Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: FEATURED CD - England : Garden Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    First of all, an unreserved recommendation for the fans of the good ol' Symphonic rock can be made. It's an extremely interesting cross between elements from the 70's Genesis and Yes. The band really knew how to use the characteristic stylistic devices of these two bands without looking like a copy. Rather, a variant that is unique of this kind has been created. Martin Henderson sings in higher registers and he sings well; his voice is clear and goes thoroughly with the music, and therewith he doesn't imitate Jon Anderson.
    From the instrumental side, the wonderful Mellotron and the wonderfully booming bass are particularly noteworthy. Parallels to Yes can be drawn precisely because of the variable bass playing, which is very similar to that of Chris Squire. From the general atmosphere one is closer to Genesis. In the case of the sophisticated polyphonic singing, Gentle Giant can also come to mind. Otherwise, what is offered here is wonderfully independent and refreshing.
    In terms of quality, England offer five really great songs. Particularly noteworthy is the extremely dynamic "Midnight Madness" as an introduction. Further highlights are the two long tracks "All Alone" and "Poisoned Youth". Here really all the elements are present that make the heart of every sympho-rock nostalgic beat faster. So the style of England is anything but getting used to, you feel at home somehow; "Garden Shed" is always fun if you are into the 'symphonic' sound of the Seventies.
    In the end, England weren't like the children who are so similar to the ancestors without reaching their own class and originality that one would rather turn back to the originals. Although the reminiscences and influences are audible, these Englishmen created their own mix of them, which they put under their own fund. After all, doesn't a genre emerge only when great role models get their creative followers?
    I have to say, I like the drumming on the album.

I was late to the party and discovered England through posts here on PE several years ago.
    I was able to find the remastered cd(Golden Edition) with bonus tracks and it has become one of my favorites from that time era.
    The followup album The Imperial Hotel is impossible to find, but I have Omnibus cd box set from Samurai of Prog which includes the entire Imperial Hotel re-recorded with Robert Webb. Highly recommended, it's a pure delight, and Robert Webb is wonderful as always.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Imperial Hotel was given away free on CD at a one-off Japanese gig some years ago. It is just a single track pushing 25 minutes in length, not another album as such.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Imperial Hotel was given away free on CD at a one-off Japanese gig some years ago. It is just a single track pushing 25 minutes in length, not another album as such.
    Thanks, it's so full of music, it seems longer. lol
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I've always loved this. I discovered it just some time later than the "big ones", and still love this as much if not more than those ones.
    There's a little thing that has ALWAYS bugged me off with it, tho. It's a strange "digital modem-like" sound you can hear at 5:46 - 5:47, in this song:
    https://youtu.be/OzG2D5t5NKg
    Very short but very loud. I've never understood what the heck could make that one sound. I also thought it might be a digital error happened during CD mastering. Anyone have a clue? Maybe it's not there on the vinyl version?
    It kind of ruins that beautiful guitar line, right after the moody modulation...I always cringe there.

sounds like some kind of feedback from the guitar to me.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I was late to the party and discovered England through posts here on PE several years ago.
    I was able to find the remastered cd(Golden Edition) with bonus tracks and it has become one of my favorites from that time era.
    The followup album The Imperial Hotel is impossible to find, but I have Omnibus cd box set from Samurai of Prog which includes the entire Imperial Hotel re-recorded with Robert Webb. Highly recommended, it's a pure delight, and Robert Webb is wonderful as always.
    I may well be wrong, but doesn't the Samurai of Prog CD also include England's version of the track? Or did I dream it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I may well be wrong, but doesn't the Samurai of Prog CD also include England's version of the track? Or did I dream it?
    I don't think so...I have the Omnibus set in the other room, I'll check the song listing on it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "The Imperial Hotel" is indeed also the title of a Samurai Of Prog-CD; the Omnibus box is a compilation-set. But theses albums do not feature the track played by England, although Robert Webb and Marin Henderson are both featured in this version.

Quote Originally Posted by Monet View Post
    (...) Further highlights are the two long tracks "All Alone" and "Poisoned Youth". (...)
    "All Alone" is not one of the two longer tracks, I guess you mean "Three Piece Suite"; the first (1:50) is a kind of prelude on the second (13:09).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    "All Alone" is not one of the two longer tracks, I guess you mean "Three Piece Suite"; the first (1:50) is a kind of prelude on the second (13:09).
    You're right, "All Alone" is "Introducing".

I was excited to see them at Baja Prog but unfortunately they (probably) didn't rehearse enough and I definitely remember them stopping to figure out what they were doing at least once. I did record the show but the quality isn't as good as I hoped. If anyone wants a copy please PM me.

The setlist as I wrote it down is:

1 Midnight Madness
    2 Paraffianlea
    3 Masters of War
    4 Yellow
    5 Lament for Alex
    6 All Alone
    7 Three Piece Suite
    8 Poisoned Youth

For those who aren't the coolest kids in the class and already own the CD version of The Imperial Hotel, , Robert Webb has made it available as a download on Bandcamp, along with a version by John Belushi.

^^^ Thanks for posting that. Imperial Hotel is quite a good epic; I had heard of it, but never actually heard it before now. I'll probably purchase it on next month's Bandcamp Friday.

^ I hadn't realized that from 1975, it predates the Garden Shed LP.

Thanks. This gives some hope for a CD-release (maybe through the Samurai Of Prog-label Seacrest Oy, which also released Webb's solo-album).

^ I wouldn't count on that. The original release was on CD and was a Limited Edition. Reissuing it on CD would kind of undercut those who got the original. However, stranger things have happened.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I wouldn't count on that. The original release was on CD and was a Limited Edition. Reissuing it on CD would kind of undercut those who got the original. However, stranger things have happened.
    It was given away free in limited numbers at concerts in Japan so the only thing being uncdercut would be the freedom to sell it at exhorbitant prices as some have done.
    Last edited by REFaust; 08-26-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    This live-album features a 10-minutes version of the track.
    https://www.discogs.com/England-Live...elease/5572395