Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What bands have too few live albums?

Bob Dylan could use more live records from about 1989 upwards.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I don't know. I thought Before the Flood was sufficient. Hard Rain was mediocre. I was done buying his albums before the 90s.

Anyway, to answer the main question, I can't think of any. Most of my favorite bands have too many live albums with too many of the same songs on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    A live Kraftwerk track, circa 1975, turned up in my shuffle sequence recently. I'm thinking that an official live Kraftwerk album from that period is never going to happen, not in a million years.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I was nearly going to mention Kraftwerk as a joke.

From what i have heard, even their actual concerts had so much of the action performed by computer that is was hard to tell what was real-time and what was pre-programmed. On one occasion they ended the show by walking off stage in the middle of the song, leaving their computerised synthesisers to finish playing the song.
    I don't think they started really using sequencers until later? I've seen some videos and they seem to tap everything out on these crazy homemade instruments they've got, they look like boxes full of tin foil...in some performances they are even (stiffly) dancing around! An official disc from this period would be awesome - I have a great boot called "Nippon Numbers" which features a sort of double-time, almost thrashy version of "It's More Fun to Compute"...awesome!

Their official live disc, Minimum-Maximum, is excellent, by the way...but I do question how much of it was really live (as I did when I saw them in 2008...but didn't matter, the show was amazing)

Anyway - I think it's easy to mention bands who put out too many discs (King Crimson and Yes definitely come to mind), though I do agree with an earlier poster that if you don't like it, you don't have to buy them - though at times it definitely feels like the collectors are being bilked. As for a band that desperately needed a good live album, how about Can? There are lots of bad-sounding boots out there (one was even officially released), and they really ruled in concert, but so little of what they have was recorded well. The Lost Tapes rectified this somewhat, but man, what I wouldn't give for a good '72-'74 era recording...
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I liked both Before the Flood and Hard Rain but since Real Live in '84 there just hasn't been much live material with the exception of a handful of tracks here and there.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.