Thread: The Debate Over Middle A

The Debate Over Middle A

Interesting article in many ways!

http://ajournalofmusicalthings.com/t...zis-and-satan/
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Yes, it's interesting. I can't listen to the samples at work, but this part:

"A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432 Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature."

...sounds like it could have been written by Jon Anderson - and that's not a compliment.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    "The recent rediscoveries of the vibratory / oscillatory nature of the universe indicate that this contemporary international concert pitch standard may generate an unhealthy effect or anti-social behavior in the consciousness of human beings."

What a lod of horse-shit. Besides which, it does not seem to have occurred to them that music consists of lots of other notes besides Middle-A.

It's a wonder the article didn't attempt to link it with chemtrails.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    "A=432 Hz, known as Verdi’s ‘A’ is an alternative tuning that is mathematically consistent with the universe. Music based on 432 Hz transmits beneficial healing energy, because it is a pure tone of math fundamental to nature."

...sounds like it could have been written by Jon Anderson - and that's not a compliment.

I took those video tests, and maybe due to much ear training as a youth, I picked the A=440 cases as sounding better most of the time.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Suspended
    When you've demonstrated your hearing acuity by identifying Middle-A, try your skills on this note:

The lowest note in the universe. 57 octaves below Middle C.

Paul Robeson, eat your heart out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Yes, it's interesting. I can't listen to the samples at work, but this part:

I haven't opened the link yet, but that quote reminds me of this: John Coltrane once told (his drummer) Elvin Jones that there's a series of notes that when played, removes all friction from the universe. Evidently, they still have yet to be played.

I love most of Coltrane's music madly, but I sometimes get the impression (no pun) that towards the end, he was beginning to lose his mind.

There was a huge thread on this at the worlds largest conspiracy site(not that that means anything, just saying) years ago. Totally lost me as it's all math but I'll see if I can find it. It might be interesting reading to someone here. I didn't read the article but the dude on that site said it was A-432, I believe, that was "in tune with the earth" or whatever the hell he was on about.

Found it. If you dare, have fun.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread322096/pg1

Like hell if I would know. I'm just a drummer and they only let us up on stage to see if it is level(depends on which side the drool is coming from, you see).
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Based on the vids 432 is way more enjoyable to my earbulbs.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Wow. That site is all kinds of fun!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    John Coltrane once told (his drummer) Elvin Jones that there's a series of notes that when played, removes all friction from the universe.
    That would make the roads damn slippery.

In that blind test video I picked 440 on every occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    There was a huge thread on this at the worlds largest conspiracy site(not that that means anything, just saying) years ago. Totally lost me as it's all math but I'll see if I can find it. It might be interesting reading to someone here. I didn't read the article but the dude on that site said it was A-432, I believe, that was "in tune with the earth" or whatever the hell he was on about.

Found it. If you dare, have fun.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread322096/pg1

Like hell if I would know. I'm just a drummer and they only let us up on stage to see if it is level(depends on which side the drool is coming from, you see).
    Youre right, that was a fun read ....Here is the fallacy when trying to apply Phi (the Golden Ratio) to the so-called "Proof" : The value for one second is a human construct - that value isnt found in nature. Had we deemed the value for "one second" to be longer or shorter than what it presently is, than the amount of actual cycles-per-second would be a higher or lower number depending on what we deem to be a one second interval

I can't believe you read that. Then again, I'm kinda surprised I read as much of it as I did. I do believe it went on for a while.

I only posted it so others could see it has been talked about before. Any conclusions made there I don't have the knowledge to really understand. I almost understand what you are saying but not sure of the context as that thread is old and I remember little and I only skimmed the article in the OP. Just so I could see it was the same topic and it might be a neat addition to this thread. Might not but you never know.

Maths of that level confuse me so this subject I know of but have no opinion as I just don't get it all. I don't play that type of instrument to even try and see if it works or not. It's like quantum physics. I can watch a show like Through The Wormhole but that doesn't mean I know anything about QP.

how about cutting the pear in half and tune in at 436 Hz??

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Based on the vids 432 is way more enjoyable to my earbulbs.
    I enjoyed both equally
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    High vibration go on...

Personally, I think middle F# has a bad press that it doesn't deserve.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Maths of that level confuse me so this subject I know of but have no opinion as I just don't get it all.
    Maths of that level confuses a lot of people, and that's why those who write this stuff are able to get away with bullshit. Readers see mathematical terms mentioned that they might have heard elsewhere in reference to mathematical concepts, and they think "I don't know this stuff, but this guy obviously does, he must be talking sense."

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Maths of that level confuses a lot of people, and that's why those who write this stuff are able to get away with bullshit. Readers see mathematical terms mentioned that they might have heard elsewhere in reference to mathematical concepts, and they think "I don't know this stuff, but this guy obviously does, he must be talking sense."
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That would make the roads damn slippery.
    Oh, my God, I laughed at that hard this morning.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Thing is, I know math and music are almost interchangeable. When Nigel Tufnel proposed to change everything from the key, of, say, A, to the key of 1, I understood the joke but also realized it could easily work.

2/4, 4/4, 3/4, 5/4, 7/8....1,2,4,8 16, 32, well, you get my point. If you can't at the very least, count, then you can't play music and it all really does come down to math. Even vibrations are measured in numbers so it at least has to be considered.

Now, whether anyone proposing the A-432 vs. A-440 is right or wrong, I don't know. Nigel was a bit off on his recommendation of a sonic capo wrapped around his amp so maybe I've been listening to the wrong people.