Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Journey kicks drummer off tour - Omar Hakim steps in

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Easily one of the best songs they ever recorded.
    When I got Frontiers on tape when it came out, I didn't even listen to the second side. Ten years ago I picked up when on an "explore Journey I missed" kick and was surprised how good most of it was , especially "Rubicon" and "Frontiers".

The D.A. has added new charges -- rape, sexual abuse, coercion and unlawful use of a weapon -- to his earlier charges of assault, coercion, and menacing and is now being held without bail:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/deen-c...e-new-charges/

Oh boy. That got ugly.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Oh boy. That got ugly.
    but quick...holy shit!

Well, Journey has always had high profile drummers, Prairie Prince, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Smith, Castronovo and now Hakim
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

^^^ with the exception of Dunbar, those drummers are just run of the mill.

Check out the fusion band Vital Information and if you still think Steve Smith is run of the mill, then all hope is gone.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Always sad when a member of the KISS Army falters…

Deen is a huge KISS fan and had commissioned custom replica KISS costumes from a costume designer. Here is is wearing some of them:

Last year he performed with a KISS tribute band (Rock And Roll Over) and sported the makeup, also. Here he is doing "Black Diamond":

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Check out the fusion band Vital Information and if you still think Steve Smith is run of the mill, then all hope is gone.
    Word to that brother. And Prarie Prince may be "just a rock drummer" so to speak but he's a hell of a good one. Steve Smith is up there in the world of guys like Vinnie Colaiuta though.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    I have seen Prince with both The Tubes and Jefferson Starship. I was impressed both times. As others have mentioned Steve Smith is considered to be a very talented drummer in most circles. Have also seen Castronovo and thought he was very good as well.

Just a reminder - many times they stack every charge they can think of in a case to try to make it look more daunting than it really is. We don't know the facts yet. I'm not defending the guy - just stating that we really don't know yet what is or isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    The D.A. has added new charges -- rape, sexual abuse, coercion and unlawful use of a weapon -- to his earlier charges of assault, coercion, and menacing and is now being held without bail:

http://www.tmz.com/2015/06/30/deen-c...e-new-charges/

Quote Originally Posted by The Fantastic Progo Rican View Post
    Well, Journey has always had high profile drummers, Prairie Prince, Aynsley Dunbar, Steve Smith, Castronovo and now Hakim
    Well, with all due respect to your opinion, those guys are hardly run of the mill...

It would have to at least be a really good mill.

I had no idea Omar and Rachel Z had gotten married... like 5 years ago! Use to follow her for most of the last decade and somehow she dropped off the radar. Apparently their last album as the Trio of OZ was all covers.

Deen Castronovo finally had his day in court and he pleaded guilty to two counts of fourth-degree assault constituting domestic violence, two counts of menacing constituting domestic violence, unlawful use of a weapon and coercion. He was handed a suspended sentence and four years of probation. If he violates the terms of his probation, a sentence of five years and five months in prison could be imposed.

While on probation, Castronovo cannot enter into a romantic relationship without permission from his probation officer, use controlled substances or alcohol, contact the victim, leave Oregon or enter into any bars unless for employment purposes, among other things. Marion County Circuit Judge Jamese Rhoades also required Castronovo to undergo counseling for domestic violence and drug abuse.

From http://www.statesmanjournal.com/stor...ilty/73878544/

I missed this thread when it started, but I'm seeing a lot of "Omar is over-qualified" for this gig comments, but here's the thing: the easiest way for a musician to frell up his career is to assume he's above taking certain gigs. This matter was addressed in the Wrecking Crew documentary I saw a couple months ago. I forget which musician it is, but one of them mentions that he watched a lot of guys talk themselves out of a career because they'd have a "I'm too good for this" attitude when offered jobs (either sessions, road work or whatever) that they felt was beneath them. You take whatever gig is offered you, and especially if it's a good paying gig, which I'm sure Journey has to be, hey, then that's even better.

As far as Simon Phillips being "over-qualified" for playing with Toto, was he over-qualified when he was playing with Jeff Beck or Pete Townshend? I actually reckon there's some fairly challenging stuff in the Toto catalog, things like Goodbye Elinore or You Supply The Love, where the time changes up in places.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Where to begin?!

Omar Hakim played with Miles FRELLING Davis. I'm pretty sure Miles never hired anyone but the best available musicians.

Deen Castronovo played with Cacophony, the band Marty Friedman was in before he joined Megadeth, on their second album, Go Off! He was also on Tony MacAlpine's second album, Maximum Security.

Steve Smith, besides playing with Vital Information, also played on Tony MacAlpine's first solo album, Edge Of Sanity.

Prairie Prince of course was in The Tubes. If all you know of The Tubes is Talk To Ya Later and She's A Beauty (which I was once told was essentially Toto pretending to be The Tubes), let me tell you, some of their album tracks are very different from the singles. Particularly their early records, there's a lot of stuff that would be very daunting for a "run of the mill" drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Where to begin?!

Prairie Prince of course was in The Tubes. If all you know of The Tubes is Talk To Ya Later and She's A Beauty (which I was once told was essentially Toto pretending to be The Tubes), let me tell you, some of their album tracks are very different from the singles. Particularly their early records, there's a lot of stuff that would be very daunting for a "run of the mill" drummer.
    Like Dunbar Prince was also a member of Jefferson Starship for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yeah, but I was trying to prove that Dunbar and Prince weren't merely "run of the mill" drummers, I wouldn't point to Jefferson Starship. Maybe the stuff Prince gets to play with them in recent years is more complicated (they do some of the Airplane and Blows Against The Empire material, don't they?), but when Dunbar was with them, it was pretty straight forward rock drumming. That said, that's actually my favorite period of Jefferson Starship, particularly the Winds Of Change album (after which the band went down the toilet...I always liked Kantner's explanation on the Behind The Music deal about why he left).

Steve Smith is probably one of the top 10 drummers on the planet. If someone doesn't believe it well... I don't have the time and energy to try and prove it. I actually like him the best of the bunch personally, and Hakim and Philips are also amazing. And Dunbar too. I wouldn't put Prince quite in the same stratosphere but he is seriously good. Hakim and Smith are really the two though that have serious jazz cred that also can play rock very well and don't have sticks up their butts that keep them from taking and enjoying gigs in bands that might be "beneath them".

That should be someone's stage name!

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Jefferson Starship was not a sorry group to play for at the time Dunbar was in there. Neither was it when Kantner and Balin reclaimed the name.
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Omar is a bit overqualified....
    So was Randy Jackson (bass)...amazing that he, of American Idol fame, played on Jean-Luc Ponty's Mystical Adventures and Civilized Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    So was Randy Jackson (bass)...amazing that he, of American Idol fame, played on Jean-Luc Ponty's Mystical Adventures and Civilized Evil.
    He also played on BOC's Shooting Shark, played with Journey on both the Raised On Radio record (terrible album, if you ask me) and it's subsequent tour, and I believe also played on Whitney Houston's first album. A lot of jazz and fusion guys from the 70's ended up making R&B records in the 80's. I suppose it's no different than prog bands making pop records during the same time period.