Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: David Gilmour "Rattle That Lock"..

16 seconds is way too short to form an opinion afaic. Right now all I got is...hmmmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    16 seconds is way too short to form an opinion afaic. Right now all I got is...hmmmmmmmm.

totally agree, of course ... but my first reaction is a yukkkkk - poor choice of sample
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Was that Everything But The Girl?
    I thought it sounded a lot like Gotye.

That note progression is supposed to have been taken from a set of notes played on French railway stations. Thank heavens he was in France and not in Sydney. I'm sure any Sydney members will agree with me - those notes they play before CityRail station announcements are the most banal melody imaginable.

Link

David's new album Rattle That Lock will be released worldwide on Friday, September 18, 2015 on Columbia Records. The first single, also titled 'Rattle That Lock', will be released digitally tomorrow, Friday, July 17th, 2015.

Additionally, David's 2016 North American dates have been confirmed for March and April, with stops in Los Angeles, Toronto, Chicago and New York. Ticket buyers will be among the first to receive the new album, as every ticket purchased online will include a Rattle That Lock CD*.

Tickets for the North American concert dates, David's first since the On An Island tour in 2006, go on sale tomorrow, Friday, July 17th, with individual venue times listed below.

March 24, 2016 – Hollywood Bowl, Los Angeles – on sale 12pm (PST).
    Click here when onsale begins.

March 31, 2016 – Air Canada Centre, Toronto – on sale 10am (EST).

April 8, 2016 – United Center, Chicago – on sale 12pm (CST).

April 11, 2016 – Madison Square Garden, New York – on sale 10am (EST).

Tickets will also be available at Ticketmaster.com, at all Ticketmaster outlets, or by phone. See the Live Dates page for all details.

Rattle That Lock follows the 2006 #1 platinum album On An Island, and once again features novelist Polly Samson as primary lyricist, as well as Phil Manzanera, who co-produced the album with David. The striking cover was art directed by Dave Stansbie from The Creative Corporation under the creative directorship of Aubrey Powell from Hipgnosis.

The tracklisting is:
    1. 5 A.M. (Gilmour)
    2. Rattle That Lock (Gilmour/Samson/Boumendil)
    3. Faces Of Stone (Gilmour)
    4. A Boat Lies Waiting (Gilmour/Samson)
    5. Dancing Right In Front Of Me (Gilmour)
    6. In Any Tongue (Gilmour/Samson)
    7. Beauty (Gilmour)
    8. The Girl In The Yellow Dress (Gilmour/Samson)
    9. Today (Gilmour/Samson)
    10. And Then... (Gilmour)

The title track, 'Rattle That Lock', will be heard for the first time in the UK on BBC Radio 2's Chris Evans Show, hosted by Sara Cox, on Friday, July 17th and will be available immediately to download and stream worldwide. The song begins with the four notes, created by Michaël Boumendil, which precede announcements at French SNCF railway stations which David recorded on his phone at Aix-en-Provence station. Polly's lyrics were inspired by Book II of John Milton's Paradise Lost, which is also featured in her recent acclaimed novel, The Kindness. The single also features The Liberty Choir, as well as singers Mica Paris and Louise Marshall.

The Rattle That Lock album will be available in a CD edition with clothbound, foil-blocked cover, including a 22-page booklet, but also on heavyweight vinyl, digital download and a deluxe box edition, which includes 4 Barn Jam films, 4 non-album audio tracks, 4 documentaries, and 2 promo clips. Available in CD+DVD or CD+Blu-ray versions, the deluxe edition also includes 2 hardback books, a double-sided poster, a postcard in a dedicated envelope and a David Gilmour plectrum.

Pre-ordering for all editions will be available around the world at various times tomorrow, July 17th.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Suspended
    I wonder if M'sieur Boumendil has released any solo stuff?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Anyone find any ticket prices for tomorrow's sale?
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing...The ticketmaster page doesn't exit from the link from his website..I'm worried that ticketbastard is gonna play games and bend us all over

I've no doubt that this will be quite expensive.

Really wish he wasn't so stingy with the cities that he's visiting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    NYC-
    US $75.00 - US $190.00
    US $75.00 (US $92.20 with fees), US $190.00 (US $218.55 with fees)

VIP package$$ too.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Boy...Dave seems downright animated and happy!

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Boy...Dave seems downright animated and happy!
    I noticed he is not using a pick on the old Telecaster. I think Jeff Beck has been influential for that choice because he is David's favorite guitarist.

OK, that's better. And I don't mind the 80s smooth pop thing as long as it's well done and as long as there's a HEALTHY AMOUNT of Gilmour Guitar God-ness.

I'll withhold any more critiquing until I've heard more.

But how about some west coast dates, Dave?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

He's playing at The Hollywood Bowl March 24,2016.

Similar to the sort of song you might hear on a latter-day Donald Fagen album.

There are only 3 US dates so far,and may be no more. New York,Chicago,Los Angeles.

He's playing at The Hollywood Bowl March 24,2016.
    I have never been there and I can't think of a better reason to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckie View Post
    Similar to the sort of song you might hear on a latter-day Donald Fagen album.
    There's going to be an EP released also, with David and guest stars Donald Fagen on keys and backing vocals, Sting on bass and vocals, Rod Stewart on any girl in the studio, and Ringo Starr on drums.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

https://vid.me/1noM

Single uploaded here

It's more upbeat than anything on the last one. Sort of has a Talking Heads meets Steely vibe. Definitely different for Dave, in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    https://vid.me/1noM

Single uploaded here
    sounds like this track could've found its place on About Face 30 yearsc ago
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    sounds like this track could've found its place on About Face 30 years ago
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

Kinda cool that you get a free copy of the CD with buying my tickets...Wish me Luck...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Kinda cool that you get a free copy of the CD with buying my tickets...Wish me Luck...
    Free? Not so sure about that...