Thread: RIP Patrick Macnee

RIP Patrick Macnee

Patrick Macnee, best known for playing John Steed throughout The Avengers' history, has died at 93 years old.

http://www.patrickmacnee.com/

I've been a fan of the show for about 10 years, loved it right from the first episode I saw ('From Venus With Love') for its eccentricity, humour and offbeat style. He and his (mostly) female co-stars were real icons of the 1960s and into the 70s with 'The New Avengers'.

RIP.

Yes, an icon of British TV. Frankly, I did not know he was still alive. I feel an Avengers weekend coming on.

Loved The Avengers. For those in the UK the show is frequently shown on the ITV channels!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    sorry to hear!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Suspended
    The Avengers was the kind of show only the British could, or would, do. No matter what harrowing situations he found himself in, it was always very important to John Steed that that hat stayed on correctly, nice and straight, and that that crease was maintained properly in those trousers. And it had to be the correct wine to finish the episode.

I didn't think he was that old but he was around for quite awhile. A very charismatic actor. RIP

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Frankly, I did not know he was still alive.
    Nor I.

I used to get Patrick MacNee and Patrick McGoohan confused. Not the actors, just their names.

^As with music, the 60s was a golden age for British television. Patrick McGoohan was another icon of that decade, especially for The Prisoner. Alas he died a few years ago.

Imo the best Christmas movie ever made, 1951's British "Christmas Carol" w/Alastair Sim. A very young MacNee appears as one of the two men seeking charitable contributions from Scrooge on Christmas Eve who, of course, get "humbugged".

RIP to a very gifted actor.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Loved his voice as the Imperious Leader(?) on Battlestar Galactica...with Jonathan Harris/Dr. Smith as the voice of Lucifer...but nothing ever topped Steed. --Peter