Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When friends who don't take care of their albums want to borrow yours

When friends who don't take care of their albums want to borrow yours

This can be a really awkward situation, especially with your close friends and spouse/significant other. You look at their albums and see that they're scratched all to hell or have peanut butter and jelly on them. The cases/sleeves are broken or falling apart, or you watch how they handle LP's or CD's, and it makes you cringe. How do you handle this without insulting them?

i never lend my CD's out....... if someone wants to listen to one, i make them a copy.

^ Same here. Every time I've lent out a record -- every single time -- I've never gotten it back.

Sure, but what if it's someone you live with like a wife or roommate, and they want to just grab an album off the shelf? Are you going to make copies of your whole collection?

Many years ago I loaned the drummer I was working with at the time my LP of Led Zeppelin II. I found it a few weeks later at rehearsal out of the sleeve and under his high hat stand and completely trashed. The sleeve was on the floor on the other side of the room. He handed them to me like it was no big deal.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    Many years ago I loaned the drummer I was working with at the time my LP of Led Zeppelin II. I found it a few weeks later at rehearsal out of the sleeve and under his high hat stand and completely trashed. The sleeve was on the floor on the other side of the room. He handed them to me like it was no big deal.
    When you only have a drumstick, everything looks like a percussion instrument.

You should have asked him in advance why he wanted to borrow it. You probably assumed it was to listen to it.

Hey now, I'm a drummer and I've broken very few albums over the years. The real bummer was when I put the 12" splash on the turntable. Look on the bright side, using Led Zeppelin albums as cymbals vastly increases the quality of sound produced than actually playing them on a stereo.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

accidents can happen... I once ruined (it slipped from my hands when I was flipping iot over and fell onto the vortex pin and then on the floor) a James Gang album from a buddy I'd borrowed it. It was rare enough that I hadn't found it new or used ....

Vinyls were always a bit of a trick... but those close enough knew I cared for my discs, so I'd ask them to treat them as if it was me tha
    In general, to fuck CDs up, you sort of have to go out of your way for that...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    ^ Same here. Every time I've lent out a record -- every single time -- I've never gotten it back.
    That's another issue

I've never had the problem with discs (vinyl and CDs), but with books... I'd have to say the this amounts to 20 books (all sorts, from comics to novels to bios to music or arts books) lost forever.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    i never lend my CD's out....... if someone wants to listen to one, i make them a copy.
    QFT times a thousand. I even tell them to get their own blank CDs.

I only lend CD's & LP's out when I know they treet them like I do.
    And btw those who asks me, all have a decent culture regarding this, so its maybe 20 years ago since I worried last time.

If you are in doubt, make them low-grade mp3's send them with wetransfer.com and ask them to buy the album if they like it.

It is way less of a problem these days when everybody can stream anything for free, but I would typically make a friend a copy as I have had some sad losses / horrendously damaged returns in the past.

I got a bunch of the Rush remasters about 15+ years ago. My brother only wanted to hear his favorite - Grace Under Pressure - so I loaned it to him. Got it back all scratched up.

Now I'll make a copy - but it doesn't really come up anymore.
    <sig out of order>

I stopped lending stuff to anyone a long time ago after not getting my discs/albums back.

My daughter had little to no interest in my music so that wasn't much of a problem.

I made my significant other keep her stuff away from my collection as well. Although she fucked with me once and filed a Duran Duran CD in my collection. I guess it was a few months before I noticed it, but I remember saying "what the fuck is this?" It amused her to no end. She still likes to bring it up.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    The answer with me is always a resounding NO
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

I made my significant other keep her stuff away from my collection as well. Although she fucked with me once and filed a Duran Duran CD in my collection. I guess it was a few months before I noticed it, but I remember saying "what the fuck is this?" It amused her to no end. She still likes to bring it up.
    some 10 years ago, when visiting the Saturn in Koln with three buddies, they had wire-baskets at the entrance to take along while going through the racks and stock your findings (which were roughly some 15-30 CDs each by the end of the day)... and we'd slip a Culture Club or a Madonna album in the buddies' baskets, when he was not looking... then made of of them at one point or another...

we kind of stopped this inside joke, when one of them didn't spot the joke and ended paying for a Bay City roller CD ... he realized it after he paid.... Can't remember for sure if Saturn took the CD back, but it was a real pain, because no-one in the huge shop spoke english, dutch or french to explain it was a joke >> they didn't see the joke of forcing a BCR album onto a prog fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    some 10 years ago, when visiting the Saturn in Koln with three buddies, they had wire-baskets at the entrance to take along while going through the racks and stock your findings (which were roughly some 15-30 CDs each by the end of the day)... and we'd slip a Culture Club or a Madonna album in the buddies' baskets, when he was not looking... then made of of them at one point or another...

we kind of stopped this inside joke, when one of them didn't spot the joke and ended paying for a Bay City roller CD ... he realized it after he paid.... Can't remember for sure if Saturn took the CD back, but it was a real pain, because no-one in the huge shop spoke english, dutch or french to explain it was a joke >> they didn't see the joke of forcing a BCR album onto a prog fan.

with me, you or one of your friends would have either gotten it for Christmas or had it arrive at your workplace as a mysterious mailing from a "lawyer"

Actually, my problem was women I was dating that wanted to play their albums that they treated like crap played on my system. I didn't want their vinyl with more dips and hills than a motocross track bashing away at my stylus.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Actually, my problem was women I was dating that wanted to play their albums that they treated like crap played on my system. I didn't want their vinyl with more dips and hills than a motocross track bashing away at my stylus.
    actually my cartride had a Shure stylus, and whenever somùeone with crappy vinyls came around, I just swapped it with my older worn one, storing away the (good) new

Suspended
    I guess it depends on how much of a friend they are, and how much you value the friendship vs how much you value the album.

Over the years, when I have lent out something it has normally been at my own instigation. I actually lent a Uni colleague two porcupine Tree CD's, which I suppose was taking a chance because the band are practically unknown in this country. We weren't even close friends, but she was an interesting person, with certain overlapping musical tastes to mine; she wasn't familiar with PT and i thought it was just a nice thing to do. Got them back undamaged - along with effusive thanks for introducing her to this music.

I value my friendships enough NOT to lend them the albums.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird
    You look at their albums and see that they're scratched all to hell or have peanut butter and jelly on them. The cases/sleeves are broken or falling apart, or you watch how they handle LP's or CD's, and it makes you cringe.
    People who treat albums thusly deserve to be locked in a room and forced to listen to bad music forever. Or bad music that skips.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I never leant albums, but I'll lend a CD unless it's rare or out of print.

In the early 90s I was dating a gal who wanted to borrow a few CDs. I said sure, handed them to her and got out a notebook. She asked what I was doing. I told her I had so many cassettes and CDs lent out I wanted to keep track. She was very insulted and absolutely refused to borrow the CDs. Oh well.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
    I never leant albums, but I'll lend a CD unless it's rare or out of print.

In the early 90s I was dating a gal who wanted to borrow a few CDs. I said sure, handed them to her and got out a notebook. She asked what I was doing. I told her I had so many cassettes and CDs lent out I wanted to keep track. She was very insulted and absolutely refused to borrow the CDs. Oh well.
    Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    This can be a really awkward situation, especially with your close friends and spouse/significant other. You look at their albums and see that they're scratched all to hell or have peanut butter and jelly on them. The cases/sleeves are broken or falling apart, or you watch how they handle LP's or CD's, and it makes you cringe. How do you handle this without insulting them?
    Give them a USB key with the albums on it. Isn't this the only way most people could even play the albums?

This question feels at least 10 years too old.