Thread: Best Remasters/Reissues/HD Releases to Seek Out - And Which to Avoid

Best Remasters/Reissues/HD Releases to Seek Out - And Which to Avoid

Watanabe posted this in the audiophile thread and being that thread discusses mostly equipment, I thought I'd start a new one on this topic.

Surprised at the relative lack of discussion on the sound quality of actual CD\LP releases in this thread.I thought this thread would have been a great resource on what remasters\versions of various bands to pick up or avoid, but this seems not be the case.

Anyway, i picked up the 4cd box THE YARDBIRDS STORY from charly recently and was extremely pleased with the sound quality.This might be the best sounding Yardbirds i've heard on cd and covers every recording they did under Gomelsky.
    So at the risk of starting a "Steven Wilson RUINED my life with this remaster" war, I'll open it up. I'd like some recommendations on 24 bit releases as well because sorting through 20 pages of bickering on the Hoffman forum gets tiresome. This discussion of course is by no means limited to prog. Any genre is open to discussion. But you know how I feel about country...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I think I recommended 'The Yardbirds Story' on an earlier thread. Charly can be hit and miss with sound quality, but this is one of their best releases. It's basically everything from that period in good sound and a cheap price for 4 CDs.

In direct relation to this thread, I would say that the tapes used on Rhino's 2-cd Yardbirds 'Ultimate!' are sometimes better but the mastering was shrill so all the benefit was lost.

I have a reissue of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album for which the bonus tracks are the single version of the title song, then a live version of the title song.

Totally worthless as bonus tracks. Nobody wants to hear IAGDV three times in a row!

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have a reissue of Iron Butterfly's In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album for which the bonus tracks are the single version of the title song, then a live version of the title song.

Totally worthless as bonus tracks. Nobody wants to hear IAGDV three times in a row!
    The live-version is just the drum-solo! It was a French B-Side Live edit.