Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Hall of Fame; almost as irritating as the R&R HoF

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Video Game Hall of Fame; almost as irritating as the R&R HoF

Found this somewhere online:

4 Jun 2015 at 18:22, Shaun Nichols

The Strong Museum's first Hall of Fame for video games has appointed its first six honorees, but has omitted some major names in the process.

Pong, Pac Man, Tetris, Super Mario Bros, DOOM, and World of Warcraft were the first games to win inauguration for the new Hall of Fame.

Pong was cited for its influence on popular culture upon its 1972 debut, as was Pac Man (1982) and Tetris (1984).

Super Mario Bros was noted for its role in resurrecting the video game market in the late 1980s, while World of Warcraft was nominated for its multiplayer modes and Doom gained notoriety for its violent nature and ability to allow user modifications, helping to spawn a market of DIY game programmers who built add-ons based on the Doom game engine.

"The games in the inaugural class of The Strong’s World Video Gamed Hall of Fame span multiple decades, countries of origin, and gaming platforms, but all have significantly affected the video game industry, popular culture, and society in general," the Museum said in a statement.

The first class of the gamer record will exclude some notable titles, including the likes of Space Invaders, Minecraft, andThe Legend of Zelda, who were named finalists but did not make the cut to the first class.

Other games omitted were The Oregon Trail Pokemon and Sonic the Hedgehog, both of whom were nominated but didn't quite make the cut based on their lack of impact on popular culture. Feel free to add your own nominations in the forums.

The Hall of Fame is run by the National Museum of Play, a branch of the Margaret Woodbury-Strong Museum of Play library in New York City.

No MYST? Bastards.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    No MYST? Bastards.
    We need to start a petition!
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Wow. That's real? I saw something about that the other day, but thought it was satire.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Wow. That's real? I saw something about that the other day, but thought it was satire.
    never assume anything is satire. unless it's an art hall of fame that nominates Thomas Kinkade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The American Museum of the Moving Image in Queens used to have a great exhibit of early arcade video games. It was great to see those again.

I can't believe they don't include Space War (the first arcade video game). And Asteroids and Space Invaders?

No Xevious?

Jann Wenner sucks
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The world of classic video gaming is endlessly entertaining. If you haven't seen it by all means check out the documentary The King Of Kong.

Adventureland, the first Scott Adams text adventure? He-hello?

I'm NOT a video player / gamer by any means so I don't know a whole hell of a lot, but I'm surprised that Grand Theft Auto wasn't among the nominees.

my favorite things about video games (besides "god mode" and "all the real cool shit weaponry" cheat codes) are easter eggs. One of my favorite things about music, movies and books, too.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar

Wait, where's Marble Madness?! Space Invaders? Asteroids? Dig Dug? Frogger? Centipede? Galaga? Galaxian? Galplus?

Man, I coulda owned an Oberheim Matrix 12 with all the quarters I pumped into those stupid machines!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I LOVED that game. And the console it was in was so cool. Like a futuristic (for the mid-70s) kiosk molded in curvy, blue, glittery fiberglass.

Doom is pretty deserving, as it seemed to launch a major style of game. All I've ever played of Doom is a demo disk I had with the first few levels, but that demo was enough - it was endless fun.

I'm not a video game player at all but...no Space Invaders?!? Asteroids? Missile Command? And even further back, Colossal Cave and Star Trek...

Colossal Cave. I was thinking of that myself. Text-based games are still going strong today with stuff like Improbable Island...

PLUGH!

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I'm not a video game player at all but...no Space Invaders?!? Asteroids? Missile Command? And even further back, Colossal Cave and Star Trek...
    Do you mean the Star Trek game played on a Teletype? That should have been inducted really.

Suspended
    To all those saying "Why didn't ( _ _ _ _ _ ) get nominated, I imagine their criteria include something about being a certain numbers of years old, much like the music Hall of Fame.

Honestly, if something irritates you that much, why bother to follow it? Unlike the R&R HoF, this news is not thrust in your faces.

And incidentally I always thought Pacman was a bit of a spunk. Did you know that when the game was imported to the US from Japan, the original name was Puckman? They changed the name because they envisaged the lettering of the name being vandalised on consoles - would have been very easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you mean the Star Trek game played on a Teletype? That should have been inducted really.
    This one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28text_game%29

Playing it on a teletype must have been a good way of wasting paper!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    To all those saying "Why didn't ( _ _ _ _ _ ) get nominated, I imagine their criteria include something about being a certain numbers of years old, much like the music Hall of Fame.
    It's the opposite problem - not inducting classics like Space Invaders or Asteroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    This one:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28text_game%29

Playing it on a teletype must have been a good way of wasting paper!
    I played the Colossal Cave Adventure on a teletype a few times and yes, it wasted reams of paper lol It's because we were playing remotely via modem (which also made playing glacially slow). Local players could use crt monitors.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That would disqualify it as a video game, then. No?

Moon Lander was another teletype game. Mustn't forget Zork ( It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. )
    Defender!
    During a somewhat desperate period, I was an arcade attendant.
    Pretty much killed my love of arcade games.
    It also showed the lengths people would go to for a free game. Pretty sad. kids, adults ( in suits ).

I hope Wing Commander gets the nod. I played that series obsessively back in the 90's.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Mustn't forget Zork ( It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue. )
    That was a Colossal Cave quote! Did Zork use it too? Zork was Infocom, right? Did it predate that? That would have been in the PC era... (Hmmm, going by Wiki it did...)