mrgriffith/

Dick's Labor Day Weekend and several other summer dates announced in addition to MSG Baker's Dozen.

http://phish.com/news/additional-sum...run-announced/

Summer tour starts tonight in Chicago!

Free live stream of tonight's Dayton, Ohio show-

http://webcast.livephish.com/?utm_so...paign=20170717

Watching the above mentioned Dayton show on youtube, great stuff so far. Psyched to be going tomorrow (my b-day) and Wednesday night to the shows at MSG. Should be a blast.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Happy Birthday, Gerhard! Where do you live? I forget.

Happy Birthday, Gerhard! Where do you live? I forget.
    Cary, NC. Flying to Philly, driving up with Richard Schwarz.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Watching the above mentioned Dayton show on youtube, great stuff so far. Psyched to be going tomorrow (my b-day) and Wednesday night to the shows at MSG. Should be a blast.
    I too shall be in the round room tomorrow and Wed. Friday too. Then next Tues, Wed & Funday Final Sunday 8/6. Last night was my first of the run, what energy. Enjoy your b'day shows!
    20170723_202427 (2).jpg
    IMG_7942 (2).jpg

Seeing them tonight. First time...one to scratch off.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Seeing them tonight. First time...one to scratch off.
    Wow, you saw a good one!

I've only seen them once but it was in 89 or 90.

Heard they're debuting new material - how is it?

Also each day from 7/22 - 8/7 Sirius XM will play a whole set (show?) at noon and 9pm on the Jam On channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Marsh View Post
    Wow, you saw a good one!
    Honestly...it had its moments...but what the people were feeling re dancing (except the drugs they were on) was beyond me; i'll give them credit for "grooving" or tweaking in 11/16 over 4/4 or 6/8 though...Trey is easily the best part of this band hands down; the others i felt are pretty replaceable...the jams weren't warranted for half-hour long excursions and when they went off they all pretty much had the same feels. They weren't bad by any means though. At large i don't get the craze though...stupid tricks with the lights too like, "when Trey hits some 8v crescendo turn the white lights on!"..that said too, there was crazy energy in the room and the floor was vibrating.

Honestly...it had its moments...but what the people were feeling re dancing (except the drugs they were on) was beyond me; i'll give them credit for "grooving" or tweaking in 11/16 over 4/4 or 6/8 though...Trey is easily the best part of this band hands down; the others i felt are pretty replaceable...the jams weren't warranted for half-hour long excursions and when they went off they all pretty much had the same feels. They weren't bad by any means though. At large i don't get the craze though...stupid tricks with the lights too like, "when Trey hits some 8v crescendo turn the white lights on!"..that said too, there was crazy energy in the room and the floor was vibrating.
    Not sure you can call it a craze since they've been at it for 30 years or so. And I would say, IMO, NO band's jams warrant 30 min + UNLESS it resonates with you.

But you obviously gave it a chance with an open mind.

Not sure you can call it a craze since they've been at it for 30 years or so. And I would say, IMO, NO band's jams warrant 30 min + UNLESS it resonates with you.

But you obviously gave it a chance with an open mind.
    Yeah, i don't DISLIKE Phish...but i'm not crazy about them either...when they write they write decent, when they jam...i kinda realllly don't want to hear it because they really don't do much that's interesting to me...and i don't even necessarily think they're very good at it...least that night? Who knows.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 07-28-2017 at 02:07 PM.

Based on the ratings at Phish.net, you saw the second-highest rated show in the band's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Based on the ratings at Phish.net, you saw the second-highest rated show in the band's history.
    Phish fans are very loyal to their band.

I have only listened to 30-minute Lawn Boy from that show and it only reinforced my opinion on their post-reunion activity. I recommend anyone wanting to check what is (was) great about the band to give a try to their archival pre-2003 live recordings. Today's Phish (so-called 3.0 version) are worlds apart from their former selves. IMO.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-31-2017 at 10:56 AM.

Then i guess that's saying something with my taste too...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Phish fans are very loyal to their band.
    I don't know what that has to do with anything. All of the shows are being rated by the same loyal fans, and this particular one is a show that they liked significantly more than the other shows that they rated. The other MSG shows in this run weren't rated as high as that particular one; in fact, this is the only post-reunion show to make the top 10. Clearly, there was something about this show in particular that the fans loved.

All of the shows are being rated by the same loyal fans, and this particular one is a show that they liked significantly more than the other shows that they rated.
    Well, there is no shortage of 3.0 shows on the top 100 list (even several 2.0 ones made it too), so in general the fanbase apparently appreciate their contemporary incarnation. And I think it's great that they love it, despite all my reservations. But I can perfectly understand when someone from the outside finds their modern jamming "samey" or uneventful. That's my impression too. And I love the old improvisations from the 1.0 era.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-31-2017 at 01:11 PM.