Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Franco Battiato

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    We need more Battiato here
    Frankie are you hype for Franco ?
    (miss you too brother Udester )

Yes, well, with the albums I have: Fetus, Pollution, Sulle Corde, Clic, and Gommalaca. All fairly terrific in their own right, although Pollution and Sulle have always been my go-to's. A VERY eclectic character not unlike Albert in that respect, but with such a different vision and artistic aesthetic. Its actually an interesting parallel between these two cats: both musical geniuses in their own way, yet fairly "unknown" to the general public at large, even amongst the proggers. Glad you're diggin Udi - there is always something wonderful to discover - new and olde - if you put yourself out there. He doesn't fit within the normal parameters of the heavily romantic and dramatic Italian prog (which is an endearing quality btw), but a bloke that marches in 11/8 time, yet not without a taste of the olde country.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

^ While it's true that Battiato's "progressive" work is somewhat undercommunicated (except with a specific cult audience - another analogy to Marcoeur's), he became a near-iconic character in Italian pop/rock with the advent of new wave in the late 70s and early 80s - and later on due to his status as eccentric celebrity sporting odd schlagers adn the likes. He was of course always a household name as producer as well.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Il silenzio del rumore
    delle valvole a pressione
    i cilindri del calore
    serbatoi di produzione...
    Anche il tuo spazio č su misura.
    Non hai forza per tentare
    di cambiare il tuo avvenire
    per paura di scoprire
    libertą che non vuoi avere...
    Ti sei mai chiesto
    quale funzione hai?
    All I have is Fetus, Pollution and Sulle corde di Aries. The first two are a weird electronic/avant-garde species of singer-songwriter music, the third is more like “aleatoric” classical electronic music. All are definitely worthwhile additions to my record collection. I’ve heard some of his later “pop” stuff and, thankfully, it’s not your usual San Remo-style drivel (Unlike Alan Sorrenti; if you’re thinking of investigating his later output, just DON’T!). He has collaborated with the progressive pop singer Alice, who I know some others here also enjoy.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

L'era del cinghiale bianco (from 79) is surprisingly well-rated on RYM (and on Gnosis & PA to a lesser extent)
    What is it like??

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Sulle Corde is fantastic. I also own Clic and Pollution, but found the cover of Fetus too off-putting to want it in my collection.

mmmhhh!!!... Did you also boycott the Birth Control artworks??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.