Thread: Supersilent

chalkpie

Supersilent

I just checked and was surprised that there was no official thread on these guys. Ian's thread on bands like Ronin/minimalist jazz rock had me thinking about this group. I only own "6" and love it, but its not a regular rotation at la casa Camiola. ALWAYS something new on each listen.

6 is also the only album I own (I need to get more). The first track is just fantastic !

I have attended one concert with them, the drummer was ill, so they were only 3.
    It was so intense and fascinating, that I didnt want to go for a leak (allthough I really was in need), I wouldn't miss a second of what was going on.

6 is generally considered their most altogether "representative" release, if not their crowning achievement as such. I remember being quite proud when Rune Gram published parts of my review on their website; it was essentially the first sign of an actual report between that label and some faction of a Norwegian "prog" community (I wrote it for a quarterly). Interestingly, Rune signed on more overtly "prog" styled artists after this, such as Jono El Grande, Elephant 9, El Doom, Panzerpappa, Grand General, Krokofant and so on.

Supersilent have become an institution in improvised music here in Scandinavia. I've seen them live on a number of occasions, and they always deliver - you just don't know exactly what in advance. Fabulous band.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hi guys...check my post on the trading post. I'm selling a bunch of supersilent for cheap

Someone is in for a good deal

best
    Michael
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Wonderful group. I'm a bit more partial to their madcap avant-jazz stylings of their early stuff, but I wouldn't want to be with 6, 11, or 12 either.

I hope one day that 7 gets a CD release. It feels wrong to have all the others numbers with this gaping hole.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

chalkpie
    I have never heard 10, but man this seems pretty special. The (obvious) Miles mood is one aspect, but its also pretty haunting, especially with this video being shown.

My favorites are 6 and 10, but there's stuff to discover on all of them.
    6 probably would be the best starting point if you haven't heard anything from them before.

If you by accident shouldnt have heard this track before:

You can read my reviews of Supersilent 8 through 10 here.

Enjoy!

I've seen Supersilent play live 2 times and both times were immensly impressive. DO NOT miss them when yu have the chance!
    In the living room I can only take small doses at a time though.

Suspended
    Is this the band that did a cover of john Cage's 4'33"? Or am I thinking of Nosound?

New Supersilent coming in September: https://soundcloud.com/smalltownsupe...upersilent-139

Good news !

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I've been playing their latest, 13, quite a bit lately. It's turning into one of my favorite albums this year.

Really looking forward to seeing them at the Big Ears Festival in March...

A bit too late but - European Tour: warsaw, london, copenhagen

https://www.facebook.com/pg/supersil...=page_internal

Any recent decent albums worth spinning by this merry consort? They've been silent to me for a while now.

I think they are less active, because they (Arve & Staale especially) are busy elsewhere.

A good reminder to spin them again. Thanx

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Wow, somehow I missed this thread despite the huge number of posts. I saw then at Big Ears in '16 (?) and they were excellent. I've only bought 11 so far, based on the above I should pick up 6 next.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The live DVD is quiet excellent, although it can't compare to the "blown backwards" feeling I had at Big Ears
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Any recent decent albums worth spinning by this merry consort? They've been silent to me for a while now.
    Super.

I'm not sure where you stopped, but 11 is highly excellent (although short) of 'leftovers' from the 8 sessions (apparently, 8 was originally planned as a triple album but didn't make it that way for whatever reason). 13 is my favorite of the trio version, dark and exciting.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.